Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2004, 12:14 PM   #1
Doghin
Welcomed New User

Ok heres the basics... I have Neverwinter nights and the expansions for them on my computer and I would like my girlfriend (who loves these types of games) to play them with me in a kind of Co-Op way... But I dont want to shell out more money to buy the games all over again for maybe a few hours of us playing it... Does anyone know of a way that it can be played on two computers at the same time over a LAN where we can both be playing at the same time... So far everything I have tried doesn't work and she really wants to play this with me.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:44 PM   #2
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

I think you have to buy another copy, it doesn't allow the same serial codes to play network (i think) to stop copying the disks and using an illegal pirate one [img]smile.gif[/img]

Edit: Welcome to ironworks Doghin [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]

[ 09-12-2004, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Ivelliis ]
Old 09-12-2004, 02:57 PM   #3
Doghin
Welcomed New User

Thanks I read somewhere that if you are using a router that all you had to do was just connect the ethernet cable directly to the computers...

I haven't tried that yet but I plan to soon. I also dont remember where I read it cause it was quite a few months ago before my girlfriend told me she liked games like that!

I can understand them trying to find ways to stop people from pirating games after all they have to make a living like everyone else, but it does become annoying for those of us who aren't out to make money from it and just wanna play the game with someone else in your own home.

My personal opinion is that you should have to register your game before you can play it and that the license should be per household not per computer.

If I do find a way to do it I will post on here letting people know [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again for your feedback and thanks for your welcome [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2004, 05:45 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

As Ivelliis said, they prevent you from doing that. Same thing with Microsoft...you have to have a different copy for each PC in the building or you get fined real big.

There is no "legal" work-around this feature, and if you find an "illegal" way to do it, please do not post it here on Ironworks.

This website does not support discussions on piracy. Our Terms of Service details this rule.

Besides all that, I welcome you to our forums and hope you get the situation worked out! I would love it if my wife even showed a mild interest in my games...but she will have nothing to do with it. My suggestion is to go ahead and marry this girl friend of yours because you won't find many of her kind everyday. If you want to remain happy for the rest of your life...you'd grab her and not let her go!!!!!!
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 07:45 PM   #5
m3th0dm4n
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I saw a thread on the official forums and a game designer piped in: No and that's illegal.
m3th0dm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 11:26 AM   #6
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

Aw, that sucks.... My wife and I play Baldur's Gate on PS2 and I have been telling her about NWN. We now have 2 computers and I thought that we'd be able to play together. I told her about it and she really wants to. I guess I am naive, but I thought we could just link the two computers together to play... What a let-down. We can't afford to go out and buy another copy and then what, do I need a seperate internet connection with another phone line or something. That really sucks. Sucky suck suck suck.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:53 AM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
do I need a seperate internet connection with another phone line or something.
That part, I am not sure about. I would assume that a router would be the only hook-up you need. Same ISP hookup and all. You just need two seperate game ID codes. But I will let somebody that knows more about it talk.
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 12:01 PM   #8
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnabas:
do I need a seperate internet connection with another phone line or something.
for my house we have a cable modem downstairs. A (very) long network cable runs up the stairs, under the floorboards and into the router in my parents room. A network cable goes to my dads PC, and we have 2 WLAN cards into the other 2 laptops. We all have the same IP address etc., so I'd guess you'd be ok.
If that is the case then you should be on the same LAN.
You will have to buy a new copy, but if you have them linked via LAN you should be able to play via LAN and not internet As you have more than one computer using the same internet the bandwidth will be divided, so it might be slower than using 1 PC [img]smile.gif[/img]