Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2003, 08:08 AM   #1
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
[ The Atlanta Journal-Constitution: 1/10/03 ]

Store owner delivers message after fatal shooting

'Make your own money; quit trying to take mine,' he tells would-be robbers

By SAEED AHMED
Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer
The message might not have sunk in the first time J.C. Adams killed a man who tried to rob his convenience store.

The 74-year-old store owner hopes it will this time:

"Go to work and make your own money. Quit trying to take mine."

In a virtual repeat of a scenario played out less than three years ago, Adams shot and killed an armed man Thursday night who allegedly tried to hold up the store Adams has owned for a quarter century.

Police said a second accomplice was wounded in the holdup at the Pac-A-Sac store on Lawrenceville Highway.

A female accomplice escaped injuries and was taken into custody.

The suspects were shot while inside the store, police said. They fled and collapsed on the street outside.

Adams, who has owned the small grocery store just inside I-285 for 26 years, said he was in a rear office watching television when he saw the robbers on his store monitor about 10:45 p.m.

The Korean War veteran grabbed his 12-gauge shotgun with one hand. Using his other to guide his walker, he walked to the front of the store and fired a single shot.

"I got two in one shot, that's what the police told me," Adams said.

Police Lt. James Conroy said Adams fired once and hit both the suspects. He also said police found some store items next to the suspects but he would not describe them.

Sgt. T.E. Stewart of the DeKalb Police Department Major Crimes Unit said Friday that Adams would not be charged.

Police identified the slain man as Cameron Lemont Glover, 17, of Clarkston. His brother, Leonard Glover, 19, also of Clarkston, was wounded. Leonard Glover was listed in stable condition at an area hospital.

The woman was identified as Tammy Crystal Jones, 17, also of Clarkston.

About three years ago, another would be-robber, Leroy Holt, 32, of Decatur, was killed by a shot in the chest from Adams when Holt and an accomplice tried to hold up the store.

At the time, Holt was on probation for a drug conviction and had served nearly three years in prison for armed robbery.

Adams, who himself was shot in the buttocks, was back at work and granting interviews 11 hours after the May 30, 2000, incident.

"I don't hurt," Adams said at the time, in his tiny office in the rear of the store. "The shot was through and through, and they gave me a pain shot."

"J.C., you need to retire," a customer urged Adams in the aftermath of the 2000 robbery.

Not yet, he responded. "I think I've got 10,000 more good miles in me."

Adams was not charged in the 2000 incident.

According to Georgia law, a person is justified in threatening to use force -- or using it -- to defend himself or another person from a third person's "imminent use of unlawful force."

A person also is justified in using force to stop another from committing a forceable felony, such as a rape or armed robbery.

By Adam's estimation, the store has been robbed dozens of times since it opened. The killings, he said, do not rattle him.

"Your heart kind of drops, but you have to stand your ground," he said.

Family and friends who rushed to check on Adams after the Thursday night shooting said they have urged him numerous times to sell the store, but he would not listen.

"We have just learned to live with the fear," said daughter Jan Malone of Decatur.

Adams' wife of 44 years, Mary, said that, during one of the robberies, a man held her husband at gunpoint and demanded his money and his wedding ring.

"The man kept saying 'hurry up, old man, hurry up,'" she said. "He told the man, 'if you don't stop calling me old, I'm going to kill you."

When the alleged robber left the store, Adams grabbed a pistol, followed him out and fired a shot in the air.

The man dropped the bag and ran. Adams reached down and pulled out the ring.

"Many times these guys think that because he's old, he's weak," said Keith Hutcheson, who has known Adams for 15 years. "You don't mess with him.

