Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2001, 01:58 PM   #1
Vampire

I want to discuss just how good some of these weapons are. These are not often used and hardly ever mentioned... but should be really good!

1/ Impaler+3 Spear: does +10 piercing damage! Beat that
2/ Jhor the bleader+2 Bastard Sword: I call it mage killer. It poisons them without save on hit. Well it actually causes bleeding but the battle dialogue treats it as poison. You don't have to immediately worry when the mage activates it's protections as the poison well disrup most BIG spells.
3/ On a separate issue, the Daystar is supposed to be +4 vs undead, so why can't it hit the Demi-Lich??
4/ Pickie Prick, another good weapon that makes the victim unconcious unless save vs spell. Ideal for fighter mages.
5/ Dragonslayer, hmmm less impressive but how many items makes you immune to fear permantly? We know how useful that is with all these symbol spells flying around.
Old 07-09-2001, 04:27 PM   #2
Dramnek_Ulk

Daystar cant hit the Demilich beacuse its +2 to hit anything, but only has a +4 thac0 and damages bonus to hit undead and evil. not the nesacerry extra castings of "enchant an item. shadowkeeper shows it enchanted as a +2 weapon.

------------------
These sweet and gracious monkey balls,
Served on plates and sold from stalls,
Bring madness to these hallowed halls
Of urban academe.

Huzzaks for chocolate monkey balls!
We'll eat them 'til the ceiling falls,
'Til Time, herself, tears down these walls
Of urban academe.

So buy yourself a monkey ball,
Savour it and then stand tall,
A bulwark 'gainst the deaf'ning call
Of urban academe.

[This message has been edited by Dramnek_Ulk (edited 07-09-2001).]

Old 07-09-2001, 04:42 PM   #3
Strider132
Elite Waterdeep Guard

what about duskblade... it hink thats pretty good

------------------
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,a light from the shadows shall spring;
renewed shall be the blade that was broken,
the crownless shall again be king.
Old 07-09-2001, 05:02 PM   #4
debiler
Red Wizard of Thay

What about the Flail of ages? It may not be the strongest weapon in the game but it can be found nearly at the beginning of the game. So its value for an unexperienced party is...um...invaluable...

------------------
-UCANTZEECALIFORNIAWITHOUTMARLONBRANDOSEYEZ-
Old 07-09-2001, 05:12 PM   #5
Strider132
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by debiler:
What about the Flail of ages? It may not be the strongest weapon in the game but it can be found nearly at the beginning of the game. So its value for an unexperienced party is...um...invaluable...

Howevre, even though the flail of ages is good, i wouldnt be using it after chapter three, its good for trolls and the like, but then so are arrows and more proficient weapons, like frostblade...

Old 07-10-2001, 01:30 AM   #6
Jimbo
The Magister

Well, I know the Daystar is only enchanted +2, therefore it can't hit the demi-lich, since the demi-lich needs +4 enchanted weapons to hit it.

Flail of ages does have a major advantage in that it automatically slows any opponet it hits. Period. No saving throw, just if it wacks you, your moving and casting and meeling at half your normal speed. That means you will get hit for less, and can beat on that critter for more.

I think the main reason people don't like to use it, is that they don't have a character that has developed the flail fighting ability. You develope a character with some good points into flail profeciency, and you have a seriours damage dealer for your party. Also, the elemental damage points will go threw mages stone-skin spells. For a really nice combo, a bezerker/cleric duel-class human, with duel-weld maxed, war hammer and flail/morningstar profs developed, can really put a hurting on things.

For spears I like to develope Jaheria with either the Impaler or the Withering spear (that +4 enchantment +4/4 THACO/Dam and +4 posion, and the posion is nasty) or go the staff route. Staff of Striking, Rynn, and Woodlands are some of my favorites for her.

Personal favorites are axes and longswords.

------------------
Drink and be merry
Jimbo
"Renegade, Rebel, and Rogue"
Old 07-10-2001, 01:37 AM   #7
Gustave
The Magister

The Flail of the Ages has to rank in my top 5 favorite weapons due to the easiness in getting it and its various bonuses.

A beefed up version of it( in a sense) is the Dragon's Breath halberd. It gives you the basic FOA damage, plus another point or two.

I'm all for axes and long swords too when playing a warrior class(besides some of those goofy ranger kits)...except when playing a paladin. Then its two-handers all the way.
Old 07-10-2001, 02:29 AM   #8
Barbucha
Dungeon Master

I used Flail of Ages by Minsc from chapter 2 all game. Brain golems in Mind Flyer dungeon can hit only Minsc with Flail of Ages from my party. Keldorn with Carsomyr can't hit them.

------------------
Barbucha - a bear's bugaboo
Old 07-10-2001, 05:39 AM   #9
Tricky
Elite Waterdeep Guard

For ranged attacks I would say "Heartseeker +4) from Windspear Hills and an underrated is the Gnasher for Jaheira. Everads sling is also a must. But for entertainment value watching my character hit the Demi-lich with the Staff of Rynn for about two minutes was the best. Watching that little fella get his head (literally) pummeled like that and then laughing as he got morale failure was pure delight. Imagine waking up after a thousand years, thinking you are this ulimate mage machine only to discover that a Gnome with a stick is slowly going to kill you and you don't have any arms so you can't fight back!!
Old 07-10-2001, 07:28 AM   #10
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

I don't tend to use spears and halberds, as the loss to ac without a shield is horrendous. At what point do you make the change from one handed to two handed weapons. Anyway, the damage they deal is pointless if their so slow. A sword dealing 2d8 +1 at speed 1 will do as much damage as a spear at 1d10 +3 since spears by and large are much slower....