Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2003, 09:14 PM   #11
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

I still have my google problem, ie the google url leads me to this HTML page that says "There is no website configured at this address"

The page belongs to this outfit called cPanel, there is a link on the top left. Clicking that link brings me to http://www.cpanel.net/

Any ideas? This happens only on my office PC, home PC I can access google just fine.
*Insert creepy Twilight ZOne type music*
Old 10-16-2003, 09:21 PM   #12
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

OK I just happened to browse around the cPanel website, there was a FAQ that suggested that users who ahd been redirected to their website whilst trying to use a search engine may be infected with a Trojan called Qhosts.

More info here: http://securityresponse.symantec.com...an.qhosts.html

[ 10-16-2003, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Hayashi ]
Old 10-16-2003, 09:35 PM   #13
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yes I had a similiar problem like this before. It can either be a trojan or a form of spyware. Like the guys suggested do run Ad-Aware,
Old 10-16-2003, 10:38 PM   #14
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Well, I just removed the pesky Trojan manually from my system. Strange thing is that neither Norton AV nor Ad-Aware picked it up, and using Norton's Trojan removal tool for Qhosts didn't catch it either. I keep the definitions updated.

I found the information on this site useful. It gives a description of the Trojan, symptoms (that's how I could tell I was infected) and manual removal procedures.

CAUTION: Manual removal involves editing your registry!! Always backup your registry first before attempting to edit it.

But the process is quite simple, registry editing involved changing the values of one value back to its original, and deleting another entry. In addition, you'll need to look for 2 files and a folder to delete. The Windows search function came in useful.

Google now works again! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2003, 10:42 PM   #15
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Btw, If you keep your MS updates enabled (or check them daily) you will most likely avoid this problem in the future.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:25 PM   #16
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Any idea if a virus, trojan or other form of program could stop my disk clean up function from operating? Or could I have a link to a site that would scan for such a thing for free?

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 10-16-2003, 11:51 PM   #17
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

What do you mean by disk clean up? Are you talking about defrag? If so, make sure your power options are disabled while it's running, or that can cause it to restart in some cases.

There is someone who offers on-line virus scans.... I forget who, but a search through the GD archives from the past several weeks would probably find it. OR the person who posted it last time will bring it up again.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:02 AM   #18
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Ok heres the specifics. I have windows XP Pro fully updated.
I try to run "Disk Cleanup" The thing that looks like a broom over a drive icon. The one that gets rid of all the excess files in temp folders and the compress old files type stuff. Last time I tried to run it I disabled all the power saver settings in my computer including the monitor shut off. When I run the program it loads and starts, I'm gonna guess inventorying, all the temp and compressed files that can be safely removed and are not needed. It starts on the Compress old files section and then does nothing. I check the task manager and it says the CPU is running 100% capacity. The last time I had a situation like this some files necesary for the windows restart managed to disappear. I didn't find out until I tried to restart my computer. I ended up reinstalling windows from scratch. (that's right I'm the dummy who doesn't make system restore disks because he's too lazy) Anyways I let the program run overnight last time and it did nothing. When I woke up I saw the same thing that was there when I went to bed.

Old 10-17-2003, 04:41 AM   #19
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

just an addnote: you could reinstall your other drivers, modem, lan card etc.. in case it got corrupted or anything..

Catch me if you can..
Old 10-17-2003, 10:14 AM   #20
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Harkoliar, I'm just curious but how might that be effecting the issue with my computer? I mean I'd try it if there were also issues related to those, but my only problem is the Disk Cleanup function not working. The Disk Cleanup, not the Defrag. I could tell the difference between the two by the time I was in 7th grade.