Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2001, 03:10 PM   #31
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake:
Magik, "in general swearing in a public forum or arena is only used by those who are too lazy to structure a reasonably intelligent comment" first off, there is NOTHING wrong with being lazy . some of the most intelligent people I've met have had a real proble spelling, so they use other words to stress there points. not nessesarly swear words but other less intelligent words.

I disagree with you on this point Not saying your wrong, just that I disagree. There is everything wrong with being lazy, if you are brilliant and lazy you never reach your potential and are wasting your abilities. Waste is a loss. Waste is bad.

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

Old 10-23-2001, 03:10 PM   #32
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

Quote:
first off I would like to stress that I'm not saying that "hey your wrong!" I'm just expressing it how I see it through my eyes. secondly I might be a bit repetitive in this post repetitive in this post, but that's just because I want to answer all that was said...and I mean all.

Mitro Jellywadder, "The use of most swear words are used in anger" I suppose it all depands on where you are cause here and most places I've been there are usualy used for jokes and to stress meanings.

Agreed.

"It's annoying to sit and listen to people talk and every third word is a
swear word" that's what I'm talking about it's only annoying because you let it get to you.

If they were deemed 'appropriate' then they wouldn't be 'cuss,swear,bad'
words, therefore inappropriate. You are right. It is only because
I allow it to annoy me. That's why I posted it.

example 1. "last night I was watching this documantory on some tigers in the wild and in that documantory they showd to tigers having sex. After that there was a program about sewage managment inwitch they showd how much crap is dump out per day."

exqample 2. "last night I was watching this documantory on some tigers in the wild and in that documantory they showd to tigers ■■■■■■■. After that there was a program about sewage managment inwitch they showd how much shit is dumped per day."

not exactly what I would call a lively conversation but I think I'm making my point. different words same perppose. ■■■■=sex shit=crap
so it's your choice to get annoyed if some one uses ■■■■ instead of sex or shit instead of crap.

It's my choice, but also (from my point of view) it is unneccessary.

"Any adult has the right to express themselves any way they want to. Children
do not, nor do should they be subjected to it" first off, I REALY think that children have the right to express themselves(and I don't mean going against there parents wishes)I mean in how they act, dress and think.

When I said express themselves I meant verbally. My son has every liberty
that a five year old could. Access to the computer, his own radio,
television, playstation. He would just as soon play outside or
tell stories than use the electronic babysitters that are in place.
He picks out his clothes everyday for school. I was never big on
forcing my son to wear anything he didn't want to. I want him to
figure out who HE is as soon as possible. It kinda speeds up the
maturing process. Or so I think.

As for being subject to it, I don't think there is much choice in that matter. they will hear and see it in school, tv and yes music. just because there is a blip sound does not mean they will not be subject to the meaning. any one with an IQ of 2 can tell what was going to be said anyway.

Point taken and agreed.

I didn't take anything you said personal, I just wanted to explain
my side on your points. (The dam thing was more of a wisecrack.)
Old 10-23-2001, 03:42 PM   #33
Cerise
Dungeon Master

Thats a tough one... I dont agree with censorship and I think blink are too much for a 5 year old.... but the records are played all around, music channels, radio etc. In a lot of cases the children dont understand the words so they have little effect but I would rather not subject my daughter (a year younger than your son) to the words. I own the cd myself and quite a few others that are too strong really for the little ones.

I have sworn in the car only to have it parroted back to be. In that situation I ignored the word and changed it to a different one and explained that I was being mean. My daughter told me off ... I stood chastised.

I think I will keep her on the pop records for a while *smiles* even if they grate on my nerves *wide smile* its better for her!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mitro Jellywadder:
I have a question for you all. My five year old son loves the
band Blink 182. I have just about all of their cd's, but he
was never allowed to listen to them because of the explicit
lyrics. I finally broke down and decided to buy him some
cd's from Walmart. Since they supposedly don't allow explicit
material to be sold.

I got home and wanted to check it out. Now I'm pissed. Okay,
they take out the "F" words. They take out the word 'sodomy',
and replace it with MTV. They still have slut, bitch, whore,
and a couple others. (That was just in two songs.) I'm taking
them back. The whole point of buying them, was for the
appropriate language.

I never agreed with them censoring music in the first place.
Now, seeing the pathetic job they did anyways, I am totally
against censoring music. The whole problem was "what is
acceptable". It is NOT acceptable to leave words such as slut,
bitch, and whore on a cd if you take other bad words off.

Anyone else have a problem with this?

Old 10-23-2001, 03:59 PM   #34
Jorath Calar
Harper

They are only words, they are not going to hurt you... or your kid.

