Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2003, 08:55 PM   #1
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Arrow

~The sun has just crested the eastern sky, shedding down soft rays of light onto the huge city Kemal, capital of the land Defari. The city was still distant as Arlyth'Kaeion paused his stallion on a small hill, but his elven eyes could clearly see the people of Kemal were already up and moving. A formidable castle stood in its center, its silver and green banners fluttering in the light breeze, a red dragon circled around a rearing horse blazoned upon them. It was the kingdom of his adopted cousin's twin children, the half-dragons Alaerth and Alae.
Arlyth's aunt Slyuis served there as Head Cleric and a personal advisor to the young king, and it was to find her as well as meet his cousins that the elf had come.
Arlyth spoke to his steed, and they started down the hill at a light trot into the city. A human at the gates told him that if he wanted to get to the castle, he simply had to follow the main road up, and it would lead him the the front gate.
As Arlyth rode up the street, no curious looks were directed at him. Elves were not an uncommon site in Kemal, as they were in other cities. After a hefty walk up the street, the young elf saw the front gates come into view. He dismounted and led his stallion up to a man at the gates, who looked at him suspiciously and asked his name and buisness with the castle.~
Lady Blue03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 09:04 PM   #2
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Arlyth’Kaeion petted his stallion, Atraeal and whispered to him, "It was a good ride boy, and I'll reward you later. Be patient a while longer whilst I deal with the human. Turning to the human guard, Arlyth’Kaeion gave him a long look. Speaking softly, and keeping his tone low, he began "When speaking with strangers, it would be wise to watch one's tone, human. My buisness is my own. As for my name..." he smiled slightly, his eyes both at once, amused and sardonic. "I am Lord Arlyth’Kaeion; son of Calaethis; and by his adoption into the Royal House of Esgaroth Dragonflame; and by that link, I claim kinship." he grinned and waited for the guard's eyes to widen. "Mind fetching my aunt? The lady Sylquisitae? Give her this." the young elf in black, handed a sealed letter to the guard. The seal was a dragon and a flame, with his deity's symbol in the background; a circle with a star within, and twelve blades pointing out.

OOC, Sylquisitae follows the same deity as Cal did.

[ 09-09-2003, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Calaethis Dragonsbane ]
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 09:20 PM   #3
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

The guard wasn't fazed by Arlyth's arrogant attitude, having dealt with nobles before, but he blinked in surprise at the mention of Dragonflame and Calaethis, then hastily bowed without blotching it,
"I will fetch Lady Sylquis immediatley, my lord." He accepted the sealed letter and opened the gates to allow Arlyth in, "Please wait here, my lord, it will only be a moment." He hurried off.
A page approached Arlyth and bowed deeply, telling him that he would take his steed and care for him during his stay. Arlyth knew he would be well cared for, seeing as Defari produced the best horses in the world.
Arlyth did not have to wait long, and soon, the golden haired head of his aunt, dressed in resplendent sky blue robes, approached.

[ 09-09-2003, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Lady Blue03 ]
Old 09-09-2003, 09:40 PM   #4
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Arlyth’Kaeion smiled slightly when he saw the guard bowing, somewhat amused. Then seeing his aunt approach, he swallowed. Having never seen his aunt before, there was no doubt to who she was; the resemblance to his mother was uncanny. As she walked closer, he dropped to one knee and bowed from the waist, his head going lower then his knee, almost touching the floor.

He felt a touch on his shoulder and he looked up; his eyes seeing midnight blue robes as they rose up. He stared into the face of his aunt; she was beautiful. "Welcome, child." came her soft voice. Her voice was mature; the tone of a woman in full blossom. Arlyth’Kaeion swallowed again, and whispered, "Greetings, Lady Sylquisitae... my father and mother send their wishes, and pray that you are well." Arlyth’Kaeion felt his aunt smile, "Rise, nephew. Please, there is not need for you to kneel on the ground, we are after all kin, and you may address me as such." Arlyth rose slowly, and was startled to find his aunt's arms around him, embracing him. The boy timidly embraced her back, unsure of how to treat his aunt. The cleric felt his confusion, and smiling suggested, "I expect you are tired, Arlyth, perhaps, some rest would be in order?" the boy nodded, and replied, "I accept, thank you." "Come, child. I suspect there is much to talk of. I should introduce you to your cousins, if you feel well enough?" Arlyth nodded and replied, "Yes, I am." he smiled and added, "Aunt Syqluis." The cleric smiled, put her arm around his shoulders, and lead him inside the castle, to the hall outside the throne room, letting the boy take in his new surroundings, and linked her arm through her own. "Now, dear nephew, you shall be anounced. Do not fear, you shall not be harmed, and indeed, you are an honoured guest. Be at ease." She nodded to the guards, who opened the door, and the herald
went in.

OCC, just for the record, since Sylquis was one of my old characters/NPCs, I'll RP her.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:55 PM   #5
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

The doors were pushed open, and the herald beckoned to Sylquis and Arlyth to enter. With an encouraging hand on the elf boy's back, Sylquis led him down a stretch of gray marble. Though he had little chance to look around, Arylth caught glimpes of extravegent tapestries, displaying dragon battles, and victorious charges of the famous Defarian cavalry.
Stairs rose up suddenly from the marble, and Sylquis stopped her nephew, then gave a low curtsey,
"Your higness." She intoned, shooting a look at Arlyth that said he had better get on his knees.
Arlyth did so, and to his surprise, a pair of black boots suddenly appeared in front of him.
"Rise." A commanding voice boomed above him.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:59 PM   #6
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Arlyth’Kaeion, sole Heir of his father's House, looked up from his knees at the speaker of the voice. He had been staring at the floor, and was thankful that his cloak had covered him. Still on one knee, he swallowed, and spoke, his tone soft. "Your Highness..."

[ 09-09-2003, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Calaethis Dragonsbane ]
Old 09-09-2003, 10:11 PM   #7
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Alaerth stared down at the elf in front of him. So this was his adopted cousin? He looked exactly like his father, judging from Verloren's descriptions of him. Not much for listening though. He reached a hand down and caught the elf boy's cloak front, lifting him effortlessly to his feet, and set him down gently,
"I told you to rise, did I not?" He took in the elf a moment more, then backed up the steps and seated himself on a throne. Arlyth noted a smaller one next to him was vacant. The way his cousin sat in that throne told him this was a ruler who wore his crown heavily, "I am sorry that my sister is not here. We had no word of your coming. She should be here by twilight though, unless she decided to visit father." A frown creased his young but tired face.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:20 PM   #8
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

"Forgive me, my lord." the boy replied, "I was not aware that word of my arrival was needed..." he gave a sidelong glance to Sylquis. "Your Highness; if I may speak for a moment?" Sylquis asked, and waited for his nod before continuing, "Nephew, you wear magic that shields you from eyes, as I am sure you know; even had I known to look for you; I could not. Scrying would have proved futile, for you are hidden from my eyes." Arlyth nodded slowly, "I...see." he replied slowly, his tone and eyes respectful. Then he addressed the half-dragon again. "My lord, I would humbly request amnesty, and I beg your protection; I would plead sanctuary under your roof..." he did not add, 'by right of kinship', though he could have done. Glancing at his aunt, he whispered, "I would also ask... to speak alone with my aunt, in private, if it pleases you. My father instructed me to deliver these to you;" he handed two sealed letters; one to his cousin, one to his aunt.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:29 PM   #9
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Alaerth grunted and took the letter, tucking it inside his silver coat,
"My thanks. You are of course welcome to stay here as long as you wish. Since you wish to speak to Lady Sylquis, I suppose she can show you to your room. You will know when dinner is ready. You may go now." The king's silver eyes left the pair and focused on one of his advisors who had been waiting to speak with him, an unmistakable dismissal.

After the two had left, Alaerth shooed his advisor away and pulled the letter out of his jacket examining the seal.
~Such a strange world we live in. I wonder what Alliene would think about all of this?~ A breif thoguht to contact her passed through his mind, but he quickly tossed it, knowing she probably would punish him for disturbing her about matters of a child from a disowned cousin. He split the seal neatly with his thumb and opened it.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:56 PM   #10
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Arlyth nodded, and conveyed his thanks, "You are most generous, my lord." he bowed deeply, far more then he had to, and departed with his aunt.

~~~

Once inside his Aunt's chambers, the boy sighed and asked softly, "Aunt Sylquis... I..." he sighed again, and looked around, "Might I rest a while?" His aunt frowned at him. "That is not what you were going to say, Arlyth. Please, we are family; speak your mind." she smiled at him, "No harm will come to you here; I shall care for you as my own. It is the least I can do, child." the cleric said kindly. Arlyth swallowed, and looked at the floor, and took a step closer to her. "I... The Prince... he doesn't seem to like me. I... hadn't really expected a welcome here; but..." his aunt placed her arms around him again, and drew him close. A flashback of how Calaethis had held her as a child came sharply to mind. "Your reception wasn't exactly cold, dear." came the reply. "I know, I know... its just... well... we're meant to be cousins and..." Sylquis smiled and held him close. "Yes dear, I know. Now hush. If you wish, you may rest in my room." the boy nodded, glad to be around family in this strange place.

~~~

Meanwhile in the throne room...

~~~

Alaerth opened the letter. It read:

"Prince Alaerth & Princess Alae. I greet you with warmth, and wish you both well. I would be more formal and less abrupt, but I have little time for pleasentries; let alone formality. As you may have gathered, I am Calaethis, cousin to your late mother, by adoption. Though I grieve her passing, and have not contacted you before, I would ask a boon of you. There is grave danger to your kingdom coming. Yes, I know how this sounds. And yes, I know what Alliene thinks of me. It matters little. What matters, is that this darkness may consume you. I will not go into detail, lest this letter fall into the wrong hands. I have written a second letter to my sister in law; and she will know what to do. I understand that Alliene will be visiting you soon. Doubtless she will not be happy to see Arlyth here. I would ask that you keep him out of sight, and out of mind. I would trust no other to deliever this to you; and though it is somewhat unhelpful, you should know that there is a darkness coming to your kingdom. I wish I could help you further, but I cannot.

Farewell."