Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2002, 11:29 AM   #11
Erydian
Manshoon

quote:
Originally posted by Tobbin:

EDIT: Oh yeah, keep an eye on your alignment too. Certain events are triggered based on what alignment you are. Meaning certain factions will treat you differently according to how you come across. This also isn't really highly important either, because the game just doesn't care. It will let you be as good or as bad as you want. It's cool like that. ;o)

Good point Tobbin. Another thing I forgot to mention - nearly EVERYTHING that you do will affect your alignment (including dialogue options). After so many chaotic choices for instance, your alignment will actually change. In this game, alignment is an extremely malleable element of your character.
Old 01-19-2002, 11:33 AM   #12
fable
Quintesson

Why is it important to create a stat that gives you slightly more experience per incident, in a game of unlimited levels?

If you want to create a character who has a high CON, STR and DEX, you'll have a great fighter and tons of battles on your hands. If you want to go the WIS/INT/CHA route, you'll have a great mage, fewer battles, and more puzzles; you'll want to hang back a lot, and let others engage at melee. There's no one "right" way to play the game. The important thing is to have fun, and you can do that with any number of possible configurations that result in a winning character.
Old 01-19-2002, 12:24 PM   #13
Erydian
Manshoon

quote:
Originally posted by fable:
Why is it important to create a stat that gives you slightly more experience per incident, in a game of unlimited levels?

If you want to create a character who has a high CON, STR and DEX, you'll have a great fighter and tons of battles on your hands. If you want to go the WIS/INT/CHA route, you'll have a great mage, fewer battles, and more puzzles; you'll want to hang back a lot, and let others engage at melee. There's no one "right" way to play the game. The important thing is to have fun, and you can do that with any number of possible configurations that result in a winning character.

Because it (wisdom) also heavily influences what dialogue options are available to you, and what memories you recall, and depending on how you intend to play, that can be a good thing. The experience modifier is just a nice bonus I guess.

But I completely agree, there is no "right" way.

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: Erydian ]

Old 01-19-2002, 01:58 PM   #14
Galadria1
Zhentarim Guard

[img]smile.gif[/img] So, you think I should start again? I have a high STR/CON/DEX, with just 10 INT/WIS/CHA. I guess I screwed up. Oh, well, (sigh) It's not like I was that far along. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Lady Galadria, a proud Cavalier of Keldorn\'s Order; Oh So Simple Marshmallow Woman of the ORT. Member, HADB<br /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" -Saki<br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Old 01-19-2002, 02:08 PM   #15
fable
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by Erydian:
[QB]

Because it (wisdom) also heavily influences what dialogue options are available to you, and what memories you recall, and depending on how you intend to play, that can be a good thing. The experience modifier is just a nice bonus I guess.

It's also unneeded, because you get huge amounts of experience in battle that you otherwise wouldn't, if you go the INT/WIS/CHA route.

What annoys me is that so many people have typed P:T as a dull game without combat, because they ask this question, then roll up characters with high INT/WIS/CHA. They get non-combative options and choose 'em, and then they complain--where they *could* have played a really great battle-filled CRPG if they just chose the other route.

Oddly enough, the same people have no problem with creating massive brutes in Fallout 1/2 who get few options and less puzzle-solving experience.
Old 01-20-2002, 08:23 PM   #16
Tobbin
Red Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by fable:

It's also unneeded, because you get huge amounts of experience in battle that you otherwise wouldn't, if you go the INT/WIS/CHA route.

What annoys me is that so many people have typed P:T as a dull game without combat, because they ask this question, then roll up characters with high INT/WIS/CHA. They get non-combative options and choose 'em, and then they complain--where they *could* have played a really great battle-filled CRPG if they just chose the other route.

Oddly enough, the same people have no problem with creating massive brutes in Fallout 1/2 who get few options and less puzzle-solving experience.

I started off with everything all even. It really doesn't matter in the beginning. Mainly, it depends on which class you decide to specialize in. Also whether you want regenerative capabilities (if you get up to 25 in CON, you'll see what I mean - WOO HOO) Eventually, you will raise so many levels that you will have everything maxed out. If you plan to run a mage though, I would recommend pushing those int/wis stats as 1 of the NPC's you talk to will need you to have them to give you training. If you decide to play a fighter, you will need to push CON and STR. A thief just has to have DEX, but it doesn't hurt to have STR & CON. Don't worry about the numbers in the beginning though. It's not really a biggie. LadyZ is right saying that there are items in the game that will help push your skills too. It's kinda more fun when you really don't know what's going on as it kind of makes the game fresh. Who wants to be the BEST at everything anyways? I mean, you are immortal right? You die, you just get back up. LOL Some places, you gotta die to get to an important place anyways.