Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2002, 06:04 AM   #11
KHaN
Drow Warrior

LOL...okay...(for all you MOO fans) who here remembers StarLords?
Did you guys play Kings Bounty on the C64 like I did? I would still play it if I had it (and a working C64 )
Old 01-09-2002, 11:15 AM   #12
Durwyn
Elminster

Hmmm. Well lets see... I was 7 years of age, I was still living in Moscow, Russia. hehe I remember sitting at my friends house on his 456 Procesor comp, with Windows 93 I believe, playing HoMMI, ahh the times were great. We'd come right from school, the heck with everything, just sit down, and play until around 8 PM, and back then schools in Russia finished at around 11:30 PM, at least for us, 1-2nd graders. So yeah, it was quite fun, it is the best by far, HoMMI that is. But then I also remember a couple years later, just like that, we were now playing HoMMII and HoMMII was REALLY good, I mean wow that game had such a nice atmosphere, a great magic and might spirit I loved it.

But to tell ya the truth, I think all three are very well done. The Add-ons are pretty good too if you like the genre. But they do lack something. I mean its become a legacy with any game. The first couple are always the best, everything else that comes with it afterwards is always the wort or not as good as the first couple. For example BattleTech. Ah great times with that, Cresent Hawks, MechWarrior 1 was great, MW2 was great as well, MW3 was awesome a big progress. MW4, better graphics, better sounds, private insignias on your Mechs, but it overall it sucked. On the otherhand MW3 ruled because they used a real graphic engine that they use for US Computer Generated Naval Simulations in US Navy. But MW2 and 1 were still absolutely the best games for MechWarrior Simulation. Same thing with IWD, Icewind Dale, by my opnion was best. Heart of Winter was better graphics but still not as good as Icewind Dale, not even the fact that its shorter but the fact it just doesnt have that feel. However from the screens I've seen for HoMM4 it looks like the graphics will change, and the game will get some progress done for it. I'm just hoping it will be indeed progress, and so far it seems so. I mean I dont 3DO would ruin such a good game by releasing a sequel with better graphics hehe... doesnt make sence.. So there's always hope!
Old 01-09-2002, 11:21 AM   #13
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Dobry Dyen, Durwyn! (hate not having Cyrillic font!)

Anyway, my written Russian's getting rusty these days.. LOL

I have all the Heroes of Might And Magic to date, except the little modules (campaigns) that have come out seperately since III.

I like the game alot but got kind of bored after a while. Now that I've been away from it for a year I may start playing again. So a new one is coming out? Sounds good!

Cloudy
Old 01-09-2002, 11:26 AM   #14
fable
Quintesson

All you fellow HOMM fans may want to look for Etherlords. I was very impressed with that game, and it just recently showed up. It's kind of a mix of Magic: The Gathering and HOMM. Your heroes move around really beautiful, animated 3D screens, and move to combat mode when they land on a stationary monster or an active enemy.

Then you're in turn-based combat, same as HOMM, but you cast effects from spell cards that are randomly shuffled, which you've previously purchased. The 3D animations are fantastic, and each monster or enemy as their own deck strategy for defeating you.

The game's nowhere near as long as the HOMM series; I think there are nine scenarios to each side of the campaign. But you can play in multiplayer mode, devise your own scenarios, and go one-up on various monsters, even building your own deck. Damn thing's addictive. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2002, 11:40 AM   #15
Arvon
Unicorn

For what it's wroth, Computer Gaming World said HOM&M IV is due in march 2002. 3DO have had so many release dates for this and M&M 9. I don't believe any of them.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 01-09-2002, 12:28 PM   #16
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Etherlords sounds interesting, fable! How is it for running, any glitches or problems?

Arvon, I hear you! Those release dates don't always mean anything! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cloudy, playing HoW and Trials of the Luremaster at the moment
Old 01-09-2002, 12:33 PM   #17
fable
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Etherlords sounds interesting, fable! How is it for running, any glitches or problems?

Very, very well. And it looks great. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2002, 12:37 PM   #18
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by fable:

Very, very well. And it looks great. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks, I may look for it next time I'm game shopping!
Old 01-09-2002, 05:19 PM   #19
Durwyn
Elminster

Now, as I'm sure ye all noticed by now, me bein' a big HoMM fan, fable, would you be kind enough to post a link perhaps that I can look at a review maybe some screen shots? BTW is it out yet? hehe, and thanks! I need more new obsessions heheh.
Old 01-09-2002, 07:07 PM   #20
fable
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by Durwyn:
Now, as I'm sure ye all noticed by now, me bein' a big HoMM fan, fable, would you be kind enough to post a link perhaps that I can look at a review maybe some screen shots? BTW is it out yet? hehe, and thanks! I need more new obsessions heheh.

Try www.etherlords.com [img]smile.gif[/img]

Note that the website is very strong on information, but it's a little tricky finding the screens. Try this page: http://www.etherlords.com/flash/usa/...hics.php?rnd=1

Or simply move the slider above the logo over to the point where "art" is written (in very small print).

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: fable ]