Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2001, 07:19 PM   #1
Malecite
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello.
About the item editor is their something im doing wrong? I read the posts regarding only making slight changes to an item and saving each change as a different .itm file. However I load an existing item make a small change such as the description and save it as a new .itm, when i insert it into the game to test it the dam game freezes. I have even tried just making a ring A RING! with its images and stack value ect... and yet the game still locks up. I mean its the bare minimum change and i cant even insert it into the game.
What am I doing wrong?

Please help me out guys I know im close but its bugging me that it keeps freezing.

Thank you kindly.
Old 03-15-2001, 12:43 AM   #2
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Could you specify exactly what you do with the ring?
For me I started out with a Long Sword +1, gave it +1 fire damage, renamed it and saved the .itm file in my override folder. It worked fine until one day I made an item, it crashed the game, and the editor has'nt worked since. Must be some bug in the editor, or your item has scripted values, or just something wrong with the system. Try starting an item from scratch, starting simple (like a normal longsword with +1 damage or something, dont bother with Thac0 bonus) and build up (I was using a super overpowered weapon that boosted my stats, hasted, level drained, added to armor class, did fire and acid damage, stunned and could cause instant death just to see how far I could go).
Then one day I tried doing a sword that added to my mage abilities and tampered with it so that it could be used by mages and the game just refused to load up my save game.

------------------
Why?
Old 03-15-2001, 02:36 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Malecite:
Hello.
About the item editor is their something im doing wrong? I read the posts regarding only making slight changes to an item and saving each change as a different .itm file. However I load an existing item make a small change such as the description and save it as a new .itm, when i insert it into the game to test it the dam game freezes. I have even tried just making a ring A RING! with its images and stack value ect... and yet the game still locks up. I mean its the bare minimum change and i cant even insert it into the game.
What am I doing wrong?

Please help me out guys I know im close but its bugging me that it keeps freezing.

Thank you kindly.
You need to provide more detailed information. I can't begin to tell you what you're doing wrong if I don't know what you're trying to do. A good place to start would be to make sure that you are using the latest editor. You haven't specified which editor you're using - is it IEEP v1.0.5. build 17?

Realize though that editing is tricky and that errors/crashes/bugs etc will occur, and it is not always possible to work out why, usually because you might have left one value out. It's all a matter of practice and trial and error, that's how we all learned it.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 03-15-2001, 11:26 AM   #4
Malecite
Elite Waterdeep Guard

First let me thank you for responding. I am using the latest editor from the bgteam developers site and a recent bout of frustration led me to delete the damned thing from my hard drive. The editor it seems will work for one time after installation, once I tamper with items shut off my computer and go do something else the editor will no longer work when I turn it back on. For instance I fidled with a ring changed say the name that was it (onxy ring added a g to the end of it). When I inserted it into shadow keeper as say the "ring of time" the game locked up while loading. The only change I made was to theescription where I added a g. As to the editor not working I shut down my computer went to eat dinner turned it back on and whenever I inserted something with shadow keeper (say the ring of time, onxy with a g) I would save it on shadow keeper and then the item would dissapear from the inventor slot on Shadow keeper. Phew any way Im going to redownload everything and if I cant get the editor to do the simplest of things then I beleive ill quit and leave making items to people like you guys. Also what happends if you play on the internet and give someone a custom made item?
Old 03-16-2001, 06:42 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Your editor doesn't seem to be working right. I'll just repeat the instructions here in case. What you should be doing is:
  1. Use Shadowkeeper Inventory Browser to find an item to copy/modify.
  2. When you find it, make a note of the item code (to the right of the description - widen your window if you can't see it) and click on the Export Item button. This will export to your BG2 override folder as an ITM file.
  3. Close Shadowkeeper as having this open can stuff up the way IEEP (Infinity Editor) works.
  4. Open IEEP.
  5. Click File and Load Item File. Load the item file you are going to modify.
  6. Make your changes (try small ones at the start, like making an item +2 instead of +1 or changing the name and item description). It's a good idea to save as a different version after each change.
  7. When happy with the final copy, save into your override folder.
  8. Either use Shadowkeeper to cheat it into your inventory or use CLUAConsole.

The above process should work with no problems. Let us know how you go.

------------------
Old 03-16-2001, 11:39 AM   #6
Malecite
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the tips Memnoch Ill try what you said I think what may have been the problem is that I had IIE explorer open with shadowkeeper when I loaded the item editor. This would make sense as when you attempt to save you experience problems with the game code. Im at school right now(grade 12 spare period) and im bored as hell so Ill give it a shot when I get home. Also What happens when you give someone a custom made item on say mplayer or icp/tcp connection?

Thanks alot guys!
Old 03-16-2001, 11:45 AM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Malecite:
Also What happens when you give someone a custom made item on say mplayer or icp/tcp connection?

Thanks alot guys!
Sorry you lost me on this. If what you're asking is will your character be able to keep custom weapons while playing a MP game, that's up to the game leader if he wants to allow that. The game leader sets the permissions.

------------------
Old 03-16-2001, 05:03 PM   #8
Malecite
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Oh so lets say you introduced the weapon you made (no else has seen it before) onto the internet it wouldn't crash others comps or anything? And anyway im home now and I redownloaded everything and my new item a staff just a regular staff disapears from the item slot. Now Im confused as to the destroyed pick every item seems to have a different line of code what does it mean? Also the description picture, do you fill one in for every item or no. Man i wish I could get this to work but I think ill fiddle some more and ask questions more often.
Old 03-17-2001, 04:03 AM   #9
Bristowe
Elminster

Make sure when you name your items, ie: the name you type in the game's CLUAConsole, CreateItem("XXXX"). Make sure that name is not too long, 6-7 characters is the limit i think... I found this out the hard way...

------------------
Yes indeed...
Old 03-18-2001, 01:36 PM   #10
DJG
Symbol of Cyric

What is this and where do you downlaod it????

------------------
Starstryke will Stryke U!