Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2002, 02:14 PM   #31
Melusine
Dracolisk

Same as Sazerac. It's based solely on whether the person who posts generally is tolerant, thoughtful and respectful. If they are tolerant of other opinions, their own opinion holds more value to me than that of someone who's never interested in what others think anyway, whose sole objective is to ram in his or her own point.
Location, race or gender have NOTHING to do with it. Age or education normally don't influence me either, because I know adults acting like little children and young teens who come across mature and levelheaded, people with no education making good clear posts and university-educated people talking out of their excusez-le-mot arses.
But sometimes I tend to avoid the "lonely teen (of any age) spamming out of boredom" stuff because it doesn't interest me, similarly I skip the truly illegible rants.
Apart from that, the only thing I care about is how people come across, regardless of nationalities and details like that

[ 12-15-2002, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 12-15-2002, 03:50 PM   #32
WillowIX
Apophis

Well sticking to the topic I donīt mind awfully if someone donīt want to post their location. That said it can become frustrating when you donīt know where the person is from though. Age is somewhat more important for me I think since it is easier to comprehend some personīs remarks when you know their age.

Now I donīt pinpoint my location. Some of you know where Iīm at, and I will tell everyone that asks me (Iīm in Toronto). But I feel that "By a big blue lake" is far more poetic than Toronto.
Old 12-15-2002, 04:02 PM   #33
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
Well sticking to the topic I donīt mind awfully if someone donīt want to post their location. That said it can become frustrating when you donīt know where the person is from though. Age is somewhat more important for me I think since it is easier to comprehend some personīs remarks when you know their age.

Now I donīt pinpoint my location. Some of you know where Iīm at, and I will tell everyone that asks me (Iīm in Toronto). But I feel that "By a big blue lake" is far more poetic than Toronto.
Ummm yes but where the heck is Toronto? Never heard of it [img]tongue.gif[/img] Just teasing Mrs Willow [img]smile.gif[/img] But whats an argonaut?

On topic I always look for location if I dont know the person, it does help me understand the perspective a bit.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:14 PM   #34
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

I don't really use the items in profile as any sort of weighting, but I will use it to try and assess where the user is coming from. An 80-year old war vet carries a different set (and likely more) of mental baggage than a 19-year old hippie.

Anyways, in a hot debate that stuff is pretty much useless. Doesn't everyone debate on the issues? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 12-16-2002, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Sir Krustin ]
Old 12-16-2002, 09:53 AM   #35
MagiK

Well this thread sure did explore my question quite completely [img]smile.gif[/img] , altho I was a bit dismayed at the "Ad hom, Straw Men" making an appearence Thanks for the input. My final thought is, "It is easier to understand and reply to a persons posts of you have a clue to their age and general geograpphic location." Pretty simple really and apparently not too outlandish an idea.

Old 12-16-2002, 09:58 AM   #36
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Hey, MagiK, good to see you back. Glad, also, to see that the topic was explored so eloquently.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:54 AM   #37
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

While the overall message and 'character' of a person's posts is what wins my ultimate respect I do like to 'know' how old the person is and, to a lesser extent, their location. Not so much for reasons of context, like 'ah, well, they would say that wouldn't they seeing as they are from such-and-such a country and are so-many years old', but more for 'ah, so they are saying this and they are from such-and-such a place and are so-many years old. Very interesting' type reasons [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2002, 09:19 AM   #38
Grungi
Banned User

its always nice to know a little bit of info about the people your talking to, but its right that its the post itself thats important not the person posting it, if saddam hussein said dont talk to strangers thats still good advice regardless that it comes from a maniacal despot (though obviously id be a little worried of saddam hussein offering me said advice [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

since i first came online i tended to make up all my details that i use for forums or games or email accounts, no particular reason, hope that doesnt bug you too much magik when you reply to all my posts [img]tongue.gif[/img] but most of the time people get to know me anyway so know roughly my age, job, name etc. Its a preference thing, i just prefer entering false details, shields me slightly i suppose from people insulting me because im from a certain country or a certain age, which does happen alot on the few places where my details are public.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:27 AM   #39
MagiK

Grungi, this wasn't about what bugs me. If you checkout the first few posts, this is about who you would lend credence too once all the civil polite posts were done and things had degenerated into a furball. I will usually discount opposing views from people who are unwilling to post info about themselves once the discussion has degenrated, not some thing I choose to do, just something my brain seems to do automaticly. If I assume the opposition to be 6 years old and from BFE why do I care what he is ranting about? He/she obviously has no life experience and no real value to add to the discussion.

Old 12-17-2002, 09:42 AM   #40
canadianvixen
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
I agree pretty much completely with your first post here MagiK.

Now... i just wonder if my location is specific enough? do you all know where this is?
*jumps up and down, waving hand in the air* I do I do!

@Magik - I have to admit I do the same thing. I try not to make judgments or preconceived notions about people (with the exception of Grungi, because he just really irritates me) but that's not always easy. For example assuming a persons age or intelligence.