Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2001, 11:32 PM   #11
sylent
Emerald Dragon

I like pretty much all of the guitarists mentioned above (although I haven't heard of some). Slash and Kirk Hammet are great rock 'n roll guitarists.
I like Clapton. Anyone heard of Mark Knoffler (sp?), he is the guitarist of "Dire Straits". I like most guitarists but the above mentioned are some of my favourites. Les Claypool anyone?

I play classical guitar, so I like heaps of classical guitarists that not many people would have actually heard of.

------------------
"Watch your back"
Old 07-14-2001, 11:41 PM   #12
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by sylent:
Anyone heard of Mark Knoffler (sp?), he is the guitarist of "Dire Straits".

My dad was a Dire Straits/Mark Knoffler fan.
He also liked Lynard Skynard & The Allman Bros.
He was a country/blues fan at heart though so it suprised us all to find him listening to Dire Straits, Lynard Skynard & The Allman Bros.

Moni

------------------

Old 07-14-2001, 11:42 PM   #13
kiwidoc
Zhentarim Guard

Eric Clapped out! Ye gods no.

Got to admit I have a whole shelf full of bluees guitarist each of who could wipoe the floor with him - no fire, no passion i nhis style and it just sounds so derivative to me.

Sits back, grins and waits for the arguement.

------------------
There is only one kiwidoc, accept no substitutes

STANDARD OPERATING PROCEEDURE
www.judyhope.co.uk
Old 07-15-2001, 12:50 AM   #14
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Quote:
Originally posted by sylent:
I like pretty much all of the guitarists mentioned above (although I haven't heard of some). Slash and Kirk Hammet are great rock 'n roll guitarists.
I like Clapton. Anyone heard of Mark Knoffler (sp?), he is the guitarist of "Dire Straits". I like most guitarists but the above mentioned are some of my favourites. Les Claypool anyone?

I play classical guitar, so I like heaps of classical guitarists that not many people would have actually heard of.

Les Claypool? Hes a Bassist not a guitarst

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be
Old 07-15-2001, 03:57 AM   #15
sylent
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by: Grand-Ranger
Les Claypool? Hes a Bassist not a guitarst
oh, really?

I agree that Clapton is pretty dull, but he has done some awsome Blues stuff that a lot of people probably haven't heard that much of.
I like Carlos Santana a fair bit too!

------------------
"Watch your back"
Old 07-15-2001, 02:38 PM   #16
CyberPixie

Stevie Ray Vaughn will probably always be my favorite guitarist....I love Clapton and BB King, but I think Stevie Ray blows both of them away.

Old 07-15-2001, 03:19 PM   #17
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Always liked Jan Akkerman of Focus and Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac Rory Gallagher could play a bit as could Eric Bell of Thin Lizzy.

I'd better shut up now - I'm really showing my age here

------------------
Regards

Mouse

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 07-15-2001).]
Old 07-15-2001, 06:41 PM   #18
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

ADAM JONES!!!!

from Tool

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 07-16-2001, 02:06 AM   #19
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Joe Satriani --- the god of metal.

Steve Vai--- Satriani's #1 student and the man that Satriani calls the most naturally gifted guitarist hes ever seen. Coming from Joe thats really saying something considering he teaches more professional guitarists than anyone in the business.

Eric Johnson --- who went on tour with Satriani and Vai. (if he got that invitation from them you know hes good)

James Hettfield and Kirk Hammet (hammet took lessons from Satriani for 5 years)

Randy Rhoades-- the man who brought classical to metal.

Stevie Ray Vaughn-- the only white man to ever win the Blues Guitarist of the Year Award....3 years in a row (and B.B. King calls him the best Blues player hes ever seen.)

Tony Rice-- bluegrass guitarist.... and he flat out smokes with no effects just raw talent.

Ricky Skaggs Chet Atkins and Roy Clark ---- all bluegrass and all great.

Eddie Van Halen though his sound is a little too processed. and I have to wonder if he can play a single lead without tapping.

Frank Zappa--- weird funny and totally awesome.

Joe Walsh-- better without the Eagles

David Gilmour and Robin Trower.... theres a pair Id like to see jam together.
Saw Trower at the Longhorn Ballroom in Dallas for $15 and it was very close and personal... best show I ever saw.

Sammy Hagar-- Puts one one fantasic show and hes not a great lead player but he should get more credit than he does. Also ALOT better on his own than he was with Van Halen.

Rick Emmet from Triumph.

Paul Gilbert from Mr. Big -- very Malmsteenian ins tyle but with more style than Malmsteen

Malcom and Angus Young.

------------------
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-16-2001, 05:00 AM   #20
sylent
Emerald Dragon

So Earthdog my fellow Melbournian,
Do you play guitar yourself?
You certainly know your stuff! I haven't actually heard Joe Satriani, what band is he from (if he was ever in one). Sounds like I need to hear some of his shite.
I pretty much like all guitarists, though I would rather hear a polished really good piece of music, than something that has been reworked and stuff, even though that often sounds really cool.
I want to have a play around with some funky pedals and stuff, because they sound like magic!
I played around in a band at school, and did some lead guitar. Nothing complex, just basic improvisation. I have an idea of what it takes though, and I appreciate a good performance more now.

If I just led ye off on a completely false trail... bugger it!

------------------
"Watch your back"

[This message has been edited by sylent (edited 07-16-2001).]