Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2002, 12:37 PM   #1
StarVid
Elminster

In building a human swash/mage, I plan to dual at level 10 (this way I have an even +3 to AC and +2 to hit and damage). With this setup, I'll only have 4 total proficiency slots to spend. Should I even bother with two weapon style. At best, I could put three in two weapon and one in some other weapon (I'm thinking either short or long swords). Or should I put a couple in single weapon and put the other two either in short and long sword, or both into either short or long sword. For this character, I want to use some of the swords that none of the other party members can use (no one in my party of Minsc, Jah, Anomen, Keldorn, and Yoshimo can use short swords or long swords), but I also plan to use the staff of the magi when I get it. thanks.
Old 01-09-2002, 01:59 PM   #2
daan
Silver Dragon

Well, im not sure, but it seems from your post, that you think you can keep your proficiency points.
That is not true ....
Once you become a mage, your previously gained prof.points become passive and will not count any more.
So you wont have to worry about the staff of magi, you can get proficient while you're a mage. This does, however, raise the interesting problem of how to distribute while you're a swash.,
since you only get to spend 4 ... you'll need to get the most out of it, so i dont think dual-wielding is an option here.
Dual-wielding would mean that you'll only be able gain the advantage of the two weapons at the higher lvls, since the off-hand penalty would be to big in the beginning. Definitely considering the swash. relatively low THAC0.

SO whatever you do, try to spend efficient, get proficient in a weapon first, then consider the dual-wield or sword/shield style options. Not before ...
I'd go for the longswords, there's avery nice selection of them, including the nr. 1 Lich-killer
hope this helps a little [img]smile.gif[/img]
Hope it helps a little [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2002, 05:41 PM   #3
F. Gottwald
Manshoon

trying to clarify things a bit: you lose the proficiencies when you dual, but you get them back once you surpass your old level, just like all other class abilities. however, if you spent points on the same proficiency, only the higher one will count.

dual-wielding is worth considering it if nobody else is bothering with the short sword proficiency as kundane is the second best secondary weapon after belm. if you want to have a reasonable tank that can still cast with the best of them, give it a go.
personally, i´d restrict that char to a support role and stick with staff of the magi/some form of bow instead as you already have 2 full time and 2 back-up tanks which is more than enough.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:37 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Maximise Dual-Wield... and when you get back your proficiencies, you will love it thanks to the Dual-Wield and Melf's Minute Meteors exploit.

Simply put, you will have 6 attacks per round which works out like this,

1st attack: MMM
2nd attack: MMM
3rd attack: Off-hand weapon
4th attack: MMM
5th attack: MMM
6th attack: Off-hand weapon

The thing is... when you do this, your off-hand weapon automatically becomes a ranged attack. So you can brain somebody across the room with Crom Faeyr without even needing to come near him/her. Think of the off-hand weapon as a returnable throwing weapon, because that is effectively what it becomes.

For the 4th proficiency, I would choose Longswords.

Oh... and when you cast Improved Haste( or Energy Blades)... ...

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote