Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2001, 06:18 PM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

In most everything including medications, I buy generic or off brand. Basically the same stuff, but cheaper. I can't see paying more for something when the only difference is a name brand.

Exceptions:

I prefer Levi's jeans. I have more generic jeans than Levi's, but I do prefer the way Levi's look and fit even though the price difference is ridiculous. $10 for Wal-Mart jeans vs $35 for Levi's.

Brand name soft drinks are the only way for me. I can tell a big difference in the generic. They taste nasty.

You?
Old 11-29-2001, 06:22 PM   #2
Arvon
Unicorn

With the medications...best check with the doc. Some generic are not quite the same. I.e. the same binders and the like.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 11-29-2001, 06:22 PM   #3
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

I'm a brand boy. *sob*

[img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2001, 06:25 PM   #4
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

i dont know if i get generic medication or not, but i think its name brand because we get a bit of a discount on the stuff... my dad's a pharmicist, you see .

i wear name brand jeans, shoes, clothes... though not preppy brands, just whatever brand fits. why be uncomfortable just to wear a popular brand of clothing? Airwalks may not be well-known, but my feet know them as friends!

i drink name soft drinks whenever possible. generic pop tastes awful!
Old 11-29-2001, 06:29 PM   #5
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I always go for brand names re medicines, dunno why, just would rather I suppose, and my insurance picks up most of the tab anyway. As for clothing, especially jeans, I'll take anything that fits me no matter what brand name it is (very hard for me to find jeans that fit me, I wear a 1 or a 0)!

Reality Show Recaps
Old 11-29-2001, 06:35 PM   #6
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
In most everything including medications, I buy generic or off brand. Basically the same stuff, but cheaper. I can't see paying more for something when the only difference is a name brand.

Exceptions:

I prefer Levi's jeans. I have more generic jeans than Levi's, but I do prefer the way Levi's look and fit even though the price difference is ridiculous. $10 for Wal-Mart jeans vs $35 for Levi's.

Brand name soft drinks are the only way for me. I can tell a big difference in the generic. They taste nasty.

You?

I tend to buy from small local producers wherever possible. I never buy bigname brands - for political reasons.

I see all soft drinks as crap, really. I wouldn't drink one if you paid me! To my palate, they all taste nasty!! (Same way as most of you probably don't really fancy tofu and seaweed... [img]smile.gif[/img] ) Chock full of sugar and additives, no nutritional value at all.... taste foul, what's the point? ( I realise almost no-one is going to agree with me on this one.... [img]graemlins/nibbles.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2001, 07:32 PM   #7
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Arvon:
With the medications...best check with the doc. Some generic are not quite the same. I.e. the same binders and the like.

Actually, by law generic medications (prescription) have to be the same chemically as the name brand. I have experimented some with over the counter meds, but I've always been able to find an off brand substitute that achieves the same results.

Another exception to my use of name brands:

Alka-Seltzer! The alternatives seem to work nearly as good, but the taste of off brand Seltzer is terrible. Not something I use often, but I prefer to have the name brand on this one. Food Lion's generic is very close and what I usually buy.
Old 11-29-2001, 07:39 PM   #8
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Ronn B, dont know about the alka-seltzer substitute but the Food Lion meat dept just sucks. And I'm not refering to the 20/20 episode. Most of the meat there just looks...sub-par. Bad cuts, skinny steaks ,etc. Shop BI-LO!!!!!!!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2001, 07:40 PM   #9
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
I see all soft drinks as crap, really... Chock full of sugar and additives, no nutritional value at all...

Do I get any extra credit points for only drinking diet drinks? I only have to deal with the additives that way.

Actually, I prefer iced tea (caffine free with very little sugar) to soft drinks.
Old 11-29-2001, 07:44 PM   #10
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
Ronn B, dont know about the alka-seltzer substitute but the Food Lion meat dept just sucks. And I'm not refering to the 20/20 episode. Most of the meat there just looks...sub-par. Bad cuts, skinny steaks ,etc. Shop BI-LO!!!!!!!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

We don't have a Bi-Lo here any more [img]smile.gif[/img] , but our Harris Teeter seems to have a better meat department than FL. Actually, I'm one of those guys who buys meat from the discount bin...lol. I cook it the same day or freeze it. I usually get it for about half price.