Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2002, 10:28 AM   #11
Deathbringer

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
quote:
Originally posted by adam warlock:
*prints this out* this is useful information thank you
You've been having resource problems lately, Adam?

Mark
[/QUOTE]okay you seem to know a lot more than I on this issue, help me out here. What do I need and what don't I?

Old 07-21-2002, 10:34 AM   #12
skywalker
Banned User

The way Windows works - when you start a program and finish with it, there are sometimes remnants of the programs left in memory. With every program you run the Resources get used up and sometimes do not fully regain when those programs are stopped.

There are also programs called TSRs (Terminate and Stay Resident) which when you quit them, they continue to run in the background waiting for you to use them again, the Calculator in Start/Programs/Accessories is an example of one.

The more programs you run and close, the less efficiently Windows works and there may be conflicts and memory issues as you go on. That's why it's good to reboot to flush your memory once and a while. There's nothing like starting with a clean slate before you do some important work on your PC.

(Hope I'm not being too much of a know-it-all.)

Mark
Old 07-21-2002, 10:37 AM   #13
Deathbringer

Quote:
The way Windows works - when you start a program and finish with it, there are sometimes remnants of the programs left in memory. With every program you run the Resources get used up and sometimes do not fully regain when those programs are stopped.

There are also programs called TSRs (Terminate and Stay Resident) which when you quit them, they continue to run in the background waiting for you to use them again, the Calculator in Start/Programs/Accessories is an example of one.

The more programs you run and close, the less efficiently Windows works and there may be conflicts and memory issues as you go on. That's why it's good to reboot to flush your memory once and a while. There's nothing like starting with a clean slate before you do some important work on your PC.

(Hope I'm not being too much of a know-it-all.)

Mark
Yeah.. I knew that, but I still don't know what to untick. It's not much point restarting my pc when it starts at 73%

Old 07-21-2002, 10:41 AM   #14
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

yes once in a while I get that warning.
Plus I discovered that there is an unknown running task program that 'interferes' with the EQ causing the comp to freeze... trying to pinpoint what it is...

no... you're not being a know-it-all, you're speaking from experience.
but I may work on starting my computer with a clean slate...
Old 07-21-2002, 10:41 AM   #15
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

I have already been running my system with everything shut off for a while. All you absolutely NEED to have checked is the "system tray" and the "task bar dispay". You can get rid of all that other stuff because all it does is eat system resorces.You dont need a virus checker turned on unless you are useing "outlook express" for e-mail or downloading files from an unknown source, i.e. hacker sites. I am running Windows 98 and on my system all I have at start up is the "explorer" and "system tray" and I usualy run at 97% free resources. You could also try getting a memory monitoring program so that when you hit a certain percentage of system resorces it frees up any unused memory. I have the MaxMem program from www.analogx.com and it works like a champ for that.
Old 07-21-2002, 10:50 AM   #16
Deathbringer

Excellent! Thanks everyone!

Old 07-21-2002, 10:57 AM   #17
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Deathbringer:
okay you seem to know a lot more than I on this issue, help me out here. What do I need and what don't I?
Get rid of:
Stillimagemonitor
Epson Status Monitor...
New.net
Description of shortcut

What is:
SaveNow
VetAlert

From my searches on Google Groups I think:
PowerReg Scheduler and NetBus Server Pro may be viruses.

Is New.net something you installed yourself?

ICSDCLT is from Microsoft, Needed for Internet Connection Sharing.

SSDPSRV (I got this from Google Groups):

ssdpsrv.exe is part of Win Me's Universal Plug n Play - this component provides SSDP and GENA services. Where SSDP = Simple Service Discovery Protocol and GENA = General Event Notification Architecture. Something you almost certainly don't require unless you are controlling your VCR, washing machine or coffee maker from your PC. Rather than unchecking this entry in MSConfig I would recommend that you consider uninstalling Universal PnP using Add/Remove Programs | Windows |Setup | Communications | Details and uncheck U PnP and then Apply. That is, of course, unless you are one of those rare people with a VCR that can be controlled from their PC, or a coffee maker, fridge or washing machine.
Some more details can be found at MS KB Q262458 - "Description of Universal Plug and Play Features in Windows Me"

Hope this helps.

Mark

[ 07-21-2002, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: ]
Old 07-21-2002, 11:01 AM   #18
Deathbringer

cheer's skywalker! I have no idea what 'Save Now' is I'll disable it. VET is my virus scanner

[ 07-21-2002, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: Deathbringer ]

Old 07-21-2002, 11:06 AM   #19
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
cheer's skywalker! I have no idea what 'Save Now' is I'll disable it. VET is my virus scanner
I looked up Vet Alert on Google and I got this page:

http://www.hep-c-alert.org/vetalert/

I thought you might be a Veteran! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Mark
Old 07-21-2002, 11:11 AM   #20
Deathbringer

Quote:
quote:
I looked up Vet Alert on Google and I got this page:

http://www.hep-c-alert.org/vetalert/

I thought you might be a Veteran! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Mark
[/QUOTE]ooookkkk.... its not that believe me, vet alert just tells me when a virus has been detected.