Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2001, 04:03 AM   #21
Moiraine
Anubis

Hi all (brothers AND sisters)

And thanks a lot for all these hugs - I really needed them, all the more since some idiot at work just stated 'You son could have died has he been at the wrong side of the car' (the side that smashed the bridge) Brrrr !

Anyway, I feel much better today, after a hot bath and a good night's sleep. I'm back !

Hi Ladyzekke and Draconia ! Shame, shame on me for not having not included sisters in my posts, although you were in my thoughts. As a computer engineer in France, I got finally used to live in a world with 90% males, but I do not feel glad about it, especially since things do not seem to evolve much with time (here is a concrete example. I currently work with 31 males ... and only 1 woman !). Computer games and RPGs remain also mostly a male area, but look at this forum ! We are loved her, sister !
I see in your profile that you are 35. I am 36 ! Where do you live, and what do you do for work ?

And Black Knight, yes of course I have read the WOT series. I am currently waiting impatiently for my husband to finish reading 'Winter's Heart' so that I can read it. I have not read Terry Goodkind yet, but I am always in search of new Fantasy authors. They seem to write so much slower than I read ! (My husband says that do not 'read' books, I 'eat' them !). I am dead sure to give a try to all those you all suggested.

My favourite authors are Robert Jordan of course, Raymond E. Feist, David Eddings, Terry Brooks, and I do not forget female writers : Anne Mac Caffrey, Mercedes Lackey and Robin Hobb.
And I think male writers get better and better these last several years, having finally succeeded to create rich complex independant female characters. This was not the case at the beginning of Fantasy (one writer I HATE is Moorcock). Bazz1234, Tolkien may not be the best Fantasy writer (Wow ! Do not throw rotten tomatoes on me !), but mind, he was the very first. He invented all, so that the authors coming later could give us richer and richer worlds and stories. AD&D is also based on Tolkien's world. So in a way he is all of us's beloved grandfather.

Anyway, this Board is just great (Thanks so much to Ziroc too) ! It is so much more that a mere BGII or RPG forum, and it is thanks to all of us.

Hey, Yorick, do you remember when you posted a thread asking if we played RPGs nly to forget real life ?
But, man, we are all real people and friends and this Forum is real life !
Old 01-06-2001, 04:11 AM   #22
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Oh man!!! Too late!!! But what the heck (HUG)... hehe I'm glad that you and your son are ayt... Geez... School just started... AGAIN. So I haven't checked this post for two days... well how you two doin'? Is he like ayt an stuff?

This is shocking stuff... we are actually one big family that helps each other out on particularly everything!!! I like it!
Old 01-06-2001, 08:27 AM   #23
Zoratorak
Welcomed New User

gee... this might bee witty late but HUG to you Moraine (sniff i hope you dont forget me) ... I live in the Philippines and I cant relate anything to you about snow... only prayers, lucks and HUGS may be my wish for you not only the day but the entire year... HUG HUG HUG (just to be sure hehe) the only thing that is dangerous here in the Philippines is bumper to bumper traffic ...ack!

anyways.... Terry Goodkind is one of my best favorite authors since he made the Sword of Truth series... David Eddings as well as Robert Jordan... Anne Mcaffre...and a while lot more of what all of you guys mentioned (sorry but im terrible at names)

(personally i think Robert Jordan has not been writing as well as he did in the first book... i noticed that all the long and good books like Robert Jordan and Terry Goodkinds seems to be losing thier magical touch... all of a suddon thier books became more monotonous and boring... but the last book of Terry Goodkind is a nice new twist and plot... hmmm... thats where is also got my name: Zor... actually i got my name from Wizard Zorander of the 1st class but Zoratorak sounded better for me ...

oh well... i have nothing else... but i hope this thing (accident not the post) never happens anymore and defenitly more worst than before... only better ones...

