Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2010, 12:50 AM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Ironworks Forum We are back! The backup server died on Feb 18th

Welcome back my friends! I've missed you all. a LOT.

Well, as you all remember, our server was getting blue screens of dead (BSOD) and finally failed late last year. And
I had a friend let me borrow his old motherboard. (a 2.4Ghz Pentium 4 I think it was) Anyway, on Feb 12 and 15th, I
awoke to see the router's 'server' light blinking real fast--too fast--constantly. I turned on the monitor, and the screen was
frozen. had to hard boot both times...

No OS errors or anything.. It wasn't the router either.

Now it's February 18th.

I wake up, and same thing. So i hard reboot it. nothing. Power supply is on, but the motherboard won't even POST.
(means booting--showing how much ram ya got, hardware, etc). tried 2 days to figure it out.. Nothing.

I'm stressing out bad, KNOWING I have no way to buy a new motherboard etc until we get our tax return (which was due any day)
but I'm also in bad pain, (for those that don't know, I have chronic back pain/hips--real fun stuff). So that
just makes it worse. Totally defeated I feel like just giving up, saying I don't know what to do..

So I call Donna at work, (Wifey) and tell her the bad news.. She then informs me we got our tax return!!!! (electronic deposit)
I was like "OMG". Freaking amazingly good timing. But she says I can only spend $500. (We have most of the $ spent for bills and crap already)
So I go to Newegg.com and price out:

A new Motherboard eVGA
2.666Ghz CPU
4Gig Ram (The backup server had only 512mb btw)
Hard drive (old one was OLD.. and IDE)
Video card (old Motherboard didn't use PCI Express) (got a Geforce 7800 500mb ram for 35$!)

So it came 5 days later, then I realize the motherboard didn't have a floppy connector.. um... and you
MUST have one for raid drivers during Windows 2003 Server install. I found out a USB floppy works.

So I go buy one. another $40. (BTW, Office Depot was selling one for $99!!!!!! I told them about themselves and left.
So I get home, dropped in the motherboard, began hooking everything together, and started hooking
the power supply to the motherboard except...... NO FREAKING 8 PIN CONNECTOR!

I dropped everything and just looked into the air... you know that dead stare, like "you're f'ing kidding me. RIGHT"

* I actually totally forgot about that. AND the fact the old power supply wasn't even powerful enough to handle
the new hardware. So I bought a new PSU.. 750watt.. ANOTHER $120.

So I'm at like $900 now.. lol, and Donna is pissed off. says 'there better not be anything else!' hehe I felt the same way....

Feeling good, but now thinking "Will the freaking PC Case be evil and warp its metal so I can't connect the motherboard to it?
Naa.. lol. It all went in like a charm, connected everything up. Hey, at least the bloody DVD Burner was ok. HA!

I decided to do a fresh install of Windows 2003 Server, took a few days with it, tweaking everything even better than
before!

And now here we are, 3am, and the payoff is AMAZING! Notice how insanely fast the pages load?
NOW I can begin again my plans for upgrading Ironworks Forum! (decided to put it on hold with the really slow hardware, as the updates will tax it more)
And now it can handle it... TIMES 100!

What I REALLY need is some help, Remember I began a 'server donation fund' bar but it took it down--I put it off. Guess I shouldn't have!
I spent nearly $1000, but I talked with Donna, and said if I could raise $400 we'd be OK. We just can spend any more.

But we have a ROCK SOLID Killer, state of the art server now. with multiple cores, and will last us for many years. I thought you all were worth
that. And I love having Ironworks Forum here. I've known MANY of you for more that 10 years. (That's so awesome)

If you can send a donation to help out, It would be extremely helpful, and please the Wife.. (there are benefits with a happy wife, eh?)
I'll throw up the donation meter in a bit.. Then I'm gonna go watch Ax Men, and pass out. It's 3am here hehe.. Night!

PS: I'm making a video in a few days of the new server--showing ya what we had, and what we HAVE! It's a beauty!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:27 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Default Re: We are back! The backup server died on Feb 18th

Woohoo!!

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:50 AM   #3
machinehead
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
Woohoo!!
I second that!!!
machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:04 AM   #4
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Yay!
Old 03-08-2010, 02:16 AM   #5
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Great to hear, I was getting worried. Finally get internet access back in the house, and I couldn't get IW to load up.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:16 AM   #6
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion

I was so worried! Glad we're okay.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:26 AM   #7
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

JUST got done! (I am now re-editing my original post in this thread) check it out!

Old 03-08-2010, 05:58 AM   #8
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Default Re: We are back! The backup server died on Feb 18th (Need some help with donations)

We've missed you too!!!

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Default Re: We are back! The backup server died on Feb 18th (Need some help with donations)

Thanks Ziroc, you rock!
Old 03-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #10
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I'm gonna take a day off, and relax... wow. worth it though! Really was!
It's so fast, I can now add so many new goodies! I'm excited now.

I need to upgrade the forum software later this week, so don't worry if you see something odd
(But report it to me via PM) Gonna update the games, maybe add new ones as well.

I'd REALLY like to do a radio show again as well. That was cool.

More soon!!!