Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2002, 02:12 PM   #31
Sigmar
Unicorn

quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:

I will go back to my little hole now...and probably never post in an open debate again.
There are too many people on here looking to destroy me.

Please Larry dont, although I dont like posting much on open debates I love reading them, I notice that you usually have a valuable input to the thread and after all there has to be more then one side in a debate, there will obviously be a person somewhere that disagrees with what you are saying but that's part of a debate. Everyone usually has a valuable contribution to the discussion, that's what makes them interesting.
Old 02-04-2002, 02:24 PM   #32
Lavindathar
Harper

I'd go to one, it wudnt really bother me. They are more common in Europe cos the Americans are too uptight about everything, they think everything is offensive and its not.

And I just want to query a point, that will probably get me in trouble:

How is it that normal IW members can get suspended for saying supposed blasphemous comments, when a moderator can make homosexual comments and get away with it?

Neither offends me, but isn't that a bit one sided?

I just dont think that is very fair!
Old 02-04-2002, 02:25 PM   #33
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

MEMBER mode engaged:

Ok, at the risk of being non-Politically Correct, I'm going to post here. I'm dismayed that this has gone so far. I wonder why it is that a person who has problems with alternate sexuality concepts is automatically a predjudiced basher in many people's eyes?

True, Larry DID use a word that is quite derrogatory to homosexuals and he shouldn't have done so. So I do see where some of the reaction comes from. I think he apologized and explained his ignorance of the actual insulting nature of the word.

The truth is, every one of us has some predjudice on some issue somewhere. OR disagrees with some politically correct stance. In my opinion that makes us human and able to decide for ourselves how we feel. It does NOT automatically make anyone a demonspawn.

Seems to me, what Larry was trying to convey is what Sir ReGin picked up. Larry is genuinely uncomfortable with the idea that a same gender person might even be attracted to him and thus he voiced his concern that he'd not like a man to look at him on a nude beach. I may have missed something, but I don't see where he went off on gays in general?

FWIW, Larry, sometimes you DO put your foot in your mouth, dear! Some of your posts may have pushed people's buttons because they looked like you might harbor unreasonable hatred or loathing for other individuals based on their sexual orientation.

Fact is, I believe it is possible to disapprove of a lifestyle and still care for, like or love the individual HUMAN BEING or at any rate not wish them harm or do them any harm. In fact that's what my own church teaches. So I always give people who are uncomfortable with such ideas the benefit of the doubt unless they show me they ARE demonspawn.

By vilifying someone for feeling that a particular lifestyle is not good for themselves and because they are uncomfortable with the concept, we merely say that WE are intolerant unless everyone conforms to our opinion that anything goes. IF Larry were not just stating his personal preference but actually spewing hateful comments and insults I would be right there with everyone else, yelling STOP!

I think he made a mistake in word choices and some people took offense, which is understandable. Do I think he's some fiend out to hurt and ridicule those of different sexual orientation to his own? No.

This has been an interesting thread, maybe it's time to get back to the topic and not worrry who said what to whom on this last detour. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cloudy, off the soapbox and going for tea

[ 02-04-2002: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]

Old 02-04-2002, 02:29 PM   #34
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks..I will give it extra effort not to appear judgemental and predjudice from now on. I did not intend that to begin with, and will make more of an effort in the future to speak more "plainly".

I have just never been attacked like that before because of a word.

My final thing is that I hope people can be more tolerant to the ignorance of some of >us< that do not understand vulgarity in other lands. Example: "Fanny" in the U.S. is the word that we teach our children to say for their behind bottom. In the U.K., it is referring to female ...parts...

WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED THAT>???????
Old 02-04-2002, 02:36 PM   #35
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:

WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED THAT>???????

Not me
Old 02-04-2002, 02:44 PM   #36
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

That's actually quite funny, I remember one time it said 'fanny' on the Simpsosns and my older brother didn't know what it meant in American slang and was quite shocked [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2002, 02:45 PM   #37
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

SOunds like it is time for all involved to hit that coastline and chill off in some cold water...

This is getting absurd people..

Get back to the issue instead, geesh, we have altogether to many "heated" discussions already..

Sigh, to try and take it back on track a bit more.. I don´t like to go "commando" on a beach since I´m not comfortable that way. I have no problems with people wanting to be naked, but thinks that it is a good idea that they have their own beaches. That gives people the chance to do what they like. Being nude is nothing strange, we ar born that way so.. whats the fuss? You have the the other beaches to go to and avoid it..

Don´t eat the yellow snow
Old 02-04-2002, 02:52 PM   #38
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

HEHE, I hear you Wolf-friend! [img]smile.gif[/img] I think there's no problem having nude or clothing optional beaches for anyone who liked the idea. Personally I'm with you on the 'running free' aspect! I burn at the merest suggestion of sunlight.. lordy that would mean I'd need a lot of sunscreen! HAHAHA!

Cloudy
Old 02-04-2002, 03:00 PM   #39
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
By Lavi: And I just want to query a point, that will probably get me in trouble:

How is it that normal IW members can get suspended for saying supposed blasphemous comments, when a moderator can make homosexual comments and get away with it?

Neither offends me, but isn't that a bit one sided?

I am not getting away with anything. Nobody else has ever tried so hard as me to apologize for my ignorance. I am trying to correct my mistake and I am openly implying my error. How many others have tried like that?
How embarrassed do you suppose that I am, while writing posts such as this one, attempting to right my wrong?
I have not gotten away with anything.
Old 02-04-2002, 03:05 PM   #40
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Yup, it's not just doing the thing, it's the not apologizing, just look what happened to Istaron, of course what Larry did wasn't as insulting and insensitive, and he is genuinely sorry.