oh yeah: i got this from Calvin and Hobbes comics...im gonna email you this pic ...i hope youll like this Moriain because i dont know how to put the pic up into the board and i believe it might give you some real meaning you know of reality ... rekon ill ask Memnoch to do it for me (postin the pic)...
like i said earlier, hope you enjoy
Old 01-06-2001, 08:40 AM   #24
Zoratorak
Welcomed New User

errrr...i hope you got the message if not tell me here because i cant seem to access hotmail right now and had to experemnet with outlook express (first time i used it) oh well...
Old 01-06-2001, 09:13 AM   #25
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Zor, received the pic and will upload it onto the net as soon as i can get into my website (keeps timing out!). Then i'll stick it on here. Warning: it's a pretty big picture...

Moiraine, enchante! Glad to have you back. It's a nice feeling, knowing that a lot of people care about you, isn't it?
Old 01-06-2001, 09:22 AM   #26
Suul-Yinn

Sorry, I'm late but I have been busy. Glad to hear no serious harm occurred. Big HUGS

Old 01-06-2001, 11:12 AM   #27
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Hello again, Moraine! I live in the state of Virginia in the United States. I work for a patent and trademark law office near Washington, D.C., been there 12 years! We handle patents from all over the world, although our main client is located in The Netherlands (over 200 inventions all in the farming industry!). I know what it is like to work with all males and you're the only female. When I was 18 I worked as a secretary at a construction site! The workers would hoot and holler at me when I drove into work in the morning. Finally one day I got fed up and flipped them the bird and surprisingly they stopped! Go Figure! Once again, I would like to suggest to everyone to try reading C.S. Friedman. She does not have a lot of books (only 7 or 8 I think) but well worth it. Only three are a series, called "The Coldfire" series (highly addictive fantasy). I would also suggest trying In Conquest Born. It is science fiction orientated, and written in the 80's with a horrible cover, but you won't be able to put it down once you get into it. Then there is "This Alien Shore", also science fiction and VERY complicated in that it goes into detailed descriptions of high tech futuristic computer hacking. Kinda funny, in her vision of the future everyone has "brainware" and can access the internet with their brains! And for all you guys out there, even though she is a female writer, you would never know it. These books are no love stories, believe me. I still have yet to read an author that tops her books, including our beloved Jordan and Goodkind. I will keep everyone's other suggestions in mind as well for when I finish the Jordan series. Always looking out for good authors. I am a bit like you Moraine, in that I read so many books it is akin to chewing them up and spitting them out! Oh yes, so sorry to hear about your salami sandwich Armisael, big hug, pats on the back, cooing noises saying everything will be OK! Look on the bright side, you still had half a beer left eh?
Old 01-06-2001, 11:17 AM   #28
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Originally posted by Zoratorak:
oh yeah: i got this from Calvin and Hobbes comics...im gonna email you this pic ...i hope youll like this Moriain because i dont know how to put the pic up into the board and i believe it might give you some real meaning you know of reality ... rekon ill ask Memnoch to do it for me (postin the pic)...
like i said earlier, hope you enjoy

Moiraine, here's the pic that Zor was referring to. Glad to facilitate!

Old 01-06-2001, 11:22 AM   #29
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Mem, what's so special about a white spuare with a red x in the middle?
Old 01-06-2001, 11:26 AM   #30
Moiraine
Anubis

Hi all, have a nice week-end !

And, Ladyzekke, try Robin Hobb (She is a woman) with her Ship trilogy. After that read her Assassins trilogy.

She is the best.

She had had already 3 woman-pseudonyms before and her books did not sell well, and for once she changes to a man-pseudonym and Whooop ! her sales just fly ...
I went once on a site of one of her fan ... who did not know she was a woman (kept saying 'he'). So I mailed him that he was dead wrong, and he replies how sorry he was and that he was very happy to know because she was to come signing her books and he would have been embarassing not to know before !

Nice week-end to all of you, and a BIG hug including everybody !