Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2001, 04:32 PM   #1
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Is it any good? Can anyone give me specific details?

------------------
Proud to be American
Old 09-21-2001, 05:13 PM   #2
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Cons: It's pretty short, only it's turn-based combat works, real-time is too confusing and fast-turn-based is buggy, pretty damn unbalanced between magic and technology, magic is the clear winner, NPCs earn XP but only level up when you do, no matter how much they have, needs a larger variety of spells and technology, some locations can only be found by poor chance, which means walking directly over them when on the outside map, many NPCs have next to no dialogue, even if they are the more exotic ones who could easily have dialogue leading to more quests or info about their background, no NPC quests, and not enough NPC partymember dialogue when speaking to non-partymember NPCs, quite a few quests and NPCs are VERY, VERY, VERY well hidden.

Pros: VERY stable, has a good level-up system, the way NPCs react to your race, stats, alignment and whether or not your character is using magic or technology is pretty well done too, realistic ways to circumvent problematic quests, such as disentigrating a door instead of finding the key or picking an NPCs pocket instead of trading for whatever item they have that you need, a good and an evil solution to most problems, MANY locations, the few times that partymembers DO interrupt a conversation to add their 2 cents it's usually worth listening to, ALL skills are useful, cool characters, even if they DO lack dialogue, these include an ancient undead warrior whom you ressurect and a lizardman.

------------------
Worshipper of Tiax.

Wielder of the ancient Lawyer spells.

Member of the HADB clan.

Ally of the Fluffy Queen and the Dreaded Red Fluffy
Old 09-21-2001, 05:31 PM   #3
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
I played the demo of it, It was pretty good I think. Dose have some bad things about it, but what dosent?

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be

Grand-Jester of Laghing Hyenas
Messenger of the Emerald Dragon

May a pregnant yak chew on your ear for all eternity.
Old 09-21-2001, 06:07 PM   #4
Neb
Account deleted by Request

The bad things become bigger in the complete game, I suggest waiting until it gets a bit cheaper, at the moment you're paying a bit too much compared to what you get, but wait until the price drops a bit and then buy it, I forgot one pro though, one pro which neither Baldur's Gate, Wizards and Warriors, Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate 2 or many other RPG games have, if you have the patience and the skill you can make a completely new scenario/campaign/main quest all by yourself, as well as creating new NPCs, doing this you can cure the problems that plague the main quest, but not the imbalance of Magic and Technology, Magic has a spell which kills 98% of all enemies with one shot, it can also clear away all doors in the game, removing the need for keys and lockpicks, the damage it does is about 30000, killing any thing which fails it's saving throw(Which almost all things do), the best technological weapon which I've found so far does 40-60 damage and can miss, no magical spells ever miss or fail.

------------------
Worshipper of Tiax.

Wielder of the ancient Lawyer spells.

Member of the HADB clan.

Ally of the Fluffy Queen and the Dreaded Red Fluffy
Old 09-21-2001, 08:53 PM   #5
Lady Nightshade
The Magister

I really liked it
I am suprised someone thought it short, as I found there were at least 60+ hours of gameplay.
Many different endings too depending on what quests you do and do not do
I liked the npc interactions
inf fact there is a hilarious quest to become master pickpocket where you hve to run naked around town
the reactions you get are hilarious and all depend on what sex you are and how high or low your beauty is