Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2003, 12:40 PM   #1
GForce

http://money.cnn.com/2003/11/05/tech...ex.htm?cnn=yes

I know some loathe Microsoft and Bill Gates, but come on people. It's the virus writers. I would turn them in if I knew even if there's no reward. It's my PC, my sister's PC, my work PC, etc. I work hard and I'm not wanting some punk virus writer wasting my money away just trying to make their point about security flaws. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2003, 12:45 PM   #2
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I would rat out any virus writer immediately.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:46 PM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I would absolutely turn them in, because in the first place, people who write viruses are scum, and in the second place, I might actually turn myself in for $5 million. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2003, 01:01 PM   #4
Faceman
Hathor

Of course I'd turn them in, not for the money, but because every self-respecting citizen should turn in criminals who pose a major threat/do major damage to society.
However, if they were close friends of mine (unlikely, because I am the most computerfriendly person in our circle) I'd urge them turn them in themselves first and if they reacted reasonably I'd maybe even let it slide.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:38 PM   #5
Zero Alpha

Why are virus writers considered "scum"? as far as i can make out most virus writers do it for kicks, to see if they can do it, not out of malice. to write a virus you have to have a good knowledge of computers, their vunerabilitys, and be a programming wiz. granted i dont like the end product (i already had the blaster once ) but whenever i see such a succesful virus, im not p*ss*d, im impressed.

i bet you all think im screwy, but thats how i see it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-05-2003, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Zero Alpha ]
Old 11-05-2003, 03:40 PM   #6
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero Alpha:
Why are virus writers considered "scum"? as far as i can make out, most virus writers do it for kicks, to see if they can do it. to write a virus you have to have a good knowledge of computers, their vunerabilitys, and be a programming wiz. granted i dont like the end product (i already had the blaster once :roll but whenever i see such a succesful virus, im not p*ss*d, im impressed.

You would be a little annoyed if it meant having to work all weekend to help patch a data room full of servers.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:44 PM   #7
Zero Alpha

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
You would be a little annoyed if it meant having to work all weekend to help patch a data room full of servers.
Not if i got paid overtime
Old 11-05-2003, 03:49 PM   #8
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero Alpha:
Why are virus writers considered "scum"? as far as i can make out most virus writers do it for kicks, to see if they can do it, not out of malice. to write a virus you have to have a good knowledge of computers, their vunerabilitys, and be a programming wiz. granted i dont like the end product (i already had the blaster once ) but whenever i see such a succesful virus, im not p*ss*d, im impressed.

If they just do it for kicks they shouldn't send it out to screw with millions of people's computers.
I think in many cases it's those people's own fault for being stupid enough not to take virus precautions but I definitely know that in many other cases it was simply too clever a virus and the people affected couldn't have done anything about it.
Hackers who just leave a "look, I got in, you might wanna update your security"-message I don't know.... I can see a point in that. But virus makers I would turn in.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:59 PM   #9
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

If they were friends/family (which they wouldn't be, since most of my friends are computer illiterate) then I wouldn't turn them in for any price.
If they were strangers, then I probably would, depending on whether I like their or dislike their 'cause'. $5m could come in handy.
If they were people I knew, and genuinely hated, then by all means [img]smile.gif[/img] I get corporate sponsorship, they go doooooown. It's a double-whammy situation.

[ 11-05-2003, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 11-05-2003, 04:01 PM   #10
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

The DC sniper proved that he had skill, but it doesn't mean he should be respected for what he did.

Virus writers are malicious scum who waste people's time and money for no reason other than their own sick personal kicks. They are like the jerks who flatten tires, run a key down the side of a car, break windows, etc.

Losers of the worst kind, who should not be thought of in positive terms by anyone.