Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2003, 07:55 AM   #61
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Personally, I think the media is a bit rediculous. For example, the amount of detail they are releasing about the Peterson case. I don't need to know that stuff, serves me no good. If they want to release those details AFTER a case is over so that people can understand a verdict, that's one thing, but otherwise, and given how some evidence (not speaking of any particular case here) could be bad in one light but not in another, the media can put the wrong twist on some cases.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:42 AM   #62
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

The Peterson case is a good one to point to, as it is massive overkill, IMHO, no pun intended. Galadria keeps up with it, and I don't, as it seems to me that I know quite enough, already. I think the poor woman being pregnant is the thing that really resonates with women, and many men.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:45 AM   #63
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

As for the insanity defense, it looks like it won't be the route to go. As I said, "Wasn't Me" is always better. I'm sure all of this "circumstantial evidence" will be pulled apart. However close they match the chemicals and items to the bombs and his storage bldg. will be interesting. I know I'd be looking to compare the same items to most garages nationwide if I were the defense lawyer. If the items are mundane, this could hurt the case - depends on what the items are. Showing that a combination of duct tape, gasoline, firecrackers, certain gauge nails, detergent (hey, don't laugh, detergent + gasoline = napalm, IIRC) and 2' X 4' lumber bits are in many garages, for instance (and totally hypothetically), might not be that hard.

Back to the insanity bit. I'll check my notes on this, because the last time I looked at is was the bar exam in 2000. As I recall, there are about 4 different "tests." The test the state uses will be important, as it will determine whether they must show things like "could not distinguish right from wrong," or "did not comprehend the nature of his actions," or "diminished capacity." Anyway, I'll check my bar review notes on my Computer tonight and report back. I guess it'd take me a quick Westlaw search to determine which test NC uses. NC is the court of jurisdiction, right? Because as with the sniper, there may be several cases in several states on this one.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:49 AM   #64
MagiK

In this age, with the media the way it is...in high profile cases...is it possible to get an untainted jury pool?

Old 06-05-2003, 11:52 AM   #65
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Doubtful.
During the OJ case, my grandfather actually called OJ's lawyer because he was convinced that there was something in the trial that proved OJ's innocence (don't ask me what, I didn't pay attention to the trial or my grandfather). He kept the whole thing on tape. We think the Florida sun baked his brains.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:16 PM   #66
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

In this age, with the media the way it is...in high profile cases...is it possible to get an untainted jury pool?
It may not be as difficult as you think, Magik. After the "media blitz" this past Saturday, I was surprised that no one had already started a thread when I got online that evening. And as publicized as his "alleged" crimes are, it seems to be a topic that is only of local interest. I talk to many suppliers located in different parts of the country. Most are located either in the Eastern or Southern part of the U.S., but I also talk to some located in California. Yesterday, I called a supplier in Chicago, IL. When I told her where our hospital was located, I said "That's not far from Murphy, NC...don't guess you've heard of that little town though?" She said "No I haven't. Why?" I asked if she had heard of Eric Robert Rudolph? "Nope".

So just because the media is blitzing doesn't mean that everybody is watching. Of course, it's going to be an entirely different scenariou within the city limits of Birmingham and especially Atlanta...but with the population of those areas, it isn't inconceivable that you could find 12 people (and 2 alternates) that have not heard or kept up with the case against Rudolph. Even if they have, it is also possible to find some that aren't convinced of his guilt one way or the other. It won't be easy. Rest assured that Birmingham is literally buzzing with media right now, so it would be hard to miss...but not impossible.
Old 06-08-2003, 01:13 AM   #67
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by harleyquinn:
Doubtful.
During the OJ case, my grandfather actually called OJ's lawyer because he was convinced that there was something in the trial that proved OJ's innocence (don't ask me what, I didn't pay attention to the trial or my grandfather). He kept the whole thing on tape. We think the Florida sun baked his brains.
That is a LOT of tapes! [img]smile.gif[/img] god, I went on a news blackout during THAT year.. ugh.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album