Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2004, 01:09 PM   #1
Blood_Golem
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've already played through and completed Icewind Dale once and am going through it again. I've been thinking of buying HoW and I was wondering if it is a worthwile buy and a good expansion?
Cheers
Old 08-24-2004, 01:46 PM   #2
Aerich
Lord Ao

Yes and yes.

Actually, the expansion can be somewhat tedious, as it is all about the fighting. But if you like that (as you must, since you are going to play IWD again), it's fine. The second expansion, Trials of the Luremaster, is better, and it's a free download.

Where HoW is really exceptional is in the tweaks it makes to the gameplay of the original IWD. Better screen resolutions, higher XP cap (and better chance to reach it) and most importantly, more spells, items, and abilities.

Druids get more shapechange options (elementals!) and clean up in spells. An offensively-minded druid can now rival a mage in power; they have less formidable direct-damage spells, but get many spells that damage over time, and they have hands down the best early to mid-level summons and very solid high level summons.

Bards also do well. They now get an assortment of songs, some of which will save your party's bacon.

So yes, I would recommend the expansion.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:02 PM   #3
NobleNick
Quintesson

Blood_Golem,

I went to dredge up one of my old posts (from before I entered HoW), to answer your question; but while I was gone, Aerich did a fine job of it. Still, as a means of seconding his opinion, I offer the following...

IF you can get it, install HoW, now; even if you intend to play through IWD without entering the HoW/TotLM areas. It does so much more than just give you an extra area to explore. I haven't even entered the HoW areas, yet, and I LOVE HoW!! Why? Because it allows you to bump up the screen resolution, which allows you to see the entire battle (no screen jerks) and makes the whole game less claustrophobic. That single feature is worth getting and installing HoW, right there. Don't foget that the alt-key "see anything of interest" is a HoW feature. You get more export slots and character appearance/sound options. Gameplay is rebalanced (for the better). Expo caps are, for virtually all intents and purposes, removed. HoF mode (a HoW feature) gives excellent replay. Oh, and, of course, the package enables extra adventuring areas of HoW and the free download: TotLM.

Bards, which are a so-so character in IWD, ROCK in HoW! Especially if you have a party heavy on melee-types (fighters, paladins, druids, priests, etc.). Druids did very well in the upgrade, also; and a Fighter/Druid DC is one of my favorite characters.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote