Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2001, 01:57 PM   #1
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

As I have been nagging about the last 40 posts or so, I am playing a fighter/mage/thief going solo.

In this game I have found out that it is a lot easier and more effective to kill monsters with just one character. I killed everyone in the twisted rune fairly early in the game, and after that I killed Kangaxx and all of the Cowled wizards, and then I killed the Koshi-group (Koshi has the Celestial fury).

Now I don't have to worry about my companions getting killed all the time, or have to wait for the other persons in the group that isn't hasted. I don't have to reload much either, since if things are getting too hot, I just run away, or take an invisibility potion/spell, or a "protection from undead"-scroll. If I meet some really tough monsters, I just use some level 7-9 scrolls to help me.

One bad thing though is that you cannot be dominated, because that means death, so I have to be really careful with some monsters. I think it will be pretty tough when I meet my first mindflayer.

Of course I have to cheat a little (legal cheats), meaning I use the wand of cloudkill and the wand of monster summoning pretty often, otherwise I would have to rest a lot. I can survive for months without any healing potions or spells because of these wands. There are also a lot of scrolls out there, and I use them all the time.

What I mean by this, is that if you are interested in playing the game over again, but don't have that much time, I would suggest that you play a fighter/mage/thief solo. Chapter 3 took about 2 hours (real time) for me.
Old 03-03-2001, 02:03 PM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I just finished playing a jester solo. Very challenging as I had to develop a totally different strategy to the last time I soloed, with a kensai-mage.

The downside to playing solo is you miss out on a lot of NPC interaction which I think is the biggest attraction of BG2. If I wanted to powergame solo I'd probably play IWD or Diablo. Just my opinion.

Re: legal cheats, i think that "cheezy solutions" is probably a more accurate description, as you're not really cheating, you're making use of an inadequacy in the game's engine.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Holy Flame
Old 03-03-2001, 02:10 PM   #3
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Ja, you are probably right. My first game was more fun to play because of the NPC's in my group. Besides, now I know every move I am going to make in the future.
Old 03-03-2001, 02:24 PM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Try picking a non-traditional character, like an avenger or totemic druid, and see how good it really is. I originally thought the jester was a joke but it's turned out to be one of my favorite characters.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Holy Flame
Old 03-03-2001, 03:21 PM   #5
Hesperex

I soloed through IWD twice, once with a Paladin and once with a ranger/cleric, which was fun for a bit but rather boreing after a wile.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Hesperex (edited 03-03-2001).]

Old 03-03-2001, 03:44 PM   #6
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Solo is fun, it provides a different perspective to the game. Any reckless actions can probably lead to your death no matter how powerful you are. But I would agree when playing solo I sort of miss the party interactions (or fights). Oh well, nothing is perfect.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-04-2001, 02:26 AM   #7
Dimension X
Dungeon Master

First-Person RPG, anyone?

------------------
A Drawn Sword;
A Trickle Of Blood;
The Tempest Is Brewing.
Nemesis....
Old 03-04-2001, 02:39 AM   #8
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

The last first person RPG I played was Daggerfall, but after seeing the favorable replies on Wizards and Warriors, I might just give it a try.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-04-2001, 12:36 PM   #9
Vicotnik
Zhentarim Guard

My hat goes off to you people! Soloing is something I've never thought a good idea! I might try it now

------------------
Vicotnik, archmage of the Holy Flame - Challenge me... and die.
Old 03-04-2001, 12:45 PM   #10
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Vicotnik:
My hat goes off to you people! Soloing is something I've never thought a good idea! I might try it now

i soloed BGII with assasin... to tell you the truth, in the beginning part was PAIN IN THE ASS. 6 mephits kick my ass 7 times straight, and my assasin could hit shit, he got like 17 thac0 (14 hide in shadow).

I had to plan a lot of details, like what proficient to use and where to go next is the best move. it became SO MUCH easier after i dualed to fighter, lets make this clear, BGII is designed for fighters. (maybe it is not itentional) the fighter can get along so freak easy. they aint any fight a fighter cannot handle...