Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2003, 04:37 PM   #1
Vedran
Lord Soth

Mensa is international union of people whose intelligence is above average.

Some time ago, me and Flaming Fist Enforcer applied for Mensa membership. We paid 70kn each (circa $10, not so cheap) to take the test.
And we did it! My IQ was 154, and his somewhere around that number as well.

They want us to send 150kn each for the membership. Should we do that? It equals my monthly pocket-money, I am not so willing to spend it all at once.
What are the benefits of membership?
The official site states:
Quote:
There are many intelligent reasons to join Mensa. Whether you actively attend Mensa meetings or simply relish the intellectual stimulation that membership promotes, you'll find the benefits of Mensa membership to be numerous indeed.
But what does that include?
It mentions some "social groups" called SIGs? What are those exactly?
I cannot even meet with other members because I live in this backwater town - the test we took was the first in it.

Can you seduce a girl if you say: "You know, I am a member of Mensa..."? [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2003, 04:51 PM   #2
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Vedran:

Can you seduce a girl if you say: "You know, I am a member of Mensa..."? [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
I reckon so, people like a intellectual [img]tongue.gif[/img] Its an honour to be in Mensa and also an accomplishment, I'd definatly pay.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:55 PM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
A Ferrari makes a better impression though.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:59 PM   #4
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I've taken the practice tests and thought about it, but never found the time or inclination. While I appreciate your humility, it is actually a club for those who are quite technically geniuses (geniui? - ROFL, actually genii is plural for genie). Anywho, the perks are (a) meeting with other geniuses to genuflect on your grandeur, (b) being in at least one club Sharon Stone is in, and (c) lots of little savings perks -- for instance, Hertz will give you a discount, as will several HMO's (of course that helps me little because lawyers enjoy many of the same perks).

Anyway, wear your pocket protector proudly, and rest assured you can get laid by the girl of your choice at any Star Trek convention.
Old 05-05-2003, 05:15 PM   #5
Vedran
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
lots of little savings perks -- for instance, Hertz will give you a discount, as will several HMO's (of course that helps me little because lawyers enjoy many of the same perks).

Anyway, wear your pocket protector proudly, and rest assured you can get laid by the girl of your choice at any Star Trek convention.
What is Hertz?
What is HMO?

I don't really frequent Star Trek conventions... I am doomed !!!
Old 05-05-2003, 05:16 PM   #6
MagiK

Like TL took the practice tests (and learned that I score very high on tests written in the USA and poorly on tests written in the UK) but wasn't interested in pursuing it...especially since I was out of the country and traveling more often than not. I didn't score quite as High as our Esteemed mensite genii...genuii? whatever

Old 05-05-2003, 05:17 PM   #7
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Hertz = car rental place.
HMO = short for "homo." JOKE! [img]graemlins/kidding.gif[/img] Actually, an HMO is a horrible medical insurance invention we use in capitalist bastard countries that don't have the good sense to socialize medicine. I see from your location, this will help you very little.
Old 05-05-2003, 05:21 PM   #8
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Hertz - US car rental company.

HMO - Health Maintenance Organisation, basically a certain form of health insurance widely used in the USA.

Well, TL, beat me to it, small wonder as he was once a Mensa candidate.

Actually, for years I used to go to mensa a couple of times each week. I cannot really recommend it to you, though.

[ 05-05-2003, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: Ramon de Ramon y Ramon ]
So long !<br /><br />R³ aka \"The Ramonster\"(thanks Sir Tainly) - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks - equally proud to be Moiraine\'s \"permanent advocate\" ! - relaunched edition -
Old 05-05-2003, 05:24 PM   #9
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

After recieving a sufficient score on some online Practice, I was sent a practice one, but it is £9 IIRC just to have that maked and take the proper exam.
I can't really be bothered- maybe when I find a month in which I wish to spend a tenner in that way, but as of yet, I have not felt the inclination.
Old 05-05-2003, 05:34 PM   #10
Thoran
Galvatron

It's used as an "ego stroker" by the people I know who've gone through the trouble (according to my wife, my ego is NOT in need of stroking [img]smile.gif[/img] ). I'd be worried that I'd waste time and money just to get in and find I'm surrounded by a level of pomposity that would instantly turn me off to the organization. Of course that's assuming I COULD get in... and dog knows I'm an idiot about some things.

For me... a sure sign someone is ignorant is when they think they've got all the answers.