Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2004, 12:15 PM   #11
Ehrys
Manshoon

I think the main reason why people dislike Lawyers is because they are often viewed as being fence-sitters. Law is not necessarily equated to good nor evil, but often times with lawyers, it seems like they're fence-sitting.

I have respect for lawyers and journalists who uphold the ethical and morale ideals of society.

Most of the people I know who like lawyers are parents... "you need to marry a lawyer, doctor, etc." hehehe. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2004, 01:02 PM   #12
Aerich
Lord Ao

Well, as a law student, I should probably toss in my $2 about why lawyers are disliked (no charge, of course [img]smile.gif[/img] ).

1) Criminal defense lawyers - because every law show on T.V. features these guys. You probably have a higher proportion of "scumbuckets" in this area than in any other area of law. It is (IMHO) the most demanding and ethically challenging area, and sometimes lawyers mess up or lose sight of their duty.

A defense lawyer must do a good job requiring the state to prove its case, even if (s)he must ruthlessly cross-examine witnesses, challenge their credibility, or defend someone who has done something wrong. Even though that may seem wrong, it does serve a purpose. There have been a number of recent cases coming to light in Canada and the USA where innocent people (discovered by way of DNA technology, deathbed confessions, and new inquiries into flawed trials) have been sent to jail, especially for murder. Witnesses do not have good memories of events by the time cases go to trial.

People see criminal defense lawyers (in real-life and on shows) defending high-profile clients who may have committed heinous crimes, and ask, "how could an ethical person defend someone like that?" TL has already stated the reasons why, and I've just expanded on them a little.

2) Shades of grey/nitpicking - It's a lawyer's job to break an issue down into its component parts and analyse each one. This approach involves a perspective that many people would call "warped." It often requires challenging contemporary wisdom and public opinion. It may also be characterized as time-wasting or "missing the big picture."

I'll let a journalist tackle why journalists are disliked.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:09 PM   #13
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Maybe journalists would be more respected if, like lawyers, accountants, doctors, realtors, etc., they had to get a license and could have it revoked if they did things like lie. [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]
Boy, I'll vote for that. BTW, I do not hate lawyers, having had my butt saved by them. Especially TL, who is in a class by himself.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:52 PM   #14
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
I think the main reason why people dislike Lawyers is because they are often viewed as being fence-sitters.
Lawyers aren't fence-sitters by and large. They have beliefs and exercise them to a great deal in their private lives. But, you have to be able to fully understand and flesh out the other side's argument in order to defeat it. Additionally, you have to move from offense to defense depending on the client you represent and the given situation. So, professionally, we're flip-floppers. [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img] Nature of the beast.

Now, personally, I do admit to being a fence-sitter. That's not because I don't have strong opinions (I do), but rather because I simply realize everyone is so darned wrong all the time. Myself included.

And, Atty, thanks. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Erm... I think. [img]graemlins/erm.gif[/img]

[ 07-08-2004, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 07-08-2004, 07:16 PM   #15
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Don't know about the US, but down here you can get a diploma in Journalism. It's not needed, since Journalism is an open profession, but it does make finding a job alot easier. Besides that, every journalist who makes significant errors can find themselves before the Council of Journalism. And believe me, losing a case there can have serious consequences. Some journalists here have been sacked because of it. For the people who are interested in this topic, these articles contain a bit of summary of the qualifications Journalists must meet in various European countries.

[ 07-09-2004, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: Dreamer128 ]
Old 07-08-2004, 10:06 PM   #16
Lauren
Baaz Draconian

In Australia, you can go to university and get a Bachelor of Journalism. And that is what I plan on doing when I finish high school.
Anyways, I can understand why celebrities dislike journalist, especially annoying ones.
But I don't intend to be that kind of journalist, I don't want to lie about people, I don't like to lie, I will only tell the truth about them, and publish the things that they only want published.
"So many thoughts running through my head, I know what you feel, I know what you dread; When a room's filled with laughter, when a room's filled with lies, you're the only one I know that's in disguise..."
Old 07-08-2004, 10:55 PM   #17
Aerich
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Lauren:
In Australia, you can go to university and get a Bachelor of Journalism. And that is what I plan on doing when I finish high school.
Anyways, I can understand why celebrities dislike journalist, especially annoying ones.
But I don't intend to be that kind of journalist, I don't want to lie about people, I don't like to lie, I will only tell the truth about them, and publish the things that they only want published.
You can get a bachelor of journalism here too.

Just be warned, a good journalist telling the truth may be publishing things that people REALLY don't want published.

Make sure you take some history courses too; they'll give you a better sense of perspective on current events and help polish your writing skills.

(::cough, the guy with a B.A. in history puts in a plug justifying his undergrad degree:: ) [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 07-08-2004, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: Aerich ]
Old 07-09-2004, 11:29 AM   #18
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

I am going to law school when I graduate. I want to become one... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Whatever the like/dislike on this particular profession, it will not deter me from studying law.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:45 PM   #19
Aerich
Lord Ao

Most lawyers get a bad rap. There's nothing wrong with the profession, and most Bar Associations have very high ethical standards. A shady lawyer can get into a LOT of trouble if someone actually takes the time to complain. Not only that, but a dishonest lawyer gets a bad rep among his/her peers.

Of course, that will spark a 5-hour hair-splitting debate about the dividing line between honest and dishonest conduct. [img]smile.gif[/img]