Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2003, 11:04 PM   #1
LS0158
Zhentarim Guard

I have a few books in the series, and think that they are very funny. Has anyone else read any of these books? They are about a wizard who knows no spells, and is only good at running from danger. He ends up doing this a lot. Death is a person in these books, who only wizards and cats can see. There are a lot of gods much like Greek gods on a mountain in the center of the disc. (the planet is a disc floating through space, riding the back of a giant "world turtle" called A'tuin. The actual disc is carried by four giant elephants riding on the back of A'tuin.) The gods do nothing much other than play a slightly D&D like game that involves the actual disc, instead of an imaginary land, like in D&D.
LS0158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 11:14 PM   #2
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

It sounds to me that you are referring to the discworld books by Terry Pratchett. The first three books dealt with Rincewind the Wizard and have been bound together as "The Colour of Magic". They are indeed great books and you will find a lot of people here at IW who are big fans. If you would like a review of the last discworld book check out the Library Bar thread here in this forum.
Old 01-25-2003, 11:18 PM   #3
LS0158
Zhentarim Guard

I just keep forgetting the name of the discworld series, so I always seem to refer to it as the color of magic series.

Thanks.
LS0158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 06:36 AM   #4
Legolas
Jack Burton

I've read just about all of them. Can't beat Pratchett's humour, nor the way he makes our society look as moronic as it is [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 09:29 AM   #5
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

I think one of my friends put it best after reading Mort, then Reaper Man "that guy did alot of serious drugs", lol, Pratchet is a genius and his writing leaves you in stitches.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:03 PM   #6
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

I loved Thief of Time. Always remember rule 1! I of course have it on audiobook unabridged and have listened to it about 12 times now. Fantastic Audio did a wonderful job with the production.
Wulfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 10:09 AM   #7
Bristowe
Elminster

Terry Pratchett is the BEST, ever, period.
Read Night Watch, his latest ( well after you've read the rest of the city watch books), it's bloody great [img]smile.gif[/img]