Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2001, 11:15 PM   #1
DorjaVee
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If you can afford it, the poison dagger in the Thunderhammer Smmithy is worth it for your thief. You backstab, and if the thing isn't dead the poison will kill it.

------------------
DorjaVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 10:05 AM   #2
StarVid
Elminster

Well, your thief has to actually hit something with it. I'm using Imoen, and at level 5 she still usually misses a backstab. Montaron would be good with this, assuming you're keeping an evil party. Furthermore, Kivan could use it. Granted, he doesn't get backstab damage, but (espec. with specialization), he can hit more often, and still do more damage, plus switch over to a better weapon once the enemy is poisoned.

On a side note, in the 2nd ed. rules, good characters are technically not allowed to use the dagger of venom...
StarVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 12:54 PM   #3
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I agree with both of you: The Dagger of Venom kicks butt, but Imoen's 9 Strength is too weak to use it properly. Give it to a Fighter/Thief, or a Ranger, especially since they can all use the Gauntlets of Ogre Power, if neccesary. That being said, you might still want to give the thing to your mage, it being the best melee weapon they can use.
SixOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 01:34 PM   #4
Sorcerer Alex

Yea that dagger is great, it's brilliant for backstabbing mages with too - all their spells get disrupted.

------------------
Flirt King of the HADB
Old 10-02-2001, 11:00 PM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

You know, now that you mention it, there aren't any Good-aligned Thieves with high Strength. Imoen has 9, Alora has 8, and Coran's a Fighter/Thief with 14. The Evil side, however, has Montaron and Shar-Teel, with 16 [I think] and 1something). Maybe Bioware was indeed trying to tell us something about Alignment and using the Dagger of Venom, as StarVid said.
SixOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 01:25 AM   #6
Darkman

I had money to burn so I bought the Dagger of Venom and gave it to Jahiera to use in melee situations (hey, it's better than a club!). I use a short sword +2 for Imoen, so she can actually make contact when backstabbing. Actually, Jahiera hasn't had a chance to use that dagger yet, but I bet it will be fairly effective in the hands of a fighter. I haven't faced any really tough mages yet (I'm only in Ch. 5) so I haven't needed to use a poison dagger yet. Butt loads of arrows/bullets seem to work just fine so far
Darkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 09:01 AM   #7
StarVid
Elminster

you know, if Jah could cast sanctuary, she would kick arse with that dagger. She could just sneak up on a mage and get a first attack in...but oh well. I guess my mage could waste an 2nd level spell slot and invis. her...
StarVid is offline   Reply With Quote