Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 05:45 AM   #1
ZFR
Legion Symbol

After finishing my SoU game I'll be starting HotU. I will be starting from the beginning of SoU, then after finishing go to HotU.

I'll be playing a bard multied into RDD. Since I just took dorna as my henchman this time, I'll be taking the other two guys now.

My question is is it possible to survive without the thief skills, specifically open lock and remoce trap? I finished SoU and think I could bash the lock and simply avoid the traps or just set them off. How is HotU? Is it possible to go without those skill or is it better to put some ranks in them even though it is cross skill?

EDIT: I think I can have Deekin go take some rogue levels, though I'm not too willing to do so for RP reasons. Does Deekin suffer in any way for not advancing him as a bard? Like that "epic story" that he writes, is it a real quest? Does it need bard levels to be completed?

[ 07-19-2007, 05:48 AM: Message edited by: ZFR ]
Old 07-19-2007, 07:40 AM   #2
Legolas
Jack Burton

Aside from putting points in the Open Lock and Search + Disable Trap skills, there are the henchmen/familiars with said skills, the Knock and Find Traps spells, and the ability to simply bash or trigger the trap and suffer the damage.

Usually, you'll have few enough skillpoints that you don't have much choice in where to place them if you want to optimize your chances of survival, so it would be a waste to pour them into other skills, let alone cross-class ones. But with these skills, it may be worth sacrificing four points to put one rank into each. It'll enable you to open locks with a DC up to 21, which can then be boosted by thieves tools, other items with open lock skillbonuses and dexterity-raising items. Search is wisdom-based but needs no base skillpoints to work, Disable Trap is intelligence-based.

For familiars, which you won't have, the pixie is the one of choice. For henchmen, you'll want Dorna or Deekin. He doesn't need bard levels for his story that I'm aware of, though in most cases he's more useful when he's casting his supporting magics and singing. You taking 10+ bard levels yourself, that's a non-issue though.
The spells meanwhile are not perfect in that they won't get rid of everything, but they'll remove most obstacles from your path.
Bashing a lock is possible if the container or door is not flagged as plot and thus indestructible. You'll need a bit of damage output and for that Improved Power Attack or a form of elemental damage are ideal. Ranged bashing has the benefit of not triggering traps, but requires ammunition.
Setting off a trap on purpose usually gets rid of it, unless it's set to fire multiple times. Damage resistance and immunities can help blunt the effects of traps. Healing potions, curative magic, regeneration and resting can restore lost hitpoints if you survive, and if not then it may be wise to boost hitpoints next time around. If the trap's on the floor, you might use fodder like a henchman, familiar, companion or summon to trigger it for you instead. At the level HotU starts you off, there are two kinds of traps; the ones that tickle a bit and epic traps which take some 100-200 hitpoints each. With SoU, it's a bit more tricky, but then again the start of the game is more in the style of PS:T than the NWN OC so you'll have every chance of taking alternative paths.

With all these options, it's possible to come a long way without having a rogue's talent. I think you'll find there are a few containers you can't get to, and secret doors might not reveal themselves as quickly. The main ones should be easy to spot regardless of class and build though, and even a solo fighter can reach the end of the game without much trouble. You just might miss out on some loot.

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:04 PM   #3
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Wow, thanks for the anser Legolas.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
Legolas
Jack Burton

Welcome. I had too much time on my hands anyway [img]smile.gif[/img]

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote