Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2003, 01:29 PM   #1
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Hello ladies and gentlemen of the forum. I am - as you can see - a completely new member of this most excellent forum. I have recently begun playing Wizards and Warriors again after having completed the game about a year ago.
I have during my recent hours of playing the game discovered many new things mostly thanks to this forum which I have visited often.
I have some questions, however, that have puzzled me for some time and which I hope you fine ladies and gentlemen could help me shed some light on:

First of all I have been puzzled by a spellbook which I found somewhere between Valeia and Ishad N'ha (I do not recall where exactly). It is called the book of misfortune, but I cannot find a spell by that name or anything like it in my manual's list of spells. Furthermore it does not listed as *RESTRICTED* to any of my magic users although there is no category of spells that all of them have in common.

Secondly I spent a lot of time first time I played the game searching through the Stout Mines for "The Living Stone". I always imagined a massive chunk of lava would rise from the lava pools attacking me, but all I found were a couple of lava hounds and pups. Are they all that are to Brinbath's long story about The Living Stone?

Is it really so, that Brinbath will in no way appreciate one's effort to kill Raskalion? I tried teleporting him up right in front of Brinbath and killing him there, but they did not even notice each other. Are there no quests to complete for Brinbath nor anything to do at all to enter his treasury with his permission?

I hope you fine people out there will be able to help me with these questions, and I look forward to getting to know you.

I shall return shortly with more questions, I am sure.

Yours truly bsftcs [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 03-03-2005, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: bsftcs ]
Old 02-01-2003, 02:52 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, bsftcs!!!

Glad to have you posting instead of just reading!

If you've read the board extensively, you've probably come upon bits that relate how W&W was rushed to market so many of the original plans for the game got dumped. Sometimes items, such as the Book of Misfortune, got left in the game but serve no actual purpose. Rather like the "Rat Skull" from the crypt. Only the game designers know what plans were in store for these things.

The "Living Stone" is probably another case of something not fully developed in the rushed version. You won't find anything that results in a "aha, the Living Stone". Perhaps the Lavahounds qualify.

NPCs will give you quests but they don't care whether or not you complete them. Talrik doesn't care if you find his treasure. Erzebette won't respond to your delivery of her letter. These too may have been things the designers planned to flesh out without the chance to do so.

As for the treasury in the Stout Mines, you can go through the whole place and no one will blink an eyelid.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 03:10 PM   #3
WillowIX
Apophis

Welcome to the board bsftcs. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] Or shall I say "welcome to the registered users"?

The only "living stone" I´ve encountered is not anywhere near the Stout mines. It is located in the Dragon spire, as I imagine you already know. The book of misfortune is, as Wyv, said useless. You can of course sell it for about 200 golds. I usually find my copy in the Serpent temple but it pops up in random places.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:27 AM   #4
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

Gday bfstc,
Welcome to the forum.
I always assumed that the "living stone" referred to some of the monsters in the stout mines that look like Scabban.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:44 AM   #5
Olli Kalma

Welcome to aboard bsftcs !

What others told you about that spellbook, I have my own theory about that and connection to the Rat skull Wyvern was talking about!

There's some other book too, that has nothing to do, but it looks nice in your bookshelf... And that Rat skull... it's ofcource the one that keeps your books in order... so they not fall from shelf... You know what I mean! That...
bookrack... ( Didn't find that word from my dictionary )

Well anyway, welcome and enjoy the game with us!

Edited to change wrong names [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-02-2003, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: Olli Kalma ]
Old 02-02-2003, 12:01 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome to the boards, bsftcs! May your time in the Gael Serran prove the stuff late-night movies are made of.

I always thought the living stone was a side reference to the lava pups and lava mommy. Never found anything else, alas.

And Olli, the word you were looking for is "bookend", the thing you put on the end of a row of books to prevent them from falling over.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 06:26 PM   #7
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Thank you all for your kind replies.
As to the Stout Mine Treasury, please let me get this straight: Although I am able to freely enter the Treasury without the king's permission I cannot get into the locked parts of the vault without the use of his key. Is it possible to pickpocket the key and/or Kraokendon from him at all? Or will I have to kill him to obtain the said two objects? Furthermore: Is it possible to "vanish" into the locked parts of the vault to get to the loot?
Old 02-03-2003, 04:29 AM   #8
moiraine sedai
Zhentarim Guard

hey!

another new board member!

Anyway, this probably isn't related but i found when i killed the stout king as he was HOLDING his hammer, it just disappeared along with his corpse. When, however, i killed him when it was in the air (heading right for me), i got it, and it was worth a pretty penny. Btw, is it possible for a character to use that hammer? I remember him saying only he could use it. Is this true???

Cheers,
Moiraine Sedai
Old 02-03-2003, 04:38 AM   #9
Olli Kalma

Trying to pickpocket that key is very hard
Don't know does Vanish work, you might try that first, but remember to SAVE before doing something radical in your game [img]smile.gif[/img]

And yes, you can use that hammer.
Just equip it into 'seacond hand weapon slot' ( long word )
and select weapon just like scrolling spells and aim some monster and let the hammer fly [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2003, 05:33 AM   #10
Radek
Red Dragon

Everything essential has already been said. My opinions:
1. The Book of Misfortune. It's either an intend (it's a misfortune!) or a spell planned in the early stages of the game development but not implemented later. At any rate, the book can only be sold.
2. The Living Stone. I consider it a poetic hyperbole to a Lava Hound.
3. Raskallion and Brinbath. Perhaps, another relict from early stages of the game development. Later on, another questgiver took care about Raskalion.
4. The key and the hammer. I got both by killing the king. I simply went and killed him in his throne room. Well, the hammer is rather useless and the treasure does not contain anything super special. Therefore, I reloaded my game.