Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2002, 11:40 AM   #1
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

[rant]
I'm fed up of trying to update my drivers and getting my PC screwedup as a result. Earlier today I d'loaded some drivers for my TNT2 card from the manufacturer's website (Creative). Well, there's one dated March 2002 so as that's the most recent I get it and install it - or try to.

The initial bit goes ok, then it asks me for a file which isn't in the update package. After seaching I point the install program to the c:\windows\system directory where the file. Only thing is I'm not sure if there's supposed to be an updated file with the same name.

Then the proggie asks for another file & this time I can't locate it. I abort the install and when I reboot my PC the graphics is all shot to *bleep*. 640 x 480, 256 color, can't resize my desktop. What kind of sh**** install program is this!? Why can't Creative write in the Read Me (I read it before I did the install) that certain files are required, and "keep your Win 98 CD" or "keep the original CD that came with the card" handy or some f**** MESSAGE so we know & can get ourselves prepared properly!!!
[/rant]

Now that I've vented, I've encountered a rather strange problem... shutting down my PC actually restarts it. It's that way whether I ctrl-alt-del and choose "Shut Down" from the Clos Program box, or whether I use the normal method (Start button --> Shut Down --> Shut Down). Stand By, Restart & Restart in MS-DOS mode work OK. But when I choose Shut Down, WHY DOES MY BLOODY PC RESTART?????
Old 10-26-2002, 01:47 PM   #2
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Hmm, I have the same problem. What I do when it happens is:

1) Tell the computer to reset
2) When it's in the initial stages, press the power button.

Works for me [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2002, 04:20 AM   #3
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

LOL a little angry here are we? push f8 then go in to windows in "safemode" and remove the drivers and it will work great next time you log in to windows! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2002, 05:03 AM   #4
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by True_Moose:

Sorry, mind running that by me in simple English?? Reset = restart??
Old 10-27-2002, 06:46 AM   #5
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Hayashi:
quote:
Originally posted by True_Moose:

Sorry, mind running that by me in simple English?? Reset = restart??[/QUOTE]If were being technical, reset is the correct term, while restart is a M$ism introduced in an effort to be more "user-friendly".

Theres a few articles in the Microsoft Knowledge base about this problem, you can find it from www.microsoft.com . Problem is the windows shut down is a complex procedure so theres a few things that can go wrong. Very likley in your case its related to your driver screw up.
Old 10-27-2002, 01:47 PM   #6
The Trickster
Manshoon

Personally, I'd forget about Creative and their stupid driver sets, and go straight for the Nvidia ones. The latest (unofficial) TNT2 drivers are located here : http://www.reactorcritical.com/files...0.41_winxp.exe

Since it's an executable, I'm assuming you can just just double click on it and let the application do the rest.
<br /><br />Movie Reviewer for Ironworks Gaming<br />Hero of Icewind Dale and alias to The Nameless One, Gordon Freeman, Garrett, Elayna Sedai, Cate Archer, Child of Bhaal, J.C Denton and Patrick Galloway.<br />Leader in the war against commercial music.
Old 10-27-2002, 02:29 PM   #7
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by The Trickster:
Personally, I'd forget about Creative and their stupid driver sets, and go straight for the Nvidia ones. The latest (unofficial) TNT2 drivers are located here : http://www.reactorcritical.com/files...0.41_winxp.exe

Since it's an executable, I'm assuming you can just just double click on it and let the application do the rest.
To be safe, go into safe mode (use F8 just after the "starting windows 98" message on start up", go into control panel, go into system, device manager, and delete the graphics card. If you have screwed up drivers installed this should get rid of them.

ALso, the file that trickster linked to is for windows XP, so youll have to hunt down the win98 version. There probably on the same site.

[ 10-27-2002, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: andrewas ]
Old 10-27-2002, 11:11 PM   #8
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Thanks for the help. I'll start with MS & see if they have anything.

Yes, I was bloddy pi$$ed off (as you can tell) about the whole situation.
Old 10-28-2002, 01:45 AM   #9
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Would I be safe going for nVidia drivers? I managed to locate one (ver 30.82) for TNT2 cards from their site.
Old 10-28-2002, 03:06 AM   #10
The Trickster
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Hayashi:
Would I be safe going for nVidia drivers? I managed to locate one (ver 30.82) for TNT2 cards from their site.
Yep, go for it! They're much more likely to be up to date.
<br /><br />Movie Reviewer for Ironworks Gaming<br />Hero of Icewind Dale and alias to The Nameless One, Gordon Freeman, Garrett, Elayna Sedai, Cate Archer, Child of Bhaal, J.C Denton and Patrick Galloway.<br />Leader in the war against commercial music.