"And when you do, you pay the price."
This little old man is a certified bad a$$.THis story is a perfect example of why people should be able to own guns. What would have happened if this man had met the 3 armed robbers while he was unarmed??My guess would be that he wouldnt be giving interviews anymore. This just goes to show that crime doesnt pay and that you realy can get 2 birds with one stone.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:16 AM   #2
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Serves the robbers right getting shot although I don't think they deserved to die.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 01-13-2003, 08:30 AM   #3
WillowIX
Apophis

Were the suspects aremd? It doesn´t say. It only says the shop keeper walked out with his shot gun and fired... But if you´re brining in the right to own guns you miss one point of view. If it was illegal and controlled properly the robbers wouldn´t be armed either. But that will only bring up a lot of ifs and ponders...
Old 01-13-2003, 08:40 AM   #4
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
This little old man is a certified bad a$$.THis story is a perfect example of why people should be able to own guns. What would have happened if this man had met the 3 armed robbers while he was unarmed??My guess would be that he wouldnt be giving interviews anymore. This just goes to show that crime doesnt pay and that you realy can get 2 birds with one stone.
Actually, I think this is a perfect example of why people *shouldn't* be able to own guns. What do you think is worse, some robbers getting away with some cash or two dead persons and a lot of wounded, even if we're talking criminals? A human life is still a human life. They probably would have just robbed the guy and left without any further actions. It's just money, it shouldn't be worth more than a human life. I'd call it excessive violence, but apparently it's allowed, according to the law there...
Old 01-13-2003, 08:55 AM   #5
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

I think robbers getting away with anything is bad. Why should they get to take this guys stuff and leave without him trying to stop them?? After all , they didnt have to try to rob this guy. No one forced them to steal. They had a choice , to follow the law or to break the law. The broke the law and now they are paying the price for it. As for not owning guns AFAK , England has a total ban on private gun ownership, but people are shot there everyday because only the criminals have the guns.Not even the cops can defend themselves because even they arent allowed to carry a side arm most of the time. That sounds like a great idea. Lets just disarm all of the people that follow the laws so that the violent and anti social criminal element can run around unchecked. Sounds just lovely.

NOTE: I am no expert on English law, so if I am wrong please feel free to correct me.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:04 AM   #6
madjim
The Magister

Question Mark

Of course they were armed.

Thank god we still have the right to self defense in this country.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:08 AM   #7
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
I think robbers getting away with anything is bad. Why should they get to take this guys stuff and leave without him trying to stop them?? After all , they didnt have to try to rob this guy. No one forced them to steal. They had a choice , to follow the law or to break the law. The broke the law and now they are paying the price for it. As for not owning guns AFAK , England has a total ban on private gun ownership, but people are shot there everyday because only the criminals have the guns.Not even the cops can defend themselves because even they arent allowed to carry a side arm most of the time. That sounds like a great idea. Lets just disarm all of the people that follow the laws so that the violent and anti social criminal element can run around unchecked. Sounds just lovely.

NOTE: I am no expert on English law, so if I am wrong please feel free to correct me.
Yeah it does sound like a great idea actually. Grojlach is right that human life is more important than money. If guns were allowed then we would go back to a Wild West situation where people were shot every day over card games. Yeah, right, that's preferrable to only criminals having guns. Duh. I don't know statistics but I bet that far more people per population die in the USA than UK from gunshots.

What we really need is phasors that only have stun mode like in Star Trek but without the power setting

[ 01-13-2003, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Old 01-13-2003, 09:14 AM   #8
Donut
Jack Burton

Annual deaths involving guns in 1999

USA 28,874

England & Wales 62.

The last serving police officer to be killed with a gun was Yvonne Fletcher nearly 19 years ago. She was killed by a Libyan Diplomat outside the Libyan Embassy in London.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 01-13-2003, 09:16 AM   #9
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Annual deaths involving guns in 1999

USA 28,874

England & Wales 62.

The last serving police officer to be killed with a gun was Yvonne Fletcher nearly 19 years ago. She was killed by a Libyan Diplomat outside the Libyan Embassy in London.
Thank you, that proves my point. Someone needs to eat their words
Old 01-13-2003, 09:23 AM   #10
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

I will eat nothing!!! [img]tongue.gif[/img] I have already admitted that I could have been wrong.