Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2003, 10:22 AM   #31
lethoso
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by D*Ranged:
Sold my old P3 PC. (Sold just the case, not monitor or printer)
I got a great deal from one computer shop though...around $1000 I can go for AMD XP 1800+ CPU with all-in-one motherboard (Onboard Graphics and Sound), 512MB DDR RAM, CD-RW and DVD-ROM (Separate), 40GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM (2MB FSB), Win XP Pro with MS Office XP Pro (CD included), ATX case with 350W Power Supply, with typical FDD. Nothing to complain really...just that I have no job right now and job search may take a while...
that deal does sound pretty good considering the software included is worth quite a bit, but an all in one motherboard will run games very poorly (unless it is an nforce 2, but for that price i doubt that very much)

but i just bought myself some bits, $200 for a xp 1800+, a board with raid, and 256 mb of ram. Going to switch over tomorrow [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2003, 01:49 PM   #32
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

OK on http://maximumpc.com/ranking/rankings2.html how do you see what the test results were? Also do you not think it is kind of funny Ati is the leader on this site and there are Ati ads all over it? Can you say pay off boys and girls?

OK on new info. Until a new card is released do you test the same cards over and over? Tomshardware did do a review of the new Nvidia driver and if anything it looked like it slowed things down. Doing a retest on everything everytime someone released a new driver would be a pain to say the least. Also I am not sure what it would buy you. Everybody's hardware is a litle different so what one person sees as a slow down on one system the other might see an increase.

Half-life 2 it does look like Ati is the card of choice for this game. If you look at what I linked to on Tomshardware you will notice that not every game the GeForce card was the best at. Lets face it some games just run better with a specific type of card. No big deal unless that is the game you are really looking forward to playing then time to buy a new video card. [img]smile.gif[/img] Also on the Half-life 2 subject if you noticed in the article Valve refused to test using the new Nvidia driver that was designed to optimize preformance in Half-life 2. This is typical marketing stuff. Did you notice Valve is bundeling the game with Ati cards. I bet they are getting a really good deal out of this and of course wanted Nvidia to look bad. If Nvidia was trying to get the same deal I bet they would do the same thing. When Half-life 2 releases and the new drivers are out I would like to see how everything turns out until then we will not know. (My money will still be on Ati doing better in Half-life 2.I hope so otherwise there is going to be some upset Ati Half-life 2 people.)

Now from you original post. Show me where you see that the Ati 9700 is better than the GeForce FX series?

Granamere
Old 09-12-2003, 02:55 PM   #33
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Pricewise, blah blah glaba.
Do this: Buy ATI Radeon 9500 Pro(If you're lucky, you can still find one for 200$), unlock it, open the closed four pipelines, enable interconnection, and you got yourself a 102% 9700Pro!
Pricewise?

Oh, all GeForce FX cards except 5800 and 5900 are a risky buy(What do you mean "Your fan is busted and the card cooked over"!?)!
Old 09-12-2003, 03:47 PM   #34
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

From what I remember the 9500 Pro that you can unlock is a very specific version of the card. You would have to be very very very luck to find one of those now. If you are a serious computer hardware person that gets into over clocking and all this is not a bad idea. For most of the people out there this is not a good idea.

Sorry no problems with my ASUS GeForce FX 5600 card. Although I have though about getting a water cooler for my system.

Granamere
Old 09-13-2003, 12:46 AM   #35
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Question Mark

Guess somebody does not realize that Maximum PC used a FX series card in their dream machine this year. The reason being it had greater O/C capability than did the ATI. So pay off, I guess. Nvidia supplied a more "dark sided" card.

Where does the 9700 outperform? hmm. Do you really want me to talk about the first debut of the FX series. It takes up two slots, has a fan big enough to slave start a jumbo 767, and actually ran slower than the GF4 series it was supposed to replace. That's about all any of us can remember either.

You know, I do like it when nvidia takes the lead. That just means ATI has to work harder. But, with both we all end up with better products. Just think, without ATI you would still be running a TNT series card. Without nvidia I could still be running a Rage 128 series card. Hmm, yeap, nvidia has it good points.

Felix

PS; last time I was at Tom's there was a nvidia add with a maximum pc logo with it. Talk about pay outs!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 09-13-2003, 01:49 PM   #36
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Competition is a wonderfull thing. Too bad Intel isn't bothering with it.
Old 09-13-2003, 03:35 PM   #37
Annatar
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by Thoran:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Lothar:
quote:
Originally posted by Annatar:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Lothar:
quote:
- 2x Maxtor 120 GB 7200 RPM Liquid Bearring 8MB Cache
Daaaamn! That's some mighty fine HD space. [/QUOTE] I'm even planning on getting a controller card and place another 2x 250 gig harddrives beside it ... I love enough working space you know [/QUOTE]Dude...you are clearly insane... [/QUOTE]You can never have too much disk space [img]smile.gif[/img] (.5T myself) [/QUOTE] You can push the borders to far ...

p.s. your on a server right? [img]tongue.gif[/img]