Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2003, 12:36 PM   #1
SomeGuy
Unicorn

Okay, today in my second period at school, some kids were making fun of someone for getting in trouble. Well the teacher came in, made them appologize, and gave us a small lecture about bullying. Well, it made me think, what are you guys here at IW's opinions on bullies? Mine is, I think it's wrong and the schools need to do more about it then they do. We have kids out here killing other kids because they get made fun of. It's wrong and needs to be stopped. Kids these days go through alot worse then some people think. That saying Stick and stong may break my bones, but words will never hurt me, is wrong. Words can hurt alot of people. And you can't JUST ignore it, the kids at my school keep on even if you do ignore them. It really ticks me off seeing other people getting made fun of because of what they look like, their intelligence, their popularity, and just for who they are. Just my 2cents
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
Old 05-13-2003, 12:57 PM   #2
Sigmar
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by SomeGuy:
Okay, today in my second period at school, some kids were making fun of someone for getting in trouble. Well the teacher came in, made them appologize, and gave us a small lecture about bullying. Well, it made me think, what are you guys here at IW's opinions on bullies? Mine is, I think it's wrong and the schools need to do more about it then they do. We have kids out here killing other kids because they get made fun of. It's wrong and needs to be stopped. Kids these days go through alot worse then some people think. That saying Stick and stong may break my bones, but words will never hurt me, is wrong. Words can hurt alot of people. And you can't JUST ignore it, the kids at my school keep on even if you do ignore them. It really ticks me off seeing other people getting made fun of because of what they look like, their intelligence, their popularity, and just for who they are. Just my 2cents
Personally I think the problem of bullying is a serious one in school. Particulary when it takes a more sinister aspect (stabbing, beating raids, etc), it is a serious issue which I have found teachers to usually treat lightly. They tend to think its a "game" like it used to be in "their" day but boy has the playing field changed. The way in which bullying works has changed, whereas before the aim would be to merely ridicule someone once in a while nowadays physical abuse and complete humiliation is usually guaranteed if you're unfortunate enough to be targeted by the "cool kids".

I agree it needs to be stopped but unless they implement a system where students are offered no freedom and given strict rules to abide to this will not become a reality IMO. In my school for example in the younger years there are plenty of fights and examples of bullying but since children are left in the playground monitored by only 2 teachers there is only so much going on that is monitored. You're right there are kids killing other kids because its fun but as much as I hate to admit it thats those are the messages being spread by music and TV (bah I feel old). I admit that these mediums contribute to their "evil" ways but personally I believe it is more to do with their upbringing. I've found that the bullys tend to be either Ignorant kids, with a poor upbringing and lack of morals, and rich spoilt kids who don't give a damn about the feelings of other individuals.

The way I see it is that its a fight for survival until you get to the senior year (where exams tend to filter out most of the bullys), my tactic was to lay low and never draw attention and when someone provoked me with any shit I made it clear to him there and then I wasn't going to take it. Never give them an oppertunity, never. Differant schools require differant tactics however. During my time in a school in London I had to use the above tactic while in Gibraltar I am able to take a more aggresive attitude towards bullys as they tend to be all talk and little walk here. The advice I can offer you is don't give up and reaching for that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Thats what my grandpappy told me anyhow
Old 05-13-2003, 12:58 PM   #3
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

I think bullying is totally the worst £!$%^*!! thing anyone can do. I mean I know this sounds strange but I am totally used to being bullied, offended, hurt, it doesn't matter any more, I can and have done much worse things to myself and I probably will again just because of the things other people do.

Especially when your already sad people seem to enjoy picking on you when your low.Probably the most cowardly thing ever is the fact that they do it in big groups.

I have actually found a way to stop people offending and calling me, but in most of my friends opinions it is worse for me.
Most people react to being called by, "You know what...*bitch bitch bitch offense offense offense*"
I just go "You know what, thats absolutely true I am a ..." and then when you've spoiled their fun they dont do it anymore. But it could be worse than thinking ahh well who cares waht they think.

I think schools should keep bullies away from their friends, give them duties with teachers or whatever, they might get ribbed a little bit by their friends when they have to tag along with a teacher but it would show them someone elses perspective.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:41 PM   #4
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Bullies weren't just all talk where I was growing up. You called them cowards, you got a bat to the back. I used a simple method to avoid this. I got in with the younger siblings of my brothers' friends. Then we went to the local leisure centre and signed up for every martial arts school going. After around seven months, we made sure every kid in the area was aware that all of us wouldn't hesitate to defend ourselves.
Yeah, sure it was hard. But I have no doubt that it contributed to who I am today. I carried on with martial arts for a while after, and this helped build a decent enough body structure to make sure I wouldn't be bullied much anymore
Old 05-13-2003, 05:07 PM   #5
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Ah, bullying...one of the worst things that can affect someone in a bad way. It can completely change their lives. They get depressed, discouraged, and do badly at school. Mostly, anyway. I used to get bullied a lot at my old school, but in secondary school its reduced dramatically. I still get abuse now and then, but I ignore it, and don't let it get to me...and I agree that more could be done, but it is difficult for teachers to do much at all. At my school some people have been put on early study leave because of how they mouthed back at teachers. I mean, we have police on site on the last day of year 11! (I'm 16 for the American equivalent.) In case they do something "illegal", I guess...man, it is really bad.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:14 PM   #6
T/-/alali
Baaz Draconian

Bullies are usually getting a high by beating the crap out of you. Either run away from them or Kick 'em where the sun don't shine and run away [img]tongue.gif[/img] . Unless your a good fighter (like me) then haul ass and tell someone. Telling may seem stupid but it's really the only way to make them stop.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:58 PM   #7
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

Why stop at bullying at school? What about in your neighbourhood, in the workplace, even among families - parents, couples...There are bullies everywhere. Isn't it the will to power? Having control over others, having *power*.

You could argue a case in their favour. I won't, since i've been fucked up mentally through a sucession of people all willing to make my life hell.

That's life for you.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:09 PM   #8
GForce

the single bully is no big deal IMO. I just stand my ground. But the gang up type is more of a caution. people tend to be bolder when they have their friends around them. but if alone they're nothing but wimps. usually I'm alert and try to avoid getting near any "gangs".

Old 05-13-2003, 06:17 PM   #9
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Unfortunately, some bullying is an unavoidable (natural) part of social development in children. It's unrefined aggressiveness. It happens to some extent in all species of young animals too. A survival instinct of sorts. That doesn't mean we should just forget about it and turn a blind eye! Like all child development, it needs to be closely monitored by parents and controlled. Most problem bullies start at a young age and aren't disciplined. This can cause all kinds of problems for both the bully, and his victims. Likewise, children who are too passive need to learn a little aggression. Life simply doesn't pass without conflict. This advice is not meant to cover circumstances in which serious physical harm may occur. This goes beyond simple bullying and should be treated as crime. Reports should be filed with both police and school officals. (Parents) DO NOT let them turn a blind eye to juvenile crime! Don't be scared to threaten and/or use civil action if they are loathe to react. Nothing sets a young bully and his/her apathetic parents and school officals straight quicker than criminal or civil prosecution!
Old 05-13-2003, 06:21 PM   #10
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Ugh...its like a bullying haven at my school. I agree with you, SomeGuy.