Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2001, 10:36 AM   #1
Ingulf The Mad
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The firey cavern supposed to have a mighty creature , "Rock alive", well i came across some larva pups and hound, but nothing that looks like a rock alive, where did it go? ( on holiday? )

Can i get into the other 3 vaults, if frey.. has the key , what lvl pickpocket do i need?

U have 2 pieces of ore for armour u give frey.. 1 and he starts to make it, does that mean u can give him another piece so u get 2 sets of armour? and how long does he take?

I have been reading about class changes again, do u have to do this? im quite happy with 2 samuari ( should have chosen 2 different warriors ), 2 warlocks, a ninja and a monk. do u gain much if i swap, i think there all lvl11 now.

thanks

------------------
!!Damn, im dead again!!

Ingulf.
Ingulf The Mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 10:44 AM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

The Lava Hound IS the Living Stone, as far as I can tell...there's several of them down there.

I've gotten the key on level 5 pickpocket, but that's risky...I'd say 7 or higher.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 11:35 AM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Also...AFAIK, you don't have to change classes ever...but it makes the game more interesting and gets you more spell groups, skills, and traits.

On the Dragon Ore...in addition to "stealing" the key from Freyedies, you can also steal back the Dragon Ore from him and then give it to him again. You can have him create umpteen sets of Dragon Armor for you this way; enough for all your characters, plus plenty to sell (they sell for about 12,500 GP in the Armory).

Dragon Armor, BTW, can be worn by any character, including Warlocks and Wizards! Put it on them and watch their AC soar. Bless it with AC (Artifact of Stone) and watch it soar even more!

Freyedies can only work on one set of armor at a time. As you get one set, give him the next ore and he'll start working on it. All you have to do to get him to finish is leave the room, then return.

-Sazerac
Old 03-15-2001, 11:39 AM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

If I remember correctly - Dragon Armor cannot be worn by ALL races. One player had that problem because their whole party was made up of Oomphaz. Anyone know what other races, if any, cannot wear the Dragon Armor?? Pixies??

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 01:03 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Ah, yes...I was referring to all Classes, not all races...

How then would a party of Oomphaz get through the Spire??? That's why I never play Oomphaz...stupid lumbering race, and why give them an armor class restriction and not restrict pixies? Like, I'm sure, a 3' pixie can fit into a 6' human's armor. Right.

-Sazerac
Old 03-15-2001, 01:59 PM   #6
Eldurin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
How then would a party of Oomphaz get through the Spire???
You can use the Vanish spell to get by the mechnical dragon. Most of the game's puzzles have a second, unintended way to get around them. If you set yourself up right, you can even skip getting the ring of the chosen one and vanish through the wall in the caves in the beginning. I had a lot of fun screwing with the game using no cheats. I never finished W&W, though, because I was nearly invulnerable (with no cheats), and it became rather tedious.
Eldurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 02:16 PM   #7
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Well, true...Vanish will work in most places. The only problem is, the game should have been designed that if a puzzle is set up, there should be a conventional way through the puzzle, regardless of your party composition. If one wants to play a party of all Oomphaz, then one should have the ability to equip Dragon Armor if that is what was conventionally used as the method to turn off the Bronze Beast. Otherwise, the Stout Mines become superfluous.

Not everyone has Vanish, either...although I admit I get it and the other teleport spells ASAP. It really aids in getting around the game!

-Sazerac
Old 03-15-2001, 04:23 PM   #8
Eldurin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
...the game should have been designed that if a puzzle is set up, there should be a conventional way through the puzzle, regardless of your party composition.
Frankly, there appears to be a serious and pervasive lack of logic in W&W -- period. The game (which I enjoyed very much until it became too easy) made little sense. I sincerely feel bad, because this game had so much potential, but something went horribly wrong somewhere. Heck, I'd pay the price of the game again to find the true story of the development of Wizards & Warriors! (Like gamasutra's postmortems, which are really cool.) Come on! Minds that need examining really want to know!

In any event, I am an advocate of "fantasy realism" (where things are internally consistent within the fantasy setting). In W&W, for example, you can't get to the second town until you get the Signet. No sense. How do normal folks get back and forth? How did the assassin get there? Sure, you can role-play and make up reasons like I did, but the game does not appear to help in that regard. Some aspects of the game were incredibally well thought out -- others, well... I'm sure we could all list dozens.

In defense of the game design, however, I believe a party of Oomphazs (sp?) can enchant Oomphaz armor with high fire resistance and make it past the beast. I believe I tested this using regular armor on humans last year, but I cannot recall for certain. Anyone know for certain?
Eldurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 04:50 PM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Eldurin, bravo! I agree wholeheartedly with what you said. For example, how did H'Thark make it over to the Serpent Temple? Tickle the middle oracle until she let him by?

Regarding the enchanting of the armor: I agree, it should work...but there seems to be an invisible barrier there that can only be breached if you're wearing the Dragon Armor. Similar barriers exist in the Serpent Temple (after going down the Chute to find the Serpent Master; you can't return up) and in Skull Castle (try swimming back down the same way you came after you get the Bone Key or find Adrianna...you can't.)

Allegedly, some people have done it, and maybe the barrier can be breached if you have fire resistance of 80% or more...but enchanted rings, etc., could be used for that as well. I don't know if it works every time.

Frustrating! Ah well..

-Sazerac