Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2002, 02:11 AM   #11
Nix
The Magister

quote:
Originally posted by dale:

Where is there a mana well? (I am at level 15/16 and about to leave the swamps for the mines).

I've seen a couple of fountains in Anrika that restore mana for a short while, but they seemed to dry up and do nothing anymore.

It's in Lower Trynton, very close to where you emerge from climbing up the rope from the initial lower treetrunk area (where you met the Trynnie leader whatshisname down on the ground). A few paces ahead, you'll see a ladder. Climb that ladder and the well is right there, there's nothing else in that area. If you click on the water, one of three things will happen: (1) nothing happens (2) everyone's mana is completely replenished (3)one of your party gets hexed. Just keep clicking until you get the mana. The hex is no big deal, as it's shortlived, lasting maybe a minute or so in realtime. Other than that very minor irritant, that well does not run out. Since I found that well, I have never bothered to camp, except to deliberately let time pass so that stocks in shops replenish.
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 02:51 AM   #12
Rolla ZE
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Wizardry 8 favours melee combat so a fighter is probably the most useful. I agree the bard is versatile as they can do many things but towards the end of the game I hardly used the bards abilities, I just rushed the enemy and hacked them to bits, even my spell casters were using melee weapons instead of spells.
Rolla ZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 05:29 AM   #13
jsteng
Dungeon Master

quote:

Wizardry 8 favours melee combat so a fighter is probably the most useful. I agree the bard is versatile as they can do many things but towards the end of the game I hardly used the bards abilities, I just rushed the enemy and hacked them to bits, even my spell casters were using melee weapons instead of spells.

AS far as Spellingbees vs Meleepedes, I'd go with the fighter. In the mid to late games, there are too many resistances that your magic are reduced to nothing. And yes, I had my bishop bash since and had her Staff proficiency and close combat skill to 50s by level 20.

All in all, magic users are reduced to casting Protective Spells like Magic Screen, Sould Shield and Elemental Shield.

Though I personally have found Bard offensive music of less use at the end game, their supportive music are never useless. Ganged up by 30 monsters? Just sing a bad tune ala karaoke and everyone would go scampering for shelter either insanely or afraid and you might even have someone stunned.! Then move in for the EASY kill =)
jsteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 07:37 AM   #14
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

I think the Ranger is the most all around useful class. Only char that can auto scout, is a great fighter with the bow, and learns alchemist spells.

I'm not into the thief types as Magic can open locks (your Ranger can do it with the knock knock spell).
Old 02-20-2002, 08:39 AM   #15
MaskedFrog
Drow Warrior

For me its a toss up between the Ranger and Gadgeteer.

The ranger has auto-scout and ranged criticals with alchemy as a backup.

The Gadgeteer has all sorts of nifty gadgets and the omnigun is awesome at later levels.
MaskedFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 09:34 AM   #16
Jem
Zhentarim Guard

[img]graemlins/jawdrop.gif[/img] One? You want me to narrow it down to one?

[img]graemlins/wink10.gif[/img] Heck, I'm doing good to narrow my focus down to five from all the classes!

Seriously though: define 'useful'. Everyone has their own preferences.

Me, I think in terms of "What can I absolutely not get by without if I want to survive this game?"

[img]graemlins/group2.gif[/img] My answer? I can't imagine going through the game without at least a ranger, a bard or gadgeteer (I prefer both in a party of six [img]smile.gif[/img] ), a bishop, and a tank (dealer's choice, though I prefer Valks). I just can't see myself going through the game with less than that.
  • With the ranger you've got ranged attacks and auto-searching and a decent melee fighter with some good armor.
  • With the bishop you've got your all-around support spells plus the turn undead and remove curse.
  • With the bard or gadgeteer you've got tons of SP-free support spells plus either makes a decent ranged and melee fighter. The gadgeteer tends to take a little longer to become effective but I think it's a toss-up which is more useful.
  • As for the tank - I like Valks because of the polearm bonus, plus they can wear the best armor in the game and are great support casters for the portals and for healing.

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: Jem ]

Old 02-20-2002, 10:57 AM   #17
Rhea
Drow Warrior

I'd say the most useful character is a Bard. I don't usually run them, but decided to give it a try. My Bard uses the Siren's Wail most of the time, and some or all of the enemy party go insane (as she's gone up in levels, it's all of them). Then they hack and slash at each other or stand there frothing at the mouth while my party works on whatever skills need polishing.

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: Rhea ]

Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 11:24 AM   #18
skywalker
Banned User

For making money....an achemist with a high alchemy score is pretty useful.

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 11:43 AM   #19
dale
Manshoon

quote:
Originally posted by Nix:

It's in Lower Trynton.

Thanks for the directions -- I remember that well now, but had discounted it because of the negative effect. Since you say that is minor, I'll put it back on my list of portal stops.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:49 AM   #20
dale
Manshoon

quote:
[*]With the bishop you've got your all-around support spells plus the turn undead and remove curse.

I don't have a bishop (yet). So far in the game (just entering the mines) I've not missed the turn undead ability. Only place I saw any was at the cemetary and they got whacked easily enough by normal means.

Do I have some surprises waiting for me?

Last game I played (POR2 -- don't recommend it) was loaded with undead and my priest and paladin got loaded with kills. I've always liked the paladin for that use, but the lord in this game does not have the ability.

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: dale ]