Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2007, 02:28 AM   #1
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

I've not touched this game since I joined the army roughly 5 years ago, and I was surprised that when I recently started a new game, I found my self reciting the dialogue before it was even spoken. I was hoping that the game I overplayed so much, would be fresh and new to me once again, however its seems that 5 years isnt enough to wipe this masterpiece from mind.

I recently downloaded Easy Tutu (great program that did breath new life into the old game), and took a dual wielding Kensai through BG1 (which was quite nice [img]smile.gif[/img] ) and then the rest of the series, however even after this long absence from the game it seems old.

So whats new? I normally steer clear of fan made mod's, from experience I've found them to be cheap and tacky, but there has to be a few good ones out there, right? I stumbled upon Ascension and the Improved Tougher Bhaalspawn by David Gaider which look pretty cool concidering there semi-offical, and was wondering if anyone has soloed them yet? I soloed through with a lot of classes back in the day, and got great satisfaction, so this could be the last great challenge, or am I wasting my time?

So can anyone recommend any decent mods? and not the general cheese I've come to expect?

Finally a couple of questions that have been playing on my mind:

1) Since coming back to these forums I've seen quite a few references to the Celestial Fury +5?? When did it become upgradable? because this was always my favoured weapon and I'm 99% sure I never missed this upgrade, I'm inclined to believe its a mod however these posts make no reference to any mods so I'm at a loss.

2) I'm pretty frustrated that in my last game I didnt get Sarevoks alignment to chance, that was my sole reason for taking party members, I didnt even get any banters from him, I was wondering if he gets a different epilogue if you change him to C/G.

Well thats all folks! sorry its a bit lengthy.
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:23 AM   #2
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Tactics mod is good but basically functions to make the enemies harder rather than chaning much of the game although it does add some more encounters. You'll want that one. So many players play with Tactics on here that it's almost considered the base game now by many.

I read good things about the 'Unfinished Business' mod that includes new quests and other tweaks. I'm not sure if it's compatible with Tactics

CF +5 is part of the appropriately titled Item Upgrade mod. This adds new recipes to Cespenar and the dwarf smith in Akathla who's name has fled from my brain temporarily . . .
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #3
OTG
Elite Waterdeep Guard

@Daniel - I recommend the Improved Anvil mod if you want your combat to be more challenging. The enemies are more intelligent, but their scripts don't make them do cheesy or 'illegal' things like some other difficulty enchancing mods do. There's also additional content, especially in the forthcoming Improved Anvil v4.

@Armen - The dwarven smith is called Cromwell. And yes, Tactics is compatible with Unfinished Business.

[ 03-08-2007, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: OTG ]
OTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:46 PM   #4
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

of course it is - there was no digging that out of my head this morning [img]smile.gif[/img]

i haven't heard of Anvil - i'll have a look see
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:07 AM   #5
thetruth
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I agree with OTG's comments.

Improved Anvil is a very good tactical mod which adds a LOT of tough battles in the game. It has much more content than other similar mods (Tactics,I.Battles,Ascension), but note that some battles can be more difficult than those of Tactics f.e..

Also IA (especially the forthcoming 4th version) is much more difficult to solo and probably impossible for most of the classes.
You need a very well balanced and powerful party to get through some of the toughest fights of the mod.

I suggest to anyone who likes this kind of mods to give it a try
Just wait for IA4. Probably it will be released in less than a week.
thetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:56 AM   #6
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks for the info guys, I just started a solo attempt through ascention, but I'll be sure to check these out if I'm successful.
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:22 AM   #7
Mahokenshi
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Also, to be fair.

There are some nicer fan made mods that date more recently than five years ago.

There are a couple of nice NPC mods, and some nice quest mods, available at http://www.pocketplane.net Some of them near pro-grade quality. Some of them ARE pro-grade stuff cut from the game (Unfinished Business.) All told, hours of fun stuff.

[ 03-21-2007, 04:24 AM: Message edited by: Mahokenshi ]
Mahokenshi is offline   Reply With Quote