Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2002, 04:01 PM   #11
DiabloRex
Elminster

*waits for Mel to see this thread*
Old 06-25-2002, 12:53 AM   #12
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Rammstein is definately NOT heavy metal. Its an insult to group them with crap like system of a down. Thats like calling Skinny Puppy, KMFDM , or Suicide Commando heavy metal. I caught the Rammstein bug by accidentaly seeing them live at the Capitol Ballroom in D.C. I got there before the club night started because they usualy had pretty cool bands play there early in the night like the Impotent sea snakes, the misfits, murphys law ,Chemlab, Uranium 235 ect.. Well Rammstein happened to be playing on this particular night and the place was PACKED!! They were touring for the "Herzleid" album , which IMHO blows all their later stuff away! There is nothing like angry German men shouting angry German things to get a crowd going. The show was brilliant and I have been hooked ever since.

[ 06-25-2002, 01:40 AM: Message edited by: The Hunter of Jahanna ]
Old 06-25-2002, 03:13 AM   #13
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

they maybe great but I can't understand a word what they are saying. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2002, 04:50 AM   #14
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by DiabloRex:
*waits for Mel to see this thread*
Why? I'm not that big a fan... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Anyway Talthy, Rammstein (which isn't exactly pronounced Rammstine either but oh well it's close enough ) was actually named after Ramstein, the airport base in Germany where so many people died a bunch of years ago (I think that it's too long ago to remember for most Rammstein fans in their teens) when a stunt plane crashed into them. Hence the lyrics of "Rammstein" and "Wollt ihr das Bett in Flammen sehen": it's just the usual flirting with provocative subjects for shock effect and, to be fair to them, to make people think.
I saw Rammstein live several years ago and thought it was great, though I imagine the trick with the fireworks etc gets old after a few times (though I must admit I was shivering when Til came on stage burning, going "Ramm....stein.... ein Mensch brennt").
A friend of mine actually knew Rammstein before they became so popular, i.e. before Herzeleid. Saw them play in Berlin then.
Uss, it's nonsense that Rammstein isn't popular in USA, they are, very much so! Considering the fact that a lot of Europeans don't speak German either (at least not half as well as they'd like to think), there should be no difference between the USA and Europe in that respect. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2002, 04:56 AM   #15
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
they usualy had pretty cool bands play there early in the night like the Impotent sea snakes *snip* There is nothing like angry German men shouting angry German things to get a crowd going. The show was brilliant and I have been hooked ever since.
The Impotent Sea Snakes? Pretty cool?? [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]
Isn't that that utterly silly and corny 'sex-act' band who rely solely on 'doing stuff' on stage because their music sucks? If so, I've seen them live as well, can't say I was terribly impressed.
Oh, and just FYI, most of Rammstein's texts aren't 'angry' at all.
I have a personal theory that it's WW2 that causes so many people to think German sounds "angry", "harsh". I don't think it sounds like that at all... it has many soft, liquid/gliding consonants... I imagine French or Czech sounds harsh to them too, then. But anyway, that aside, I think I'm going a little too much OT here.
I agree on the genre thing, I wouldn't group Rammstein with 'heavy metal' either: to me heavy metal is Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden or stuff like that. Rammstein has a lot of its roots in bands like Ooomph!

[ 06-25-2002, 05:00 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 06-25-2002, 05:34 AM   #16
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:

I agree on the genre thing, I wouldn't group Rammstein with 'heavy metal' either: to me heavy metal is Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden or stuff like that. Rammstein has a lot of its roots in bands like Ooomph!
umm, please do not talk about that. just because i said heavy metal(i really dont know much about genres..), everybody indiviually tells me its not. Talthyr already said that. then RimJaw, then Hunter of Jahanna, then you.

i really dont know much of a diffirence in Death metal, heavy metal, industrial and stuff like that. there are so many similar genres.

what is your favourite Rammstein song? i think mine is Mein Herz Brennt(My Heart Burns). my favourite part of that song is:
Nun liebe Kinder gebt fein acht,
ich bin die Stimme aus dem Kissen,
ich hab euch etwas mitgebracht,
ein heller Schein am Firmament

which means:

Now, dear children, pay attention,
I am the voice from the pillow,
I have brought you something,
A bright light on the heavens

oh, a great lyrics/translation site: http://www.geocities.com/area51newmexico/page7.html
Old 06-25-2002, 05:44 AM   #17
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by uss:
umm, please do not talk about that. just because i said heavy metal(i really dont know much about genres..), everybody indiviually tells me its not. Talthyr already said that. then RimJaw, then Hunter of Jahanna, then you.
Why not? I was simply replying to what Hunter said, I didn't tell you anything.

Quote:

what is your favourite Rammstein song? i think mine is Mein Herz Brennt(My Heart Burns). my favourite part of that song is:
Nun liebe Kinder gebt fein acht,
ich bin die Stimme aus dem Kissen,
ich hab euch etwas mitgebracht,
ein heller Schein am Firmament

which means:

Now, dear children, pay attention,
I am the voice from the pillow,
I have brought you something,
A bright light on the heavens

oh, a great lyrics/translation site: http://www.geocities.com/area51newmexico/page7.html
Owww Gods, not translations? Just my personal opinion: translations of Rammstein lyrics SUCK. Period. I've been thinking about trying my hand at them myself a few times (having followed courses in translation) but it's just VERY difficult to do. Most of the stuff found online is either inaccurate or completely kills off the atmosphere and puns/double entendres in the texts. Now I'm not saying that's surprising; as I mentioned before, it's very difficult to trnaslate, and I realise it may be the only option available for those who don't speak German..... but still. Ick.
Old 06-25-2002, 05:50 AM   #18
Sorcerer Alex

Ach Melusinchen, bück dich doch noch einmal...

But on a more, er, serious note, I can't say I really like them. Each to their own, but it's just really not my kind of music.

Old 06-25-2002, 05:55 AM   #19
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
Ach Melusinchen, bück dich doch noch einmal...

But on a more, er, serious note, I can't say I really like them. Each to their own, but it's just really not my kind of music.
ROFLMAO! I'm getting a deja vu - didn't we already 'go into this' on Panda?

And fair enough... as a matter of fact I was pretty opposed to them at first, LOL. I can be stubborn like that, and I had convinced myself I didn't like that type of music. The real conversion came when I saw Lost Highway - their music is integrated into that movie splendidly.

Oh and Uss, as for my favourites? I really loved the video for Du Riechst So Gut, and the song itself as well. I'm quite partial to the first album... But no real favourites. I listen to Rammstein only sporadically, and when I do, I like almost all of it. However, I do feel that the last songs on Mutter are not at all up to their usual standard. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

[ 06-25-2002, 05:56 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 06-25-2002, 05:55 AM   #20
stenbjorn
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i know this should be a seperate post but does anyone like tool?