Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2001, 06:08 PM   #11
Rikard

I Am SOOOOOOOOOOOO lost here

------------------

Help me create A Fantasy Realm with your imagination

Old 05-22-2001, 02:37 AM   #12
sylent
Emerald Dragon

Idubitibly with an "e"
Old 05-22-2001, 03:03 AM   #13
Moiraine
Anubis

Cant' we spell it 'Graey' ? Just for the compromise ...

------------------

The world is my oyster !
And now I have the knives to open it ...
Old 05-22-2001, 03:12 AM   #14
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Nice, so now I know.. thanks Gm very nice and informative thread!

To avoid confusion (I think i spell it both ways, one foot in england and one in USA...) I vote we spell it "grå" that way we all know what we are talking about!

Hehe, fishing for tuesday morning giggles here..no? darn.. have to go work out some new jokes I´m afraid..

Ahh, and good whatever to all you out there!

------------------

Yawning lazywolf..
Old 05-22-2001, 03:23 AM   #15
JJ/newbie

I had never thunk 'bout it, GM. I guess I always used gray when denoting the specific color of something static, and grey when referring to verb-type action or similie - The sky is gray; His face greyed noticeably when he read the ransom note.
The journey of self-discovery is never done here, is it?

------------------
Unstinting Gaurdian of Children
Defender of Those Unable To

Old 05-22-2001, 03:35 AM   #16
Moiraine
Anubis

Hi Wolfie, please, could you tell me how you pronounce these special letters in your alphabet ? Like the 'A' with a circle on it, ... I have always wondered !

------------------

The world is my oyster !
Old 05-22-2001, 05:20 AM   #17
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Absolutely Gray Mage. But I can't help notice your title - shouldn't that be 'Red Wizard of They'

No Donut, The Rad Wyssard ov They

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 05-22-2001, 05:23 AM   #18
Moiraine
Anubis

Ya, ya, Yaurrikk, The Raed Wizaerd aef Thaey.

------------------

The world is my oyster !
Old 05-22-2001, 05:57 AM   #19
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
Hi Wolfie, please, could you tell me how you pronounce these special letters in your alphabet ? Like the 'A' with a circle on it, ... I have always wondered !

Oh OH, well there is that yep..
Eh, well it´s close to a long a sound, form your mouth to a O and have a guttural exhaling sound forward, smaller than a but not as tight as O.. somwhere between that, hard to explain, I only learned english fonetics.. sorry..

------------------

Yawning lazywolf..
Old 05-22-2001, 06:13 AM   #20
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Father Bronze, starts twitching uncontrollably. His eyes start popping out of his head. He breaks into a cold sweat until he can't stand it anymore. "Enough! I can't stand it. I'm going on duty here. Official English Teacher reporting for service . . . "

Not phonetic spellings? Aaaargh. You will all be the scourge of this conservative minded English Teacher. All of you Americans are going to start spelling the word as "grey"? What happens next? Are you going to start spelling "colour" and "generalisation" according to the British model also? What about my job? I make a living corrupting young impressionable minds into believing that there is only one true way of spelling a word and if one gets it wrong I get to put a big red slash (the color of blood) across the paper, sort of like a gaping wound. What will I do with my red pens? I like red pens. If I can't use them as often, my job isn't fun. Where will I take out all of my aggressive behaviour ? Aaaaargh! Now you've got me doing it.

In all seriousnes, spelling is a real problem with many of my students. I would be a hypocrite if I said that no one should ever have spelling errors. But teaching High School English gives me a bit of a different perspective. Words like gray and grey really don't trouble me. Most students don't know that one is the American spelling and the other British . Of course, I take a certain satisfaction in teaching them one more bit of information about language when I inform them that they were using British spelling conventions rather than American. It makes a nice "teachable moment" about language variations, dialect, and etymologies.

Unfortunately, most student spelling errors are not variations or dialect, but rather phonetic spellings -- the "I don't know how to write the word, but it sounds like this . . ." sort of mentality. Phonetic spellings get very confusing at times. This is where I find trouble. When my students consistently use spellings that are incomprehensible, I fear that they will never learn and thus never be able to communicate as effectively as their adult peers.

For phonetic fun check out the riddling contest page.
------------------

Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.

[This message has been edited by Father Bronze (edited 05-22-2001).]