Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2002, 03:20 AM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

What's your opinion on WTC. I've moved house (again) and am in an apartment right around the corner from Ground Zero now. Literally. Thus this is kind of on my mind.

What do you think should happen regarding the rebuilding?

Higher and higher? An exact replica?

Or, lower and more buildings?

Perhaps two 50 story towers with hig poles evoking memoris of WTC?

Do you care? Do you feel as though you should have an opinion or not?

Should there be a public vote or should the body that owns the land be free to decide unfettered?

Should a memorial park be built?

Will a World Trade Centre anywhere be a target for anti-capitalists?

What do you think?

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 08-01-2002, 03:23 AM   #2
Sigmar
Unicorn

IMO they should constuct an evil taller version of the twin towers, as an act of defiance towards the terrorists, only make sure the correct building measures are taken this time.
Old 08-01-2002, 03:27 AM   #3
LennonCook
Jack Burton

I think it should be rebuilt; but the incidents should not be forgotten. It often happens that once something terrible is reversed, it is quickly forgotten about: something of international importance, that has started (rightfully or otherwise) a war against terrorism (read: Afghanistan); should not be forgotten.
Further than that, I have no opinions.
Old 08-01-2002, 03:30 AM   #4
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

I have seen the images of the proposed replacement developments, do they not all include open space involving the footprint of the two originals, with a memorial as well?
if memory serves, i think i preferred the one with the the two tallest buildings modeled after the twins, it evoked a sense of satisfaction and familiararity that the sincerest form of flattery (or homage) is imitation....and the message that the twins may have been leveled, but can never truly die.
hope this says what i means....

Amanda, Kyleia, and Kathleen\'s Dad-Best Damn Job, Period.

Official procrastinator of the O.L.D. C.O.O.T.S. Clan
unOfficial Homeopathic Quacktitioner of the IW Realm
Old 08-01-2002, 03:30 AM   #5
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
I think it should be rebuilt; but the incidents should not be forgotten. It often happens that once something terrible is reversed, it is quickly forgotten about: something of international importance, that has started (rightfully or otherwise) a war against terrorism (read: Afghanistan); should not be forgotten.
Further than that, I have no opinions.
Is that really the case though? For example, how many of us sang "London bridge is falling down" as youngsters? I doubt that New Yorkers, let alone Americans or international tourists to the city will forget it for at least a generation.

Old 08-01-2002, 03:32 AM   #6
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by J.J.:
I have seen the images of the proposed replacement developments, do they not all include open space involving the footprint of the two originals, with a memorial as well?
if memory serves, i think i preferred the one with the the two tallest buildings modeled after the twins, it evoked a sense of satisfaction and familiararity that the sincerest form of flattery (or homage) is imitation....and the message that the twins may have been leveled, but can never truly die.
hope this says what i means....
It does. Good to see you again JJ. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-01-2002, 03:38 AM   #7
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Is that really the case though? For example, how many of us sang "London bridge is falling down" as youngsters? I doubt that New Yorkers, let alone Americans or international tourists to the city will forget it for at least a generation.
And how many of those who sang it actually realised that it was more than a light hearted melody ??
The same goes for "Ring a ring a rosies", many would have chanted it (I know that I did many many times at my first attempt at swimming lessons...); but how many would have known about the plague ??
Similarly for many other children`s chants/songs.
Old 08-01-2002, 03:43 AM   #8
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
And how many of those who sang it actually realised that it was more than a light hearted melody ??
The same goes for "Ring a ring a rosies", many would have chanted it (I know that I did many many times at my first attempt at swimming lessons...); but how many would have known about the plague ??
Similarly for many other children`s chants/songs.
[/QUOTE]Did you?

Old 08-01-2002, 06:21 AM   #9
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Sigmar:
IMO they should constuct an evil taller version of the twin towers, as an act of defiance towards the terrorists, only make sure the correct building measures are taken this time.
Just a minor quibble, Sigmar, but the original towers were built well beyond the required "building measures".

They both withstood a direct hit from two of the largest commercial jets in the world flying into them at full throttle. MOST buildings would have either been destroyed or knocked over on impact.

And - when the towers did collapse - they fell STRAIGHT DOWN rather than toppling over and crashing into other buildings.

All of this was the result of a far-sighted design by the architect.
While NOBODY could anticipate that either tower WOULD actually be hit by a plane...he had designed it to theoretically withstand such a crash (although he never envisioned the crash would be intentional, he was thinking about a plane losing control). He also deliberately designed the towers to collapse in on themselves if they did ever fall, so that they wouldn't take out several other buildings during their collapse.

As tragic as the events were..the buildings functioned exactly as they were designed. They stood for close to 2 hours after the initial impact....allowing many people to escape. And a professional demoliton team couldn't have collapsed the towers more perfectly within the space allowed.

Now, to answer Yorick's original question, I would like to see the towers rebuilt...but I would also like to see a memorial included to the lives lost included in that rebuilding effort.
Old 08-01-2002, 07:27 AM   #10
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

I'd build a park! I bet there is all kinds of office space available in New York. They probably don't nedd anymore. Let nature rule in the big city!

[ 08-01-2002, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: Sir Taliesin ]