Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2001, 02:47 PM   #11
Eldurin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Even though I know full well the danger of sweeping statements, I'd say that the vast majority of 233MHz and up computers already have video cards capable of 3D acceleration.

Tentative specs from the FAQ: "Windows 95, 98, or 2000; a Pentium II 233 or better; 64 MB of RAM; 4x CD drive; and a soundcard. A 3D accelerator with 8 MB of texture memory or more is required." Those are really modest specs.

Depending on how their engine works, adding a "software mode" might require a lot of work.

The way I see it is that one of the goals of Wizardry 8 was to bring good 'ol fashioned RPG goodness into the high-tech future. To play this game then, we are going to need modern computer system. Given that, I don't think that needing a 3D card is much a problem.

[This message has been edited by Eldurin (edited 03-16-2001).]
Eldurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 03:03 PM   #12
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I would imagine that Sir-Tech, or any other company building a game, would put in a software mode simply because, as was seen in WW, the biggest problem with games is the lack of compatibility with certain board configurations and manufacturers. There has to be a "common denominator" to fall back on, or otherwise, somewhere, someone's particular configuration won't work and they'll be screaming blue murder. I think the HPI board is a perfect example of that.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 03:10 PM   #13
Eldurin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I think the reverse might be true here, though. Wizards & Warriors was designed in "software mode." and hardware specific calls were added later, much to the game's detriment. I ran the game in software mode and it worked great for me.

On the other hand, it seems Wizardry 8 is being developed using hardware calls from the beginning, so while there will be issues that certain will arise, the mess that resulted from W&W should not recur with Wizardry 8.

(For what it's worth, I agree that there should be a software mode for compatibility issues, but it wouldn't suprise me if it comes out later as a major patch.)
Eldurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 08:11 PM   #14
jsalsb
Elminster

BTW what Sir-Tech Canada has been saying on their website about not wanting to raise hopes about a release date, and not having a publisher, is the line they've been touting for over a year now. With a press release package in the works, I have to assume they have found a publisher. Perhaps they have just not updated their NEWS site. Even on Ironworks, the dateline changes automatically (java app?) but the news remains the same...

------------------
JonII
jsalsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 08:37 PM   #15
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

YOU CAN PREORDER AT AMAZON AND IT IS CHEAPER THAN THE LINK I POSTED!

CHEAPER!!!!CHEAPER!!!!CHEAPER!!!!CHEAPER!!!!CHEAPE R!!!!CHEAPER!!!!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 10:23 PM   #16
Moni

http://www.sir-tech.com/wizardry8/index1.html

This is the site I was on today where I got the above information.
Lately they have just been promoting preview sites.

I had to dig for the system requirements info.
(Spent ALOT of time there just checking it out...I want a TEN MEMBER PARTY!!!!)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

: )
Moni

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 03-16-2001).]
Old 07-13-2001, 01:43 PM   #17
Moni

Argh...the shipping date has been moved to Aug 8.
Wizardry.com is not updating their site and hasn't for months.
Hoping for the best still.
Moni