Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2001, 04:57 PM   #1
Marillion
The Magister

I do not meen to be rude since this is my second day at this board..
But I still feel like I have to ask...
I see everyone discuss diffrent cheats and editors and stuff and i wonders..
Is there really no one out there who doesn't cheat in BG2..
I must say I think it takes away the fun.
There is a much greater feeling to succede in a difficult quest if you manage to du this without cheating.
Even if one has completet the game there is still so much more to try with different races and classens in a game like this...
Anyone who agrees with me?
Well.. Hope you doesn't hate me for complaining...

/Marillion

------------------
May Helm smile upon thee..
Old 03-06-2001, 05:03 PM   #2
Moiraine
Anubis

I agree ! I agree with both hands !
Except for the XP cap remover, however.

------------------
Old 03-06-2001, 05:22 PM   #3
Marillion
The Magister

That, I can agree with though I only export characters not effected by the cap removal to use in future Forgotten Relms games.
Old 03-06-2001, 05:30 PM   #4
Grebki
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Beleive me, I hate myself more than I hate you, so don't worry Anyhoo, I don't cheat either for the same reasons. Last year I bought BG I and cheated the heck out of it and learned that it makes for a truly boring game. I also try and avoid the spoilers unless I'm *reaaaly* stuck. I learned this early on playing AD&D in my youth too. Sometimes, I will say it is necessary to "cheat" to fix a problem with the game that would just take way too long to re-play. In the future, I was thinking of trying to make it through the entire game without "going back" and reloading previously saved games to get myself out of trouble, that might be fun.

-Grebki

------------------
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. And then I went and made at least three of them come true before lunch.
Old 03-06-2001, 05:35 PM   #5
Hesperex

Most of us only cheat when we have finished the game, and I do not cheat in a realy game turning fassion, I do create weapons and armnour and let my character start off with them, I also make new character clases which arn't strictly part of the game...this could be considerd cheating, but I have completed the game with no!!! modifications 3 times so I think I have earned the right to play/cheat a little.

------------------

Old 03-06-2001, 05:44 PM   #6
Aurican
Elminster

You mak sense to newbie players but when you have beat the game several times and have played most of the classes new stuff starts sounding better and better. I know personally that Just one newly created item can improve the game by far just by the fact that you made it and its making a difference. I don't mean godlike abilities but little things are nice. My change was leather armor that was immune to level drain, a vampire killing ranger does a lot better with something like that.

PS: I can't wait for 3rd edition rules, I hate being limited by classes, abilities and races.

Have fun!

------------------
Can an elf get a break anywhere these days?
Old 03-06-2001, 05:46 PM   #7
Hesperex

my thoughts exactly aurican

------------------

Old 03-06-2001, 05:47 PM   #8
Epona
Zartan

I don't like to cheat. I haven't downloaded shadowkeeper, and I only activated cheat mode for the first time the other day to try out some of the 'hidden' NPCs as discussed on this board.

I did that because I've played through several times and know the ins & outs of all the legal NPCs in the game, so I wanted to give myself something a bit different to do while I'm waiting for HOW to be released here (15 March). I don't cheat up any special items, I prefer to earn them.

Also the thing about the 'hidden' NPCs is that some of them were from BGI, so I really wanted to see them again in BGII but they weren't there. I was disappointed because in BGII there were only 15 or 16 NPCs, where as in BGI there were 24 or something like that. Lots more choice. Hopefully we'll get more in the expansion (and us ladies will get more 'romance' options instead of just whiney Anomen, blahblahblahblah)

Sometimes people create items that they had but lost (that would otherwise mean they could get no further without the item in question) or to get around bugs in the game (I've had odd items disappear from where I left them in containers, where by rights they should be safe)

But the way I see it is that if people get something more from the game by designing & creating their own weapons, classes, kits etc. then good luck to them. Some people seem to have a great deal of creativity in this respect and they obviously enjoy it. There have been numerous threads on this board discussing customised weapons and the like, where obviously a lot of thought has gone into the design and background information to the items. (I am thinking specifically of 250 and Icebraker, both very creative people).

Whatever it takes to get the most enjoyment from the game!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

[This message has been edited by Epona (edited 03-06-2001).]
Old 03-06-2001, 06:27 PM   #9
Marillion
The Magister

Thanks guys...
Thats exactly the answers I was hoping for..
Im looking forward to share my poor knowledge on this board...
I salute you..

(And I like to greet an ol' friend of mine from the ADOM board, "Moloch King", He is a true champion of AD&D games IMO, He succeded in becomming all Avatars in ADOM I think without ever die and for those of you who have played that game, you know that is admireable)

/Marillion

------------------
May Helm smile upon thee..
Old 03-06-2001, 06:28 PM   #10
Hesperex

Your welcome

------------------