Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2002, 05:19 AM   #1
Celelen
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi,
I hate vampires! Suddenly they are all over in town after I returned from helping Nalia. I don't have a chance at all! I guess I can try to avoid them and just walk in day-light, but they are really a pain. What to do?? My characters are not that strong yet...
Celelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 05:56 AM   #2
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Go to the Inn in the Gate District. In the back there`s a secret door, which has a lich behind it. Kill that lich, and get the sword out of the chest at the back. It is +2, +4 vs Evil, Double Damage vs Undead, AND once per day can cast Sunray, which will either outright destroy or atleast badly injure undead... Vamps are undead... see a connection ??
Edit because I forgot to close the font tag...

[ 07-16-2002, 05:56 AM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 06:09 AM   #3
Sir Exxon
Zartan

FYI, the sword Lennon is referring to, is called the Daystar.
The Daystar is good to kill the bastards with, but unfortunetly is does not protect you from them. So, before fighting them, make your mage(s) cast Negative Plane Protection on your party, so that you are immune against the vamps level drain.
Good luck! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 06:14 AM   #4
Radek
Red Dragon

I cannot recommend it. If you have considerable problems with vampires then you get smeared on walls by a lich.
1. You need +2 weapons for wampires. You should have at least one - the Sword of Chaos from the Irenicus' Dungeon. Next +2 weapons can be found during quests, for example, in the Docks or in the Temple District. Also, you can create temporary +3 weapons by means of Enchanted Weapon spell.
2. Have a priest in your party. If your protagonist isn't a priest then take Viconia. You need a priest - not a ranger or a druid - because only a priest can cast Lesser Restoration and cure your people from level draining. Otherwise, you will spend all your money in temples for curing level drains. Level draining is a permanent condition until cured. Resting or waiting does not help.
3. Side with Bodhi instead of Aran Linvail. This path is "evil" but not too evil. Bodhi will not want you to do disgusting things. When you side with Bodhi, the vampires in the streets will not attack you even if they will be there and they will continue attacking thieves. On the other hand, siding with Bodhi means more difficult tasks than siding with Aran Linvail.
Old 07-16-2002, 06:21 AM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Spoiler
~
~
~
~
Aran Linvail gives you the Amulet of Power. Permanent Negative Plane Protection, you can basically tell the vampire to hit the person wearing it. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

~~EDIT] To add spoiler tag.

[ 07-17-2002, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 06:40 AM   #6
philip
Galvatron

Haste and weapons that can hit them works well (especially when you try to kill the 3 vampires who ambush you in the city). Daystar is nice as well but not necessary.

[ 07-16-2002, 06:41 AM: Message edited by: philip ]
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 06:54 AM   #7
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Radek:
I cannot recommend it. If you have considerable problems with vampires then you get smeared on walls by a lich.
Summon Insects/Insect Plague/Miscast Magic
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 08:01 AM   #8
Celelen
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks!
I will try all of the advices! I felt a bit akward going to the churchyard if I can't handle the people in town yet...
Celelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 08:18 AM   #9
Shadowfax
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Radek:
3. Side with Bodhi instead of Aran Linvail. This path is "evil" but not too evil. Bodhi will not want you to do disgusting things. When you side with Bodhi, the vampires in the streets will not attack you even if they will be there and they will continue attacking thieves. On the other hand, siding with Bodhi means more difficult tasks than siding with Aran Linvail.
I dissagree with that, respectfully. You miss out on a lot if you side with Bodhi, including Edwin. ^_^ That happened to me too, what I always did was just rest.... if I got back and it was dark I'd just go to sleep. Or you can save right when you get back, try walking around, and save every five steps so if you do see them and don't want to fight, just reload your save
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 03:30 PM   #10
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Gee, how many spoilers can we packinto a thread entirely free of SPOILER labels? Hmmmm......

Level Drain is indeed a pain in the ass. Negative Plane Protection is the only way around it, and the spell (which can be cast by a Priest OR a certain Druid) lasts for an annoyingly short period of time.

Your options:
1) Play an Undead Hunter
2) Only walk the streets during the daytime
3) Keep casting Repulse Undead everywhere you go
4) Get a high-level Cleric to keep Turning Undead
5) Start Chapter 3.