Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2003, 07:08 PM   #1
Minchandre
Dungeon Master

I recently bought NWN, and I have 40 gig hard drive, 833 Mhz, and 256 mb RAM. I can install okay, and create a char, but the game invariably freezes about 15 seconds into the game.
Minchandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 09:27 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

What are the other specs?
  • What type of PC is it?
  • What video card do you have?
  • What sound card do you have?
  • What is the OS?
Believe it or not...it could be any one or a combo of any of these! Oh...and keep the receipt handy. We may eventually find out that you have to return it for being a dud.

[ 06-04-2003, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 06-04-2003, 09:31 PM   #3
Minchandre
Dungeon Master

Dell Dimension 4100...slightly tweaked

ATI Radeon 7500

Sound card that came with the computer...dunno what it is

Windows 2k pro
Old 06-04-2003, 11:15 PM   #4
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

Have you done all of the windows 2000 updates? Directx 9 should be in there. Also go and update your video drivers from ATI. Last but not least make sure since you are running the ATI card that you have ran the update on NWN so that it is version 1.29.

To find out what sound card you have. Right click on "My Computer" and select Properties. Then select Hardware. Then select device manager. Then Sound. Your sound card should be listed there. Also you can go to Dell website and put in the funky tag code and it should give you then newest Dell drivers for everything in your system. Plus it might help you figure out what the sound card is. If you are lucky that model only shipped with one card. I never am that lucky. [img]smile.gif[/img] I would still get the ATI drivers from ATI.

Granamere
Granamere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 02:55 AM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Your sound card may be a Soundmax since its a dimension that you got. Dell usually have a custom 'My Dell' program installed that tells you exactly what's in your PC.

Try running the game with sound disabled (not muted) and see if it helps, if not then it ain't your card. Proceed then to video testing and make sure your desktop resolution is set to 32 bit! Check out the 'Catalyst' drivers on the ATI website. It is not an uncommon complaint for an ATI owner to experience early freezing at startup...sounds like a rendering conflict to me and I have seen it quite a bit with these cards.

P.s. I trust by 'slightly tweaked' you don't mean overclocking...

[ 06-05-2003, 02:56 AM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 06-05-2003, 12:17 PM   #6
Minchandre
Dungeon Master

Never oveclocked...I was refering to extra RAM and a new Video Card, plus a new hard drive. Sound card is CreativeAudioPCI, though I don't think that's the problem, as I've tried running it sans sound before...same problem. I have DirectX 10, I believe, and NWN 1.29.

Don't have the latest drivers, though...nothing above the "catalyst" suite of drivers that came with it when I got it about 9 months ago.

DLing additional drivers now.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:27 PM   #7
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

Um Direct X 9 is the latest version out. If you are running 10 it is a beta and that could be your problem. To find out you need to run C:\WINDOWS\system32\dxdiag.exe. At the bottom of the first page it should list what version you are running.

Yes I am a stickler for Direct X stuff and so far it has fix no one's problems on this board. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Granamere
Granamere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 03:32 PM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Well try update your drivers man, see if it works.
Old 06-05-2003, 05:23 PM   #9
Minchandre
Dungeon Master

Did I say 10? I apologize. I could have sworn it was 10, but, upon later checking, I have 8.

I'm getting 9, but haven't tested yet. Sorry
Old 06-06-2003, 12:54 AM   #10
Minchandre
Dungeon Master

In retrospect, I think I thought ten because of the X...I feel special

[/offtopic]