Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2003, 11:52 PM   #1
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

or lack there of
it seems as though there isnt any sushi grade fish in the greater orlando area!
ah well, cant say i really blame all of those supermarkets and oriental marts for not carrying it, after all its expensive and theres not a huge population of people who like to eat raw or nearly raw fish in the area.
But still! i wana make a bunch of traditional japanese foods and am unable to find the appropriate fishies to do so

Why am i suddenly seeking sushi you ask? well, ever since i started watching anime a whole lot a month or two ago, it seems that in practically every episode there is some cook or another making delicious things for the other characters in the anime. just hafta wonder, what does this japanese food taste like? ive gone to a sushi restaurant once, but its sooo expensive its not funny! i mean a little plate with enough to fill me up half way was 20 bucks. best to make these sorts of things at home so all im spending is ingrediants instead of labor.

Sooo anyhow!
Post your favorite japanese recipees (or links to) using less than sushi quality fishies or other things like beef pork chicken etc.
and if anyone has a link to a website telling all about lots of interesting things a typical japanese student or mother would make on a day thats be cool too.
Old 06-08-2003, 04:38 AM   #2
Epona
Zartan

'I've got your picture, I've got your picture...'

Sorry, just a little joke there, some of the older IWers may get it

I'm sure I have some Japanese recipes somewhere, I'll try to dig some out later.
Old 06-08-2003, 05:21 AM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
http://www.bento.com/tf-recp.html

Maybe you'll find something interresting here.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:33 PM   #4
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

any luck finding those recipees?
and that site rocks!
course i gota hand it to them for courage, apparently one common thing on a restaurant menu contains raw chicken.
Old 06-11-2003, 01:11 AM   #5
Finn
The Magister

You should check out this site. Its full of wholesome, good old fashioned Japanese recipes. Essentially what a typical Japanese family would have for their meals.

http://www.nsknet.or.jp/~chrkaji/yasuko/index_e.html

(Yasuko-san's Home Cooking)

Old 06-11-2003, 01:18 AM   #6
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

My mum have lots of sushii cook book. but personally I hate sushii, i hate the raw fish smell. The last time I hate sushii my stomach went on rampage for a few days.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:12 PM   #7
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

oooo
that home cooking site is just the kind of thing i was looking for!

arigatougozaimasu!
Old 06-11-2003, 11:33 PM   #8
Finn
The Magister

Doitashi mashite. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 06-11-2003, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: Finn ]
Old 06-12-2003, 04:07 AM   #9
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
[img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img] Kampai
Old 06-14-2003, 10:40 AM   #10
Pangur Ban

Raw fish is about the only topping you can use on on nigiri sushi ( Sushi rice with something on top of it )

For nori-maki sushi ( narrow strips of different ingredients layered on sushi rice spread on a sheet of toasted seaweed, then rolled ) raw fish is good, but there are many other ingredients you can try.

If you can't find sashimi quality fish, try some of the these alternatives for nori-maki sushi,

1.Pre packed smoked salmon
2.Cooked spinach leaves
3.Japanese style omlette, like a normal omlette but folded over in half continually during cooking to create a layered finished product.
4.Carrot, cut in matchstick slivers
5.Cucumber - leave the skin on, and prepare as per carrot
6.Tinned tuna -- some of the flavoured types such as tuna, with soy and ginger, work very well.
7.Cooked tofu.
8.Avocado ( very common, but I can't stand the stuff myself )
9.Curly lettuce

Three of my favourite combinations are:

1&9, 2&3, 4,5&6

The most important part about any sushi is to prepare the rice correctly. You can buy premixed powder to sprinkle on the rice, but adding the ingredients by hand gives a much better result. Get this step right, and you can experiment with other ingredients.

I *do not* under *any* circumstances recommend a variation offered by a local Asian take away in a shopping center near where I live. Sushi dipped in batter, and then deep fried. It tastes even worse than it sounds.

If you want any more info, drop me a p.m.

Pang.