------------------
Old 10-23-2001, 04:13 PM   #35
Drake
Baaz Draconian

DragonMage, ugh this is just ANOTHER one of those things I just have to say kaput to and exept that the rest of the world(with the exeption of about 5 people)will not see things in the way I like things seen. bummer. oh but no I don't think I have that problem with cussing nor do I think I will ever, I've just known a lot of good people who do\did and things tend not to turn out to good just because of the way he\she speachs . I've seen it happen where there's a good idea brot forward by some one with a bad mouth and it be rejected in a heart beat. then the same idea being accepted when brot forward by some one else. I just tend to see it a little stupid that a present sent in one package will be rejected but the same gift sent in a different package will be accepted with thanks. and I've seen parents punish there kids for listening to some music that had a few bad words in it... ugh now I'm wandering, back to what I was saying. I'll just accepct it like SO MANY other things an live with it.

BTW ofcours, still friends and Neils very happy to see himself back too...

------------------

Drake A.K.A. bocaj A.K.A MR.Drake
the HADB thug and keeper of Neil
Old 10-23-2001, 04:21 PM   #36
Drake
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
I disagree with you on this point Not saying your wrong, just that I disagree. There is everything wrong with being lazy, if you are brilliant and lazy you never reach your potential and are wasting your abilities. Waste is a loss. Waste is bad.

I wasn't seriuos about the "nothing wrong with being lazy" remark(note the part of it) and I happen to agree with you it is a very very BIG waste.

------------------

Old 10-23-2001, 04:24 PM   #37
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
They are only words, they are not going to hurt you... or your kid.

In The Short Run, No, But In The Long Run, He May Say The Wrong Word To The Wrong Person, And Get Into A Nasty Fight... Or Am I Just Paranoid??

------------------
The Clan HADB Cleric Of Sephiroth + Nutella

BINKY The Founding Member, Cheif Architect AND Official Chanter Of O.R.T

The Order Of Royal Toads
Old 10-23-2001, 04:38 PM   #38
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
DragonMage, ugh this is just ANOTHER one of those things I just have to say kaput to and exept that the rest of the world(with the exeption of about 5 people)will not see things in the way I like things seen. bummer. oh but no I don't think I have that problem with cussing nor do I think I will ever, I've just known a lot of good people who do\did and things tend not to turn out to good just because of the way he\she speachs . I've seen it happen where there's a good idea brot forward by some one with a bad mouth and it be rejected in a heart beat. then the same idea being accepted when brot forward by some one else. I just tend to see it a little stupid that a present sent in one package will be rejected but the same gift sent in a different package will be accepted with thanks. and I've seen parents punish there kids for listening to some music that had a few bad words in it... ugh now I'm wandering, back to what I was saying. I'll just accepct it like SO MANY other things an live with it.

BTW ofcours, still friends and Neils very happy to see himself back too...
I truly do see your point, my friend. Unfortunately, I had to find out the hard way that, potty mouth=not listened to (by most people). I, personally, can filter through the sludge, but I prefer to listen to someone who isn't spouting profanity. I do hope you at least see my point, if not agree with it. It's just not necessary. It becomes a bad habit, like biting your nails. Only people won't refuse to be around you for nail-biting, but they MAY avoid you for swearing too much.

But I DO have friends who are inveterate swearers. I don't judge, I just don't like it. (((hugs)))
Old 10-23-2001, 04:44 PM   #39
Drake
Baaz Draconian

Mitro Jellywadder, why would let those words bother you?

does any one know why these words are declared "inappropriate" realy I find it hard to believe that some guy just said "I don't like the word shit, lets make it bad" then every one said "yeah ok"...no I'm shure that's not the case. so does any one know? if there comes an answer to this I think it might be useful for you parents out there to tell it to your kids then maybe they will see a better reson for no cussing. I mean with all the atheist running around now of days it's hard for the "you'll go to hell" threat to work. j\k

wow that joke made me feel better, even if it was lame.

------------------

Old 10-23-2001, 05:00 PM   #40
Drake
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
I truly do see your point, my friend. Unfortunately, I had to find out the hard way that, potty mouth=not listened to (by most people). I, personally, can filter through the sludge, but I prefer to listen to someone who isn't spouting profanity. I do hope you at least see my point, if not agree with it. It's just not necessary. It becomes a bad habit, like biting your nails. Only people won't refuse to be around you for nail-biting, but they MAY avoid you for swearing too much.

But I DO have friends who are inveterate swearers. I don't judge, I just don't like it. (((hugs)))
see your point? agree with it? well...
"potty mouth=not listened to" yes point seen and agreed with.
"It's just not necessary. It becomes a bad habit" yes point seen and agreed with.
"I prefer to listen to someone who isn't spouting profanity" well I can see that maybe you and manyu others don't like it but personaly I could care less wheither they cuss or not.
so in other words...yeah I do see and agree with you. I just don't like it.

------------------