Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2002, 05:34 AM   #11
Deathbringer

I have one solution that never fails, punch your DM in the face , voilence solves everything [img]tongue.gif[/img] .

nah seriously, why don't you try DM'ing yourself. I'm sure your current DM wouldn't mind a break. Anyway, get his character all alone and throw an army of beholder's at his pathetic low level character eh eh eh.. teach him a lesson by giving him a taste of his own medicine , and if he asks why you were picking on him, say you were just trying to be like him

Old 08-20-2002, 06:23 AM   #12
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Jafin:
You fought a White Dragon at what level?! Ummm... Are you sure your DM has a Monstrous Manual and actually knows what he's doing? I mean, that just doesn't seem right, not to mention that it was a random encounter. Maybe you oughta have a talk with him about what you're encountering unless everybody else is ok with it. He kinda sounds like he's inexperienced from the little I can learn from what you said. Like a lot of other people said, maybe you should find another group to play with or at least get a new DM or something... Asking if you could go on a couple solo adventures like somebody also said would probably help to. Just my 2 cents

-Jafin
My DM knows exactly what he`s doing - he has been DMing for years. He just likes to make it very difficult, but he knows another DM that is even more crazy ..
Arledrian, i disagree. im loving AD&D but the dying really pisses me off.

Actually, i`d be very ok with it if my whole party would die but if its just me and all the others get the exp and loot.. it really makes me quite angry
Old 08-20-2002, 06:31 AM   #13
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Deathbringer:
I have one solution that never fails, punch your DM in the face , voilence solves everything [img]tongue.gif[/img] .

nah seriously, why don't you try DM'ing yourself. I'm sure your current DM wouldn't mind a break. Anyway, get his character all alone and throw an army of beholder's at his pathetic low level character eh eh eh.. teach him a lesson by giving him a taste of his own medicine , and if he asks why you were picking on him, say you were just trying to be like him
*punches Deathbringer in the face* hey, it does!

This doesn't sound fair, uss. Ask him for the solo adventures, as has already been suggested, or ask to start anew.

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 08-20-2002, 07:23 AM   #14
Jorath Calar
Harper

Sheesh your DM sucks, he should cut you some slack.
I DM for guys who just started out, and if they die I allow them to come back with the same character after the adventure, it has only happened once, because I also try to make it fun for then by letting them fight monsters that are about their own level...

If you continue playing with this DM look out for the Tarrasque in the near future [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2002, 08:38 AM   #15
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

uss,

I would say it's time to DUMP your gaming group and head for greener pastures. In every encounter you've described, YOUR character has been the only one permanently killed...and royally screwed on experience. I've read your different Posts and there is NO doubt that the DM is giving you the shaft...for whatever reason. He is plain and simply screwing you over.

For all the others that offered advice, uss HAS tried running from superior foes, he HAS talked to the DM about doing solo adventures, he HAS complained about his character having to start ALL over from scratch while the rest of the party keeps advancing merrily along.

The ONLY other suggestion I can give you is to play a truly EVIL character. When you party camps for the night and it is your turn to take watch....go around and slit EVERYBODY'S THROAT! You'll get mega-experience (if the DM truly rewards for playing "in character") AND the rest of the Party will be back down to YOUR level.

And since the DM makes your create a BRAND NEW character each time, the players can't justify bringing in a "posse" to exact revenge on your character. Their new characters wouldn't know ANYTHING about what you did to their predecessors.

[ 08-20-2002, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: Cerek the Barbaric ]
Old 08-20-2002, 08:52 AM   #16
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well when I run games, I usually let people have a way out if they really like their character so they donīt have to hassle too much to get a new one back. The 50% XP doesnīt work to well so we usually go with 75% from the highest XP in the group but less then the previous earlier.

Also, death should be in a game but not happen to the same person all the time, takes the fun out of it.

If you get resurected, you owe a church ALOT of favours.

Permanent death is ok every once and awhile since that is the course of the game sometimes. It also makes the characters a bit more careful about the characters. However, death by bad rolling in stupid situations have been removed from our game. If they die, they die because they try to be stupid er heroic I meant.. in a situation where it is "suitable" and also acceptable.

The game is made to be fun, and if you canīt have fun in your game. You seriously should reconcider the group you are playing with.

Donīt eat the yellow snow
Old 08-20-2002, 11:00 AM   #17
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Uss, I agree fully with Cerek here. It is ridiculous to put up with what you're going through. I can assure you, that is NOT the way that AD&D is normally played.

You've played the BG series, right? Did they put a dragon in the Nashkell Mines in the first game? Any Beholders in the Cloakwood? No way! You had kobolds and spiders. You never even see a dragon until the 2nd game, and then you're at least 9th level. It's called game balance. There is no way that 4th-6th level characters can reasonably take on a white dragon. That is absurd. It sounds like you have a mini-despot as a DM. Sad to say, a lot of DM's are like that...they take out their petty aggressions on their players and that is WRONG. I DM'd for many years, and I never threw anything out at my players that they couldn't reasonably handle. Especially not on "random encounters." Sounds like the DM is either A) Lazy, B) Vindictive, or C) both.

If you can, seek out another gaming group. Or try to find players online. There's http://www.webrpg.com/ for example, although I think they charge. There are others, though. You can at least get an idea of some of the options you may have.

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 08-20-2002, 11:31 AM   #18
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:

Also, death should be in a game but not happen to the same person all the time, takes the fun out of it.

Having played in one of your game the words Gnome and poisoned lute come to mind!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 08-20-2002, 12:18 PM   #19
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by uss:
My DM knows exactly what he`s doing - he has been DMing for years. He just likes to make it very difficult, but he knows another DM that is even more crazy ..
Arledrian, i disagree. im loving AD&D but the dying really pisses me off.

Actually, i`d be very ok with it if my whole party would die but if its just me and all the others get the exp and loot.. it really makes me quite angry
Knowing what hes doing is not the same thing as being a good DM. Making it hard is no bad thing - but not to this degree. Two more points - in the rule book it advises, no instrutcts DMs to fudge dice roles so that more fun can be had by all.

And if I was DMing your party theres no *way* in the nine hells a White Dragon would be played just as a straight battle.

Even if it is a random encounter, there is no excuse for playing it as:

Oh, you encounter a white dragon 50 yards in front of you!

Instead, such an enounter should be more along the lines of you seeing signs of a dragon, having an opertunity to skulk past or make an attempt on it, getting a chance to get all your Protectiong from Cold spells ready and so on. Turn it into a mini-quest and make it interesting.

Once again, talk it over and see if something to balance things out cant be arranged. If all else fails start writing bonuses into your characters history. (When the next overpowering foe shows up you can casualy announce your putting on the ring of wizardry that you inherited from your father that is mentioned in the histroy the DM glanced over and approved)

Oh and players who would resurrect the most powerful character over the player who keeps getting shafted deserve things I cant go into here.
Old 08-20-2002, 03:11 PM   #20
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
Oh and players who would resurrect the most powerful character over the player who keeps getting shafted deserve things I cant go into here.
Aye, and there's the rub, andrewas.

I don't think they DID resurrect "the most powerful" character.

uss - What CLASS was the other character? Even if he/she is two levels higher, I seriously doubt they have 87 hit points and are +12 to damage. That's extremely powerful (at least for melee')

Secondly - HOW is a dragon able to do 12d6+12 EACH ROUND???? In 1st Edition, dragons could only use their breath 3 times per day. I agree that's WAAAAAY too weak.....but using their breath EVERY ROUND is WAAAAY too strong. Any dragon that can deal out THAT kind of damage should be facing a 15-20 level party!

I don't play evil characters, but I still say you should just kill them all. According to AD&D rules (1st Edition again, I admit), you can kill one "helpless" victim PER SEGMENT! THAT'S 10 PER ROUND!......and sleeping characters ARE considered "helpless". You don't have to "roll to hit". They are asleep and immobile.....the "hit" is automatic.

I'm serious, uss. If the DM ISN'T out to "just screw YOU over", then he cannot penalize you for killing the party. Now, there's a good chance you'll meet another random mega-beast on the way home and get killed again......so wait until you're spending the night in an inn.

If the DM doesn't allow you to do that, or the entire party "suddenly" wakes up and discovers your treachery......well, that should answer a LOT of questions.

Sorry, man, but it sounds like the DM and the REST of the group are treating you like the proverbial "yard dog".....simply beating you senseless everytime you turn around.

[ 08-20-2002, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Cerek the Barbaric ]