Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2002, 03:27 PM   #1
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

I just bought IWD2 today and i was wondering what kind of character types would you recomened? Incase some are better then others. Just need a few tips to try and make my first way through the game alittle eaiser.
Old 10-06-2002, 03:34 PM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Here is the best setup you can have:

2 fighter type class
1 priest
1 spellcaster
1 rogue
1 something else, depending on your playing style. It could be another tank, a priest, a spellcaster,...
Old 10-06-2002, 05:16 PM   #3
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks for the advise.
Old 10-06-2002, 05:18 PM   #4
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Luvian's pretty much got that taped. That's the "standard" party setup, which is usually safest for the first time through a game. Do take at least one pure fighter; they get many more feats than anyone else and grow into pure killing machines.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 06:59 PM   #5
Dpshw
Welcomed New User

i use 2 melee
1 druid that i use for melee and healing and support spellcasting
1 rogue
and 1 wizard and a sorcerer
this kind of party is pretty effective and can pass almost everything u find [img]smile.gif[/img]
Dpshw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 12:08 PM   #6
Magness
Quintesson

Definitely 2 tank types up front
1 medic (cleric or druid)
1 arcane spellcaster (wizard or sorceror)
1 rogue

As nightowl2 states take a pure fighter as 1 of the tanks, although a barbarian is a great substitute.

You really need a medic. I prefer clerics because they get their Heal and Mass Heal spells spell level earlier than druids.

Arcane spellcasters. Both sorcerors and wizards can put out the damage. Sorcerors require more planning and understanding of the spells because the spells you select are the ones you're stuck with. But a well-built sorceror is a serious kick-butt spellcaster.

When it comes to selecting skills, sorcerors make good party spokesmen because of their his CHA. In my current party my sorc splits his skill points between concentration and diplomacy.

OTOH, Wizards get tons of skill points. Split them evenly among the wizard-type skills and you'll be in good shape. Never have to use an Identify spell or pay for ID.
You'll also get a good chance to recognize incoming spells and possible repond.

My first party:
Aasimar Paladin
Dwarven Fighter
Human Rogue
Elven Wizard
Human Bard
Elven Cleric (of Lathander)

My second party:
Half-Orc Barbarian
Aasimar Paladin
Elven Wizard
Human Sorceror
Strongheart Halfling Rogue
Dwarven Cleric (Battleguard of Tempus)

I liked my second party better. With the first party, I was learning the 3rd ed rules and was surprised by the changes to the Bard class. Having both a wizard and a Sorceror give me the best of both and tons of spellcasting power. The cleric is my 3rd tank when needed.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 03:24 PM   #7
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks for the advise people i made a one fighter one wizard a sorcer a cleric a ranger and a rogue. so i guess that should be fine.