Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2002, 02:32 PM   #21
MagiK

[quote]Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
Quote:
On the 'respected him as a man', how do you know? Have you discussed the point with any of them? It would be highly bizarre for any leading politician, (except those representing countries overtly hostile to the US who don't care who knows it) to say anything in the least bit negative about George Bush. Not just bizarre, - stupid. Of course no-one is going to criticise him out loud! (They may genuinely think he's amazing. I have no idea. But certainly what politicians say in public needs to be taken with a pinch of salt, n'est pas?)

As to Israel, well, what has he said, really? He's very carefully not saying very much, it strikes me. I thought the way Colin Powell sauntered over there a few weeks ago was interesting, taking in a tour of parts of the middle east before actually getting to Israel.

Hot potatoes, anyone?
Im basing my comments about world leaders and their respect for GWB on their own televised comments, their actions toward him when photographed and televised with him, while you wont always know the truth of what they are really thinking, if you are observant you can usually catch signs if they are being duplicitous. It does however depend on the quality of the video feed some times.

As for Colin Powelles agenda, there were many reasons most of which we know some of which we don't why he was touring the countries he did, there are OTHER issues besides the Palistinian and Israeli one in the middle east right now, and truth be told, Israel can take care of itself if push comes to shove unless Iraq and Iran throw into the ring too.

Unfortunately the really scarey things that Powell has to worry about aren't being talked about publicly right now...the Israeli issue is a minor one on the whole.

Old 05-09-2002, 02:45 PM   #22
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
quote:
Personally I dont think his public speaking ability to the media matters too much to nayone but people interested in getting elected...as WORLD leader It is far more important that he be able to have meaningful personal dialog with the other world leaders. They may not like what he says but so far they have respected him as the man. (for the most part).

Exactly how is he "waving them on from behind his back"?? What actions has he taken to show approval behind the scenes? I havent seen any indication that he has meant anything other than what he has said...its not like he signed an emergency spending bill to send more arms to Israel or anything. Without gongressional approval he can't really do anything to cut support. There is very strong support for Israel in congress.
Interesting Freudian slip there MagiK.

Whaddya mean, WORLD leader? Aha, you begin to show your true colours... takeover bid, anyone?
[/QUOTE]Bush is a WORLD leader, as is Your chief of state, as is The French President as are many others... [img]smile.gif[/img] no freudian slip there...all my freudians are sex oriented [img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]Nah, you said 'as WORLD leader'. I think you probably meant to say 'as A world leader'. Yes? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2002, 02:53 PM   #23
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
quote:
Quote:
On the 'respected him as a man', how do you know? Have you discussed the point with any of them? It would be highly bizarre for any leading politician, (except those representing countries overtly hostile to the US who don't care who knows it) to say anything in the least bit negative about George Bush. Not just bizarre, - stupid. Of course no-one is going to criticise him out loud! (They may genuinely think he's amazing. I have no idea. But certainly what politicians say in public needs to be taken with a pinch of salt, n'est pas?)

As to Israel, well, what has he said, really? He's very carefully not saying very much, it strikes me. I thought the way Colin Powell sauntered over there a few weeks ago was interesting, taking in a tour of parts of the middle east before actually getting to Israel.

Hot potatoes, anyone?
Im basing my comments about world leaders and their respect for GWB on their own televised comments, their actions toward him when photographed and televised with him, while you wont always know the truth of what they are really thinking, if you are observant you can usually catch signs if they are being duplicitous. It does however depend on the quality of the video feed some times.

As for Colin Powelles agenda, there were many reasons most of which we know some of which we don't why he was touring the countries he did, there are OTHER issues besides the Palistinian and Israeli one in the middle east right now, and truth be told, Israel can take care of itself if push comes to shove unless Iraq and Iran throw into the ring too.

Unfortunately the really scarey things that Powell has to worry about aren't being talked about publicly right now...the Israeli issue is a minor one on the whole.
Oh come on MagiK, you can't make a statement like that and just leave it! Now I'm totally consumed with curiosity.....
Old 05-09-2002, 02:56 PM   #24
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Taliesin:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by khazadman:
which would make him a rocket scientist compared to al gore then,huh alexander?
Al Gore was a journalist for seven years before he got elected to the Senate. He's also written a book. The moot point is; can Dubya even read?[/QUOTE]Being from the Great State of Tennessee, I have to say that Al Gore is a idiot! And I can pretty much assure you that if he runs in 2004, he'll lose his home state again. That's the reason Tipper decided not to run for Fred Thompson's senate seat. She knew she'd get beat by Lamar Alexander and it would hurt whatever chance Al had here too.[/QUOTE]So, why specifically is Gore an idiot? That's a very sweeping statement you make there! (I personally have hold no particular ruth for Gore. Just interested in your reasoning, is all.)[/QUOTE]1. Al Gore doesn't listen to the people from his home state. Since he was sent to Washington back in 1984, his views have consistantly gone more liberal than the people in Tennessee that elected him. We sent him there in the first place to look after our interests, not to become some Northeastern Liberal.

2. During the 2000 election, he assumed that he would sweep Dudya's butt right out the door in this state because he was from Tennessee. It didn't happen because, again he didn't listen to what his follow Tennesseeans on HIS CAMPAIGN STAFF told him. They told him that Tennessee as a state had become more conservative than his message was. All he had to do was change his message a little and he would have won easily here and won the national election. Losing the state of Florida didn't cost him the election, losing Tennessee did.

3. Coming out of the Democratic Convention, he completely lost all momentum that he gained because of gaffs that he made when it came to the facts. Facts that where easily checked by the reporters that covered his campaign. Remember when Al Gore said his mother in law's prescription cost more than his dog's? His own aides said the story was made up. What about Al Gore being the one that discovered the Love
canal mess. How about Al and Tipper being the true couple behind the movie LOVE STORY. Another was the one about learning the Union song on his momma's knee (implying that he learned it as a youngster). Well if that were true, then I'm I not sure he could have even run for President because he would have been to young since the song was
written in 1972. There were several more. There was even a memo accidently released, warning him to watch his facts. Unfortuately this was a memo from 1988 when he ran for president the first time. Obviously he didn't learn anything the first time around!

4. He was a complete buffoon during the debates, with his little audible sighs and such and once again, he got caught on the facts, not just once, but several times. It became quite evident that he couldn't be trusted to tell the truth, much like his old boss Bill.

Having said all of this, I have to tell you that I voted for Al Gore Twice during the '80's. I even wrote a paper about him in High School when he was in the House of Representatives. I really liked him, but after watching him as Vice President and then running for President in 2000, I got more and more dis-enchanted. Disgusted even. To the point that I truely do think he is an idiot. A smarter individual would have learned from past mistakes, but not Al.
Old 05-09-2002, 03:29 PM   #25
MagiK

[quote]Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
quote:
Quote:
[qb]
Quote:
Oh come on MagiK, you can't make a statement like that and just leave it! Now I'm totally consumed with curiosity.....
Quote:
Check your PM's....is all I can really say.

Old 05-09-2002, 10:06 PM   #26
Alexander
Drow Warrior

Quote:

I challenge you to show me a shred of evidence that Bush is smarter than Gore.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:11 PM   #27
Alexander
Drow Warrior

Quote:

Gore also has a history of claiming to have done things that he did not do....The Internet claim is debatavble because of the context, but in a speech to potential voters he laid claim to having been the reporter that broke the story about Love Canal, a story that broke before he was even a Journalist. There is nothing all that great about AG, he is no better than any other Democratic politician....nor worse.
He was misquoted, he said "That [Love Canal] was the one that started it all" and the papers quoted him as saying "I was the one that started it all", probably just so they could get a few more Republicans to buy their papers.

George W. Bush's speeches, however, are atrocious. I have not seen any national politician mangle his or her words as much as Dubya has. Even Reagan, who was no rocket scientist, was a heck of a lot better than Dubya.
Old 05-10-2002, 03:18 PM   #28
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander:
quote:

Gore also has a history of claiming to have done things that he did not do....The Internet claim is debatavble because of the context, but in a speech to potential voters he laid claim to having been the reporter that broke the story about Love Canal, a story that broke before he was even a Journalist. There is nothing all that great about AG, he is no better than any other Democratic politician....nor worse.
He was misquoted, he said "That [Love Canal] was the one that started it all" and the papers quoted him as saying "I was the one that started it all", probably just so they could get a few more Republicans to buy their papers.

George W. Bush's speeches, however, are atrocious. I have not seen any national politician mangle his or her words as much as Dubya has. Even Reagan, who was no rocket scientist, was a heck of a lot better than Dubya.
[/QUOTE]DOn't know how many times I have to say it before you all accept it, GWB is not a good public speaker...no news there...ancient history, He has never claimed to be a great speaker...he has however not been caught in even a fraction of the lies that AG has so like lay off. I can't speak for shit in public either, that doesnt drop my IQ a single point.

Oh about mangling his speaches [img]smile.gif[/img] Id say Dan Quayle has that record [img]smile.gif[/img] And Ronald Reagan earned the title of "The Great Communicator" Id say that says something aobut his speaking abilities....well before Alzheimers really set in any way.

[ 05-10-2002, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-10-2002, 03:21 PM   #29
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander:
quote:

I challenge you to show me a shred of evidence that Bush is smarter than Gore.
[/QUOTE]Well Bush had better grades in college...and he didnt fail divinity school either...AND he (Bush) has acutally done something that requires an above average IQ....He qualified as an F16 pilot....Gore doesnt have any tangible accomplishments outside politics that I am aware of...I could be wrong...I don't count his ridiculous book (which did NOT sell all that well from what I heard).

Old 05-10-2002, 09:26 PM   #30
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

Quote:
Well Bush had better grades in college...and he didnt fail divinity school either...AND he (Bush) has acutally done something that requires an above average IQ....He qualified as an F16 pilot....Gore doesnt have any tangible accomplishments outside politics that I am aware of...I could be wrong...I don't count his ridiculous book (which did NOT sell all that well from what I heard).
you're wasting your time magic.i've pointed these things out to alexander before and he just shrugs it off.