Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2003, 05:34 PM   #1
Malavon's Rage
Elminster

Lol, it always seams that I'm the one bringing this up, but oh well. Many people believe that Elminster is "overpowered". I say no, maybe a little, but not much. Let's look at the facts...

-In the Shandril saga (I'll use that as an example), he is 200+ years old. I'm GUESSING that an archmage is atleast 60 years old? And that's probably only if they have studied into magic intensley. Elminster has done this for...200+ years. Statistically he's like at least 3-4 archmages for the price of one!

-He's very much favored my Mystra, seeing as how he's a "Chosen of Mystra".

So I ask you, thinking of this, should we be thinking that he is overpowered for no reason?
Old 07-01-2003, 06:09 PM   #2
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Malavon's Rage:
-In the Shandril saga (I'll use that as an example), he is 200+ years old. I'm GUESSING that an archmage is atleast 60 years old? And that's probably only if they have studied into magic intensley. Elminster has done this for...200+ years. Statistically he's like at least 3-4 archmages for the price of one!
Actually, according to the BG1 Manual:
"...it is suspected that Elminster learned his magical arts at the feet of Arkhon the Old, who died in what is now Waterdeep over 500 years ago" [p 56]
So I guess he really IS that old. Besides, he's supposed to be a 29th level wizard, and I mean, there really aren't that many archmages around that part of the sword cost [The only ones that really come to mind are Thalantyr and Ulraunt; Volo isn't really a great wizard, if you know what I mean.] They've gotta have archmages <u>somewhere</u>, right? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2003, 06:21 PM   #3
Rokenn
Galvatron

who is this Elminster guy? Some Gandalf wanna-be? [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/hidesbehindsofa.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2003, 06:27 PM   #4
Malavon's Rage
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
who is this Elminster guy? Some Gandalf wanna-be? [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]

Lol, it never struck me that Gandalf and Elminster really do look alike; robes and pointy hats, just thank god that Elminster isn't stupid enough to run around with a sword waving around his head. Except Elminster is easily more powerful than Gandalf. And another question, in your own opinion, what level mage would Gandalf be?
Old 07-01-2003, 06:28 PM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by True_Moose:
Besides, he's supposed to be a 29th level wizard, and I mean, there really aren't that many archmages around that part of the sword cost [The only ones that really come to mind are Thalantyr and Ulraunt; Volo isn't really a great wizard, if you know what I mean.] They've gotta have archmages <u>somewhere</u>, right? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
What about Khelben Blackstaff Arunson, Elminster's one-time apprentice and friend?

Anywho, when FR first came out, Elminster was a L29 Mage. Last time I checked the FR Second Edition listings for him, he was a L30+ Mage/ L30+ Priest. Apparently his power has grown exponentially since Ed Greenwood gave him over to the industry some 20 years ago.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:30 PM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Gandalf is a wizard/priest avatar thingy. Isn't that more powerful?

Who cares. My god can beat up your god. [img]graemlins/hidesbehindsofa.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2003, 06:31 PM   #7
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Rokenn:

Lol, it never struck me that Gandalf and Elminster really do look alike; robes and pointy hats, just thank god that Elminster isn't stupid enough to run around with a sword waving around his head. Except Elminster is easily more powerful than Gandalf. And another question, in your own opinion, what level mage would Gandalf be? </font>[/QUOTE]Gandalf is a demi-god (ie one of the Maia). And has a Ring of Power. Poor Elminster would not stand a chance. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2003, 06:32 PM   #8
Malavon's Rage
Elminster

Gandalf is an avator? Never heard that before...
Old 07-01-2003, 06:34 PM   #9
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Gandalf is an avator? Never heard that before...
Gandalf
Old 07-01-2003, 07:55 PM   #10
Tancred
White Dragon

The main reason we don't see Gandalf doing any serious stuff is because he isn't allowed. He and the other Wizards are bound by an oath never to take up arms against Sauron, nor fight directly against him or his minions. They're only there to co-ordinate the fight.

The two main exceptions are when he becomes Gandalf the White, in which case we assume he has returned to the world with a greater 'authority' to use his powers, and against the Balrog, which was not a servant of Sauron and so Gandalf was clear to use the full force of his power. Seriously, if Gandalf was some kind of hedge-wizard who could only light fires and look scary, he couldn't have beaten what was in D&D terms a major demon.

Elminster seems to have the edge because Elminster is answerable to no-one. [img]smile.gif[/img]