Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2003, 05:43 AM   #11
Masklinn

Dogs are smarter, by far.

I don't know any police cat, fireman cat or cat for blind people...

Besides, cats are the most egoisitic and meanest creature in the world. They come to you only when they wanna eat and the rest of the time they're...elsewhere.

They eat babies too.

Oh and I'm allergic to them
Old 07-21-2003, 07:59 AM   #12
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Cats are smarter. They know how to get your attention, they know how to go to the toilet in a litter tray... the reason you never hear of a police cat or fireman cat or seeing eye cat is because they're too small. Doesn't stop them from getting around, though... asif the way they jump wasn't enough to awe people, they can walk down a fence or even a highwire as easily as walking down the street... including turning around. AND it's true that they always manage to land on their feet [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2003, 10:01 AM   #13
Stratos
Vampire

Question Mark

Dogs are pack animals which have to learn the rules of the group to be accepted so they are by nature easier to teach different tricks. They of course only do the tricks because they expects to get treats or to gratify the 'leader of the pack' i.e. the owner or anyone else who has a higher status than they have in the group.

Cats on the other hand are more individualistic animals so they don't have the same need to please someone else like dogs do.

Which one is the smartest is an endless discussion. *cough [img]graemlins/kitty1.gif[/img] cough* [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 07-21-2003, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 07-21-2003, 10:03 AM   #14
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

I disagree with the statement that cat's can't learn tricks. My cat that I had when I was young and the 2 I have now know "beg", "sit" and "lie down". The younger one plays fetch too, but be warned, don't start playing that game with her unless you're willing to keep it up for the next hour or more. And getting up and moving won't help, she'll just follow you with the toy.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:11 PM   #15
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by harleyquinn:
don't start playing that game with her unless you're willing to keep it up for the next hour or more. And getting up and moving won't help, she'll just follow you with the toy.
That sounds like my cat. He'll play until he's worn out, and that usually takes close to 30 minutes. If I ever give up on him, he'll follow me around "crying".

He can do some neat tricks, but most you'd have to see to believe.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:33 PM   #16
Thoran
Galvatron

Cat's can learn tricks, the difficulty is that they're not as easily motivated as dogs. I tend to think of cats and dogs as roughly equivelant intelligence wise although they're VERY different in the KIND of intelligence.

My wife works with dog and they're very good at figuring out what you want them to do, as long as you're good at feeding back that they're doing it right/wrong... they are also have IMO the closest bond to humans of any other animal, almost symbiotic for working dogs and ranchers. They see us as a part of their pack (the Alpha members), and because we've got that role they're perfectly willing to do what we want.

For cats it's totally different, they very good at figuring out how to get what THEY want. If you want to train a cat you'd better figure out what they want and use that as a tool to get them to do what you want... a much more difficult task. We used to have Finches... our Siamese managed to get to them no matter where we put the cage. He'd knock over the cage, push it around until it opened, then grab the birds as they tried to escape. We replaced several and finally suspended the cage from an 8' cieling in the middle of an open room, this worked for a couple weeks, then one day I walked into the room and there was Poe, suspended from the bottom of the cage... he'd jumped over 6' STRAIGHT UP and grabbed the bottom of the cage, he was in the process of swinging his body back and forth using his tail. He had the whole cage rocking as he tried to dislodge it from the hook. I yelled and he dropped to the floor, sat down and licked a paw... then gave me a look like "you wanted something?". We gave the birds away, we knew we'd been beaten.
Old 07-21-2003, 04:58 PM   #17
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Dogs are just that much better. Like Masklinn said. When was the last police Cat? Or guide Cat? Pffh... Cats just come for food then run off for days. A dog stands by.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:14 PM   #18
Chewbacca
Zartan

Cats, though I have seen my cat drag her butt on the carpet when things in the litter box didnt go as planned. I'm ashamed to admit it was one of the funniest things I have ever seen, almost as funny as us chasing her around with baby wipes trying to help solve the problem.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:21 PM   #19
Grojlach
Zartan

Dogs, of course. They were the ones who won in that Cats & Dogs-movie, after all. And if it's in a movie, is just *has* to be true, right?
Old 07-21-2003, 05:23 PM   #20
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Dogs are superior to cats in some ways and cats are superior to dogs in some ways.