Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2002, 11:14 PM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Okay, there I was sitting in a movie theater with my wife and children on Thanksgiving Eve watching Santa Claus 2 with Tim Allen as Santa (actually I was pleasently entertained). There was this one scene... (SPOILER COMING)

...where Allen attends a Christmas party with his son's school principle. It is a dead party until Allen uses some magic to conjure up a sackful of toys for the attendies. Everyone gets a present from their childhood that they absolutely loved. Anyhow, the next scene shows the people really having a great time and as they pan across the scene there it was, a game I absolutely loved and haven't seen in years upon years: Green Ghost! What a great board game. In fact the box that they had in the scene was exactly like I remembered it. I said to myself, "Now where in the world did they get that???" It has been out of print for years. Afterwards I told my kids about the game and I was surprised how much I remembered. Well my 9 year old son wanted it but I said that it was impossible for it was from so long ago. I did tell him that we most likely could find info. on it via the internet. Sure enough there were webpages with pictures and rules. I came to find out that the old games, if in good shape could fetch $70 to $140 dollars. Then...

...I came across the info. that Marx toys, long dead for years, was revived and lo and behold Green Ghost was available. I kid you not! And today it arrived via Fed Ex ground and the box design hasn't changed a bit My son doesn't even have the slighest idea that it is coming his way for Christmas. (and, yes, I have enough will power to prevent myself from opening the box!) So, if you could have a toy from your yesterdays that came during Christmas (or Hannakuh or birthdays for that matter) that you would want again for yourself or your children, what would it be?
Old 12-19-2002, 11:36 PM   #2
Jeffi0
Zhentarim Guard

Probably a little motorized car that I got when I was four. Sadly, I was driving it when the batteries failed and it rolled off the balcony.
<br /><br />[url]\"http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010302\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010302</a> First 8-Bit Theater comic. The first few aren\'t really funny, but the rest are great.
Old 12-20-2002, 04:27 PM   #3
Albromor
Mephistopheles

What?! No one else has a toy they were so very fond of???
Old 12-20-2002, 04:31 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Spirograph!!!!

That was the tops! Well it wasn't a game, but it was a really cool design tool that would let you make all kinds of neat designs and mandalas and things like that. I'd give anything if I could find a spirograph set.

Hey, for anyone looking for classic board games, try this site:

http://www.playitagain-games.com/

Have fun searching! I found a game for my wife that she's missed ever since her childhood...she was completely bowled over! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,
-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 12-20-2002, 10:34 PM   #5
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Now THAT is really cool, Saz. What a great story. It parallel's mine and, yes, I remember spirograph. My youngest sister got it for Christmas years ago.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:22 AM   #6
Callum Kerr
Drizzt Do'Urden

A spirograph? is that when you have the stencil with the serrated edges, and the cogs, and you put a pencil into one of the off-center holes and turn the cog inside the circular stencil? those are cool, but they cost about RM1 here at the local crappy bookstore, which is about 25 US cents... one cool toy that i used to have but got broken was a gyroscope... it was so cool to balance this spinning thing on a pencil tilted at an angle or a string... alas for younger brothers...
[img]\"http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwARAyMWqyivmPQQNWY0hVVRv3oUvlvq5uMcEd3!RZut55dm8 emNqpdvpE7IkB0Cpa1ykaC4MbaPQTDKfXyfz!1y5xDqyJez01d EkyCZjmc/Callum.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Puff the magic dragon!
Old 12-21-2002, 10:25 AM   #7
skywalker
Banned User

Saz! There are quite a few Spirograph sets on Ebay and they're not to expensive!

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...Sort&catref=C1

Mark
Old 12-21-2002, 10:48 AM   #8
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

For my ninth Christmas (I think), I got a Scwinn Black Phantom bike that I loved dearly, rode to death, and would love to have another of. They did re-issue it in the Nineties, but it was like $1200.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:52 AM   #9
Callum Kerr
Drizzt Do'Urden

Well I was right about what a spirograph is... but, needless to say, the ones that you get for 25 cents are not quite of that quality...
[img]\"http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwARAyMWqyivmPQQNWY0hVVRv3oUvlvq5uMcEd3!RZut55dm8 emNqpdvpE7IkB0Cpa1ykaC4MbaPQTDKfXyfz!1y5xDqyJez01d EkyCZjmc/Callum.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Puff the magic dragon!
Old 12-21-2002, 11:04 AM   #10
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Ah, Attalas, a friend of mine from yesteryear got a Schwinn "Pea Picker" 5 speed bike. He, too, rode it to death. The Pea Picker was green, the "Orange Crate" model was, well orange, and the "Apple Crate" was red (duh!). After almost 20 years I saw him again and that bike came up. He said in his research that the Pea Picker is worth $1,500 on today's market!

[ 12-21-2002, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: Albromor ]