Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2001, 04:36 PM   #1
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

So to all you punks who think Icewind Dale was a too easy or that Belhifet was a sinch, i say: Try a one character party. I wonder if they're even possible? I know that the Cleric/Ranger can complete the game all by himself cuz i did it last month. Currently in the bottom fo Dragon's eye with a Cleric/Mage who likes to protect from fire and center 3 fireballs on himself (he's 8/. I'm hopefull, but Yxunomei herself is going to be a b!#ch.
I wonder how well other classes do on their own? I've played solo Bards and solo Fighter/thiefs and solo Clerics thru the first part of the Vale jest before entering Kresselack's Tomb. Solo characters become so powerful so quickly, that a cleric can walk all over the unded in the vale.
Even cooler, I noticed with my mage/cleric who happens to be Neutral Evil, that if evil priests turn undead, they can gain control of them eventually! the first time Yxunomei killed me, she summoned some zombies and skeletons up and i was under Sanctuary while turning undead. Everyone just stood around, like they do when you're under sanctuary, then some zombie gets a green circle around him and gets jumpped. it was so cool
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 07:10 PM   #2
Wrath
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Sure they can, in fact I find it easier playing a solo character, since they just get so damn good so fast. After my Ranger/Cleric a while back, I took a Dwarven Fighter through the game, and found it just as easy. Once I'm done with BG2 I want to make one last trip with a Gnome Fighter/Illusionist, for kicks

-Wrath
Wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 07:42 PM   #3
hammer

You both must have had a little trouble with traps, no? Sure, the ranger/cleric can see them, if he/she doesn't want to cast any other spells, but can't always get around them. Just heal and proceed? The dwarf prolly regenerates & there are plenty of healing potions... but my fighter/thief always takes care of them so I don't know what effect most of the disablable traps have. Since you both made it, I assume none of them are too bad. Is so, or no?
Old 01-24-2001, 03:48 PM   #4
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

yeah, traps can be tricky. For the most part, spring them then heal is all you can do without a cleric. Some traps, like in the bottom of dragon-eye, will paralyze you. For those, it's best to detect and walk around. But with a cleric, you got heal covered. There are also plenty of heals potions in the game. I try to pick up 5 or 10 in Easthaven before I leave (one character) just to make sure they don't get caught off guard and beaten up.
I think Icewind is really a Cleric's or Fighter/thief's game cuz the items for clerics are everywhere and there are enough items for fighters and theives to get their strength boosted way up, and some extra attacks (ring of the warrior thief gives thieves one more attack). So it makes sense, i'll have to try a fighter theif next.

the key here is... no cheating.. (i.e., no importing guy with stack of super heal potions/arrows of piercing/bullets of fire +2) All the stuff you need is provided in the game... the worst i cheat is: i might reload an autosave to a newly entered area if i get a pointless/useless treasure and i know it's a random chest.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2001, 06:10 PM   #5
Tathlum

Heres something fun, take your best PC and take on old Rothgar, he's a tough one. Then try Arundel he's pretty hard with a single character too. They both have some really cool stuff

Along with the funny stuff to do is get online with a friend. Start a game and go to the hand or someplace where you get bumrushed by lots of baddies. Then start fighting each other. Or just have a big ol fight in the streets of easthaven. My latest kick is we give each other a 5 minute head start then we hunt each other down LOL. Its real fun heh heh.