Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2002, 12:15 AM   #1
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

Hmmm. i just got IWD2
and i cannot seem to find triple class characters anywhere.
am i missing something big here? or do they just not exist as i know it?
i want my elven fighter/mage/thief!!!
im reading about multiclassing... but it doesnt look hopeful
Old 09-28-2002, 12:32 AM   #2
Nightowl2
Galvatron

You can multiclass almost as much as you want. On each level gain, you can choose to increment the current class, or add a new one. Just read up on the possible penalties if the classes get too far apart.

Keep in mind, though, that a triple class character won't advance very much. Average finishing level for normal mode is 16. With even advancement, that's only 5/5/6 for a triple.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 12:35 AM   #3
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

hmmm. interesting. but does that mean the class levels are unbalanced?
i.e. a fighter/mage/thief may end up to be 7/6/5?
anyway, i usually run my games on suicide difficulty hehe so extra exp there, and usually only with 3 or 4 characters (more exp there too)
Old 09-28-2002, 12:40 AM   #4
Nightowl2
Galvatron

It's entirely your choice how you bring up the various classes. However, there is an experience penalty if they get more than one level apart, not counting the favored class.

And yes, if you play at a higher difficulty, your characters will advance farther than level 16. With a short party, though, that may be rather tough, especially when you're not familiar with the game.

Nightowl2
Old 09-28-2002, 02:39 AM   #5
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

hmmm ok.
thanx for the heads up.

as for being too difficult... nah... i am the master at summoning undead, laying down webs and other sneaky party buffing stuff!
i also tend to make my party members masters of ranged combat.
typically 1 female elf fighter/mage/thief, and 2 or 3 fighter/mage/clerics

i even designed my own mod for IWD 1, all monsters had 3 times the hitpoints, giving twice the exp... extreemly difficult [img]smile.gif[/img]
(plus u could play my mod with heart of fury mode ontop... truly completely insane.
Old 09-28-2002, 03:00 AM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

We'll see how well you can handle Icewind Dale II. Be sure to keep us updated on your progress. Personally, I thought the normal difficulty setting was very chalenging, but that might be because I don't like to summon creatures.
Old 09-28-2002, 05:00 AM   #7
Mr. Mopery
Zhentarim Guard

Ahh, but if you don't summon creatures then you never get to feel that stir of pride as your very own Greater Drowned Dead shambles up to take a beating from, well, everything. It might be tactical cheese, but it's just such an emotional joyride...
Old 09-28-2002, 08:02 AM   #8
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

EXACTLY...
my party struggles until my cleric gets to access 3rd level spells... then the fun begins.
its just soooo satisfying seeing some summoned "fodder" adsorb damage that was meant for yours truly.

one of my fave tactics is to send a couple summoned critters forth, which the enemy attacks. a web or stinking cloud or something is cast at his feet, then my party pincushions the opposition with anything i can get my hands on... arrows, stones, fireballs u name it. care not at all about the poor hapless summoned sucker caught in the middle. when he inevitably dies, forward goes the next group of summoned critters!

just one summoned skeleton or monster, if used correctly, can last a long time and be tactically extreemly useful.
Old 09-28-2002, 12:26 PM   #9
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Interesting tactics. I don't use summoning myself; have to admit I prefer the up close and personal approach most of the time. However, with all the summoning spells available in the game, you should do well with this strategy.

Nightowl2
Old 09-29-2002, 01:08 AM   #10
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

no summoning??? man!... thats like not using fireballs or something!
hehehe
those high end summoned critters kick ass, plus you can load them up with defensive magic too before you charge forth.

another fave tactic of mine with high level characters is to summon those huge skeletal monsters (9th level) send em in, then bombard the area with abbi-dahlzims horrid whilting (which skeletons are immune too)
extreemly